76 Aspen belt routing

MY3033

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on how I can route some belts. My Aspen is a factory AC car, but compressor is junk, pulpy turns, clutch doesn’t. Do I have to run the compressor just to have the belts fit?
I have a different 318 core engine that runs a belt for the water pump and alternator only. I would like to go to that set up.
Attached are pics of my engine as it sits. I see the water pump was driven off the smog pump belt, my air pump is siezed up, so it will also be going away.
Long story short, I would like to run just the alternator, water pump and power steering pump. Will retain the ac compressor if I have to. I’m assuming I’ll need to swap some pulleys?
IMG_2859.jpeg
IMG_2858.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
As long as the compressor pulley bearings are OK, and you're keeping it on the engine, it's basically a bulky A/C delete pulley.

To change to non A/C setup you need at least a different wp pulley (possible crank pulley also).

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You can usually run a belt directly from the crank to the alternator but you might need to grind a bit off the water pump to make it clear.

MY3033

Reaction score
As long as the compressor pulley bearings are OK, and you're keeping it on the engine, it's basically a bulky A/C delete pulley.

To change to non A/C setup you need at least a different wp pulley (possible crank pulley also).
The pulley turns smoothly, so I guess I could leave it in place. I was hoping it would be easy to remove that big bulky compressor out of the way. If I leave it, I can always track down a good compressor and use up my R12 I have.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on how I can route some belts. My Aspen is a factory AC car, but compressor is junk, pulpy turns, clutch doesn’t. Do I have to run the compressor just to have the belts fit?
No, you can remove the compressor.
I have a different 318 core engine that runs a belt for the water pump and alternator only. I would like to go to that set up.
Do you want to go through the trouble of swapping the pullies and accessory brackets?
Attached are pics of my engine as it sits. I see the water pump was driven off the smog pump belt, my air pump is siezed up, so it will also be going away.
“Also going away” As in removing the Air Pump and the AC Compressor?
Long story short, I would like to run just the alternator, water pump and power steering pump.
You can remove the AC Compressor and simply run a belt around the crank pulley to the alternator.
Will retain the ac compressor if I have to. I’m assuming I’ll need to swap some pulleys?
No pullies need to be changed.

Remow2112

Reaction score
Mike5thave is correct. You can bypass it. You may need to grind a little clearance on the water pump housing but it works fine.

From another forum and post:
"I did the job on my 1970 Fury 318 with AC a few years ago in 2014. You don't have to change brackets or pulleys. Not good looking, but Cheap is highest priority since your drivetrain goes away this Fall. Alternator belt was only thing I replaced. I used NAPA 25-7435. I had to grind off the stiffening rib visible at the bottom of the water pump in the 1st pic to give clearance. Used exhaust cut-off wheel. Total cost was maybe $10."

Small Block A/C Delete

You could also just buy a straight set of non ac pulleys. I believe Mancini sells them.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think this is the only one that needs to be stickied. It has all the information and straight to the point

Back