2019 Project Log

Projects & Restorations

1. M_Body_Coupe

M_Body_Coupe Well-Known Member

BudW:
    I did the swap (a bit of test'n'tune actually) using the extra washers and it worked absolutely fantastic on my setup, bulk of the over-power in the PS was gone.

I am now moving on to the new Borgenson chuck though, so some of that test'n'tune may have to be re-done actually...

2. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Another update...

Power steering is all back together and I'm pleased with the results. Steering feel one the road is nice and firm and with low speed turning I'm no longer getting the jerking feeling from the wheel. It is hard though from a complete stop, almost feels like manual steering. I've got an idea to fix this.

So what I did was I replaced the flow reducer in the pump with one that is rated at 1.8 GPH. At the same time I removed the shims I had in the pressure valve to start at an easy baseline with the intent of adding shims afterwards if necessary. Turns out I don't need any. I want to preserve how I have it dialed in now for driving at speed, but somehow increase assist when I'm at a stop (or when the motor is at low RPM). Seeing as how the valves limit maximum flow and pressure and I have that dialed in, I don't want to screw with it anymore. To increase assist at low RPM I'm going to try and find a smaller pulley. The one I currently have is 6 7/8" in diameter.

The new pressure line I made up out of braided PTFE hose came out great - it sealed right up. It is actually easier to put the fittings on than traditional braided rubber too.

More to come...

20190523_202511.jpg

20190526_185751.jpg

20190526_192113.jpg

3. M_Body_Coupe

M_Body_Coupe Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you found the right "mix"...steering is so important to the overall feel of the car that it's nice to have it "just right".

Heck, as you know, you and your dad's +ve feedback prompted me to go down the path of Borgeson PS chuck...so at least here I'm crossing my fingers for the time being and hoping for the right feel once it's all together.