Will Not Start after Rat Returned

lowbudget

Reaction score
I take it that you have the car up on stands. I just did a Cummins starter days off. On it you take a box end wrench, put it on the bolt and use a hydraulic jack and piece of 2 x 4 to jack the wrench up to get it to break loose. Or a ratchet/breaker bar and cheater pipe.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Yes it's on stands. I could never get it started again so I couldn't get it on ramps.

I have to go work bee hives this morning but will try again this afternoon

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Those 12 point 10mm Cummins starter bolts are on there - very tight.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Another crisis day ... but I'm sure you all heard me when I got the first nut off!

Fixed breakfast then down to dads.

Dad had a bee hive that got tumped over so I went down there to suit up and spend 1 hr 38 minutes transferring all the frames including the foundation and the queen from one hive to another. They were very unhappy with me.
Usually I get 1 or 2 stings on my hands or forearms.
This time no stings on my body EXCEPT the 11 stings on my ankles.
My ankles ... what were they thinking? I have worked bees for over a decade and never gotten stung so many times nor on my ankles. Bleh.
They are in their new house and I brought home 4 bottles of honey. So there.

To town for goat feed since its gonna get cold and rainy here this weekend.

Fixed lunch upon my return.

Managed to get about another foot on the wall yesterday so I spent about 2 hours pointing the log ends this afternoon. Yea!

By 3 pm I finally got to waller under the chrysler. It took about 30 minutes but i finally got the nut loose on the bottom. Had to quit though, cause dinner is at 4 pm around here and I had to come in and start dinner.

Tomorrow, I can work on walls in the morning, doctor visit in the afternoon and should be home early enough to try getting the topside bolt off.

So if I ever do this again, would a y-exhaust eliminate that dang pre-catalytic box? I swear, with that little jewel in there my hands feel like a giants.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Yes the Canadian Y pipe makes it easy. When I did my latest M body exhaust I was going to pull the starter to help me get at bolts for the Y pipe, but what a pain....I decided to use a sawzall and a cut off wheel instead. I was thinking if I ever need a starter I will go with a mini starter just for the extra room.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Alrighty ... It took me another 3 hours and 20 minutes to get the top bolt out this afternoon.
About 15 minutes to wiggle it out.
Thank you BudW for the recommendation of putting something under it to catch it as it comes down. Dang it was heavy.

Got the new starter (smaller) and had it installed in 20 minutes.

After thinking about everything, I believe that my problem was not trusting the car jacks.
Every time I got under the car I immediately started worrying about what would happen if the car shifted.
Who would take care of husband... would I survive... how long would it take for someone to find me... .... not panic attack, just the litany kept me from feeling confident to get under the car.

After the 3rd hour and being still frustrated about that top bolt, I re-checked the car jacks and despite using the car and car bumper to get up and down, opening and closing the door, etc, there was no evidence that the car had shifted or that the jacks had moved.

I then decided to get under the car the way I should have at the beginning rather than struggling to get to the starter from the side. Took 15 to 20 minutes and I had the bolt out. But I was fully under the car--maybe 14 inches of my legs were showing out from under the car.

Putting the new starter in was the same... very quick.

I didn't put the heat shield back on... wasn't sure I needed it and I was running out of daylight. Needed to get some chores done in the greenhouse and dinner on the table, goats fed, etc.

Will make sure the battery is charged tomorrow, remove the jacks and try starting this vehicle.

I did have to use a car jack to help torque the wrench to get it started, but after that, it was home free.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you used the mini starter, you won’t need the heat shield (it won’t fit anyway).

When those full size starters come down, you had better get out if it’s way.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I used the mini starter 4:1 gear ratio and about half the weight of the old one.

If anyone needs an old style heat shield, I have one available.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Today was a busy day.
Managed to get all the last minute honey do's done before heading to the garden at 1 pm to start putting plastic on the greenhouse (hoophouse) before we get cold weather.(manana).

Six hours later ... we are done .. yea!

Had to finish that last few hours in the dark with flashlights.

Didn't get the goat shelter rehabbed, but I can work in the rain tomorrow and finish that.

So, I did saunter over to the Chrysler and jack it up so I could remove the jack stands.

Removed the charger from the battery (was at 100%).

Tried starting it several times. Now I am back to it trying to start (makes a noise and you can hear the starter windup now), but if seems like it is starving for fuel.

Given that the last person that drove it put in ethanol gas, I'll put some gas treatment in it and pour some good gas down the carb and see if I can get it to turn over.

At least I've moved away from the 'complete silence' problem and back to the doesn't want to start but starter is now working problem.

Lol..
Such an adventure ... my life.. one story after another.

Justwondering

Reaction score
IMG_6426.JPG

Old starter and new starter.
It is so sweet to be able to start the car and it runs.

Back