Bad ignition switch or starter..which is it?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to describe the click..loud or quiet to be honest.

I had thought starter, but what would make it die while its driving? I read that was a sign of the ignition switch. I just wanna know how I can determine which it is...Ya know

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A starter will not make a running engine die.

The ignition switch (and a number of other things) can.

brotherGood

Reaction score
A starter will not make a running engine die.

The ignition switch (and a number of other things) can.

That's what led me to believe it was the ignition switch. Part two of the ignition switch, is which part do I need? The key cylinder, or the switch down toward the firewall

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The key part (ignition lock cylinder) and linkage going to the electrical switch only transfer lock cylinder motion.

There is an adjustment on the ignition switch (the one lower down on steering column, which is a pain to get to) which might be out, but all electrical action (on ignition switch side) is done in the switch.

I’m not sure if that answers your question, or not.

brotherGood

Reaction score
It's cool..I may pick one up and try it this weekend if I've got time. I need to get a smaller starter anyway for headers..so if the ignition switch didn't fix it, its not that big of a deal

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Just driveway mechanic silliness but.....
Does the keyed part of the ignition work normally? As in.....starts the car....car keeps running after you release the key....doesn’t die if you slightly wiggle the key......if all those functions work then I'd think you've ruled out the column.....just my guess.

Other than that I don't know what would make it die in it's tracks. The only time that's ever happened to me was with the Volare and that turned out to be the oil pressure switch.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Just driveway mechanic silliness but.....
Does the keyed part of the ignition work normally? As in.....starts the car....car keeps running after you release the key....doesn’t die if you slightly wiggle the key......if all those functions work then I'd think you've ruled out the column.....just my guess.

Other than that I don't know what would make it die in it's tracks. The only time that's ever happened to me was with the Volare and that turned out to be the oil pressure switch.

When the dude from AutoZone asked if it was the switch or the cylinder, he explained that to me. He said if you have difficulty turning the key, its most likely the cylinder. Every so often, it'll hang up..but it's done that in a lot of vehicles I've driven..I just turn the wheel a bit and it loosens up

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If the ignition lock cylinder hangs up, but frees up after turning the wheel a bit, is most likely from hard grease (lack of grease?) on the parts for the steering column locking mechanism.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and ordered an ignition switch, and while I was waiting on it to get to transferred to the local Autozone store I got out the FSM. It suggested I check the starter relay, and explained how to do so. So, I took the jumper wire and tried it per the FSM, and it cranked. So, for grins and giggles I reached in and put the key in the ignition and sure enough, it cranked and started right up. I went ahead and held off on the ignition switch, but picked up another starter relay since it was 12 bucks, and it gives me nice new contacts.

So, Im back to square one..does the igntion switch act intermittently, or is it cut and dry?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I got a new one..ill just switch them and go from there. I just didn't know if, because it started after using the jumper wire..that pointed to one particular thing

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my Caravelle. I cleaned it up and it's worked fine ever since. I'm positive there was a post on this elsewhere......

brotherGood

Reaction score
Previous page..lol. I did that and it worked..but theyre not the best, and for 12 bucks I said screw it..lol

Aspen500

Reaction score
A note on the hard to turn ignition lock until you move the wheel. If there's pressure against the column lock pawl, it'll make it hard to turn the key. Usually only happens if the wheels are turned when you lock the column and the steering is trying to move back to center. Moving the wheel moves the lock plate to free up the pawl.
Maybe wasn't what you meant though(?)

brotherGood

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I was getting at.

I changed the starter relay the other day..so we'll see if I have the issue again. That old one was pretty nasty

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well..I tried to move the car today and this problem is evidently still there. So I pushed it further into the garage (got new furniture and needed more room for the old stuff)

Ill probably go ahead and get the ignition switch next..how much of a PITA is that to change

Aspen500

Reaction score
The ignition switch isn't bad to change, depending on your age:D
It's held by 2 nuts, part way down the steering column, under the instrument panel.

Back