car stalls when first put in drive. dies on sharp turns. 2bbl 318 Gran Fury

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
thanks AMC for all the info. i'm gonna try and re-adjust things when i have some time. i'm just wondering what suddenly got her all out of adjustment so suddenly. my only guess is a mechanic messed with it when i was getting my speedometer cable replaced. i hope nothing in it suddenly broke. would any of you have a good diagram of a BBD?

Ele115

Reaction score
Do a basic on it. Get a vacuum gauge, a timing light and just start from the beginning and see what you've got. Do your mixture, timing, all your settings. You will probably find 5 things off

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I took my Dip out today and it started doing something similar. Sputtering and stalling while stopped in drive. So i hosed the carb with B-12. For awhile. Then let it soak in. Then ran the thing while holding the throttle open and hosing it down.

Fixed. Maybe your carb is just gummed up

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
I took my Dip out today and it started doing something similar. Sputtering and stalling while stopped in drive. So i hosed the carb with B-12. For awhile. Then let it soak in. Then ran the thing while holding the throttle open and hosing it down.

Fixed. Maybe your carb is just gummed up
ethanol gums em up? maybe i should add a fuel additive to clean the jets? got any recommendations? glad to hear Frankendip is on the road. got any pics?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
ethanol gums em up? maybe i should add a fuel additive to clean the jets? got any recommendations? glad to hear Frankendip is on the road. got any pics?
I use ethanol free gas. The carb is just old and dirty. Idk if it's original but it's definitely a factory carb. The car didn't go anywhere all winter. I've only had it out twice. Berryman's B-12 is what I used. I fogged it down with the spray, then went after every orifice with the little plastic hose that comes with the spray can. Then I ran it holding the throttle open and hosed it down.

I also threw a can of B-12 in the tank. It's a full tank, but half of it is from the winter.

Here's my rust free rustbelt monster:
20240506_110414.jpg

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
I use ethanol free gas. The carb is just old and dirty. Idk if it's original but it's definitely a factory carb. The car didn't go anywhere all winter. I've only had it out twice. Berryman's B-12 is what I used. I fogged it down with the spray, then went after every orifice with the little plastic hose that comes with the spray can. Then I ran it holding the throttle open and hosed it down.

I also threw a can of B-12 in the tank. It's a full tank, but half of it is from the winter.

Here's my rust free rustbelt monster:
View attachment 53047
Ethanol free gas is very hard to come by in Maryland and its normally only at boat docks. i'll try and find some B-12 and let you know. can seems a little nicer now that its warmer out but still that hesitation taking off from a stop where i held the brake for a while. giving a lot of thought to Holley EFI. i have a 2300 system in my closet waiting for when i get sick of carburetion. like dude, it makes a 2bbl sound like a quadrajet! Frankendip looks good

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
As much as I loathe Chinese carburetors, they're cheap enough that as you wreck them with ethanol you can just slap another one on there

Back