Blue Leather Seats Wanted

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Second Leatherique products. There Rejuvenating Oil can work wonders for even the most dried out, stiff leather. If the leather is really, really bad, it may take a few applications, but it will work. Follow up with the Pristine Clean to get the dirit/soils/skin oits/etc., that the Rejuvenating Oil forces to the surface, and enjoy. Funny thing about the Rejuvenating Oil, is just by itself, it smells like leather.

Ah! There ya go!
On the great Imperialclub website, Kerry Pinkerton did this write-up about this very thing, restoring the leather in his 1964 and 1973 Imperials. This is where I learned first of Leatherique years ago.
Refinishing (Chrysler) Imperial Leather Seats by Kerry Pinkerton

Bruceynz

Reaction score
this is out of left field but can I take the seats off the mechanism that are bolt to the floor on and mount leather seats on them?

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
its very likely you wouldn't even have to remove the original covers on the frames already, but there is a bit of added foam there isn't there.... that would transmit to the leather covers so it's your choice. But yes, these fit a seat frame that should be virtually identical to your current seats in the front, and very close if not a perfect fit for the rear.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
One modification that I mentioned before, the leather seat covers will need 4 holes cut into the tops where the headrests fit into. The holes will be spaced too narrow, I think your Cordoba still used the wide bar set-up so a hole for each post will need to be sliced open. There are 2 Torx screws that will need a bit of a hole opened up on either side of each headrest post. I'll have to see if the vinyl cover will slip off a headrest. I might be able to mend up the existing holes but I don't have any leather bondo... oh wait, I have some other stuff so ya, maybe I can take care of that too.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Bruce, I opened a new conversation with you... wherever you find that at... regarding the Chico car.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
looking at the pics of the white Imperial, those red 5th ave seats show off a different aspect of their design. The 4 door cars' B pillar blocks the view of how they look fully upholstered, with a distinct lumbar support bulging out... you see all of that in the wide-door 2 door cars.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
a zoom in!

upload_2017-9-6_12-31-15.png

upload_2017-9-6_12-39-20.png

is this the shiny bit?

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Mr V I will be sleeping when you get the photos, at 8am here will be 1pm in CA, if you think seats look ok in photos and your heading down there just grab the skins for me if you can and if can't get skins off just get the complete seats but really have no use for them so prefer the leather skins. If skins are velour and in really good shape and you can get them off I will take them. I will check email when I wake up.

Many thanks for your help!

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Just looking at this thread. The photo that you posted of your interior, shows the rear seat in two patterns. That is not original. I have had my 1982, since new, and remember the different patterns used, in the '82 and 83. My interior is dark blue as well. also, the rear seats in four dour cars, are not the same as in two door cars. I have a sample of the blue 1982 upholstery from SMS , but haven't ordered any. It looks very good. The 83 upholstery is a different pattern.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Be sure to check the business history of any 'sample" sending business. They could have books and books of the old fabric selector books that the upholstery shops used to get and cut samples out of that. Some places will then sell you an amount and you'll hear back in a few months that they actually had run out and will have to remanufacture the material which they rarely if ever do and never to the original manufacturer's quality.

Check the business history before you spend money. I've been burned on that kind of deal before with a business I mistakenly trusted because they had some amount of fame. They were just in the business of collecting money, not providing material they said they had.

SMS is a really well known company in the car world. I don't recall if they claimed that the material was original or not, but it was a pretty close match to what I had in my 1982 Mirada. Ideally, it would be re-manufactured, so that any environmental exposure would be less likely to damage the material. I am no fabric expert, but the sample that I had felt pretty good, and seemed at least as thick as the torn edges of the original seat fabric.

Getting seat fabric re-manufactured is not that hard. All of the major restoration sources (LMC Truck, Year One, Legendary, etc.) offer re-manufactured replacement seat materials, and they go a lot further back than our car's' time period. I really doubt that any of these sources re-man.ufacture the fabrics they sell, they just order the material in batches from a real cloth mill (probably in China/Taiwan/Korea/Vietnam, etc.).

It was just a thought. If good quality fabric can be found, it would help Bruce out a lot, he could get the amount that he needs for the front and back seats, and be certain that it would last for a fairly long time. In addition, fabric is very easy to ship, so it shouldn't cost too much.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
So we don't keep everyone hanging generations into the future, yes. I got the seat covers! Bruce is going to have Christmas in September ...or it might be October depending on the boat. :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yipeee I am going to have a 5th ave leather interior in my cordoba, I already have a 5th Ave blue leather wrapped steering wheel! Going to look like a 2 door 5th ave :) Many thanks Mr V!!! Your amazing!

Back