Reaction score
These are what's amazing!

20170914_074547.jpg

20170914_074741.jpg

20170914_074655.jpg

20170914_074700.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
With Mr volare imperials help today with a video call we fitted the leather back seat skins from a 5th ave into my Cordoba. Not quite finished but just about done in the back! Mr v is amazing with upholstery!! Many thanks for your help today!!

photo_1513495504915.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I would hate to decode the VIN on this car, was 318 smogger now 360 Magnum, 904 non lock up, gone from pale blue to much darker fuller blue, wire hub caps to Chrome 100 spoke wheels, 7.25" to 8.25" rear end, cloth interior to an amazing fully button leather interior, geez what have't I changed :)

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking very nice!

Might have to re-paint the car and replace the carpet, to match (wait, did I say that out loud . . .).

I’m not a fan of leather seats – but if I was going to get some – that would be a good choice. Note: I have the save version leather seats, in light gray, in m 5th Ave (not a big fan).
BudW

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Pro- Leather is restorable for just a few $$.
Con- My suspenders do get caught up on one of the buttons on my 5A seats.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Bud, how is the leather in your 300H? Leather should be treated and redyed every few decades or sooner :)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It is an odd car.
The original seats are golden/light brown leather seats – I “think”. These seats looks like a tiger used them to as a scratching pad, a long time ago (and the seat material didn’t look original (to me) to begin with.

Also that car was driven hard and let sit soaking wet. The car came from up north (in Aspen500 territory, maybe?) and car has a lot of cancer to fix. My dad bought car in ’86, with rear end collision damage (the deck lid is very minor damage, which is good, but other sheet metal - is bent). I have been on/off again looking for a ’69-71 2-door Chrysler to purchase so I can use the entire rear clip off of it to repair mine with.

The car is too long to put into my garage for a rotisserie restoration (which it needs) – so I have been pondering on what to do with that car for some time. It’s fitting a 40 foot yacht into a 20 foot garage.

Being there was only 490 (or 501) cars made (depending on who you talk to), it is worth restoring – but it has a long way to go.

The original engine is in my garage. My dad took it out, for the transmission, which he installed into his pickup – which then he sold – so the car is no longer numbers matching (sigh). I did drive the car some, after it got the car. Either someone installed a shift kit in the car, or (I suspect) Hurst modified the automatic transmission somehow. That car wants to get sideways when shifting to 2nd and car jumps when shifting into 3rd. No way to prove anything with it now.

The ironic thing is the car has a factory console automatic shifter in it. The console was the same one used in ’66-70 B-bodies but it had a slightly different top to it as well as a cigar lighter on back side of it.
I am not a C-body expert – but have worked on my share of them.

In ’87 I did race a friend of mine, who had a ’70 Nova 350 SS. This car just left him in the dust, big time. He didn’t talk to me for a month, afterwards. Somewhere, I have a picture of both cars lined up for the race. There was a good 10 foot of Chrysler behind the Nova’s back bumper. She is one long car.
BudW

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
They do get rusty. As I recall, those 300H cars used Imperial 2 dr leather seats in the one tan/saddle color, and the console sounds right as they would feature the Hurst product.

For the leather, they make things like crack-repair bondo thats flexible, it would fill in the claw scratches, and a rejuvination solution that can bring back leather to a degree from being dried out/wet. Tears in leather can be fixed by gluing in a piece of vinyl from behind the leather. Lots of ways to fix leather. Kerry Pinkerton did a good writeup over on the Imperialclub website on his 64 &73 Imps leather resto. So, when you get the body all done.... :)

There's a place in southern Oregon that does full body dips. Wouldn't that be handy in the back yard?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember looking under the car, when my dad first got her.
There was not a lick of undercoating on the car (for weight, and/or for body modifications?).

The deck lid is 100% fiberglass with no lock cylinder. The only way to access the trunk is via button in glove box (or remove back seat).

The hood top skin was removed at Hurst, then a fiberglass skin was pop-riveted on to the factory metal reinforcement. The reason I mention that, was back in the ‘80’s, that hood reinforcement was almost rusted gone, at that time.
It is kinda odd - the hood had a factory inside hood release handle, a factory secondary hood lever plus two twist knobs to unlock hood that Hurst added to the hood fiberglass skin. You didn’t "have to" twist-lock the knobs, but if they were locked, you had to twist un-lock them, then go to dash to pull the handle (a long process to open hood, especially if you forgot to un-twist the locks, first).

The shifter was completely stock and looked just like a ’66-70 B-body console shifter and had a normal factory knob on it, From inside of the car, you have no idea this is a Hurst modified car – except for looking at the mile long hood from the windshield. Most of these cars were column shifted automatics.

Another thing I have to find is a good hood and skin it, for its base. I also plan on painting both sides of it – so rust will not be an issue.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bruce.
First of all, sorry for derailing your thread.

Second, it looks very nice . . . to the point, I'm jealous.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A picture of a ’70 Chrysler 300/Hurst, in case anyone wanted to know what they look like.
Note: this picture is NOT my car.
pic of not my 300H.jpg

Do you notice on just how long the car looks?

The wheelbase is 123.5”
Length is 224.6” (actually 5” longer than the full size station wagons are).
Width (bumpers) 79.1”

Comparison to a ’77 2-door Aspen or Volare:
Wheelbase is 108.7”
Length is 197.5”
Width is 72.8”

I have made comments that you can lay “bodies” lengthwise or sideways in the trunk and their heads and toes will not touch the walls. Why you would want to do so, IDK . . . but you can.

Bruce, your Cordoba does look a lot better than my 300 current does!
BudW

Last edited:

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I've owned a 71 300 2dr, and a 72 Newport Custom 4dr sedan.. its not long for them to feel like they're a normal size. My 72 had opt 440 and A32 trailer tow package with extra leaf in rear spring and bigger T-bars or sway bar... forget now. I put KYB shocks on that, it became pretty nimble, gobbled up back-roads.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Chrysler would have done well to put those seats in a few Cordobas... the buttons go with the rounds of all the gauge holes and the burl knots in the wood decal. Then there's that huge door-lamp on that leather. Yeah!
You had a good idea there, Bruce.

Last edited:
Back