Driving Requires Attention

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
People sitting in traffic or long commutes, I LOL!
When I was a renter, location was a option, but I could move, but when you buy, you are kinda stuck for a while, so get it right.
Younger days near a 24 hr variety store /liquor/beer store and a bar was a must.

Almost everything I could possible want is a mile or under away.
Then there's many options to get to my place, so I can avoid traffic.
I've only had to put 1370 kilometers on my 86 F/A since Feb 20th and I've been everywhere and work.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm in a city of I think 6 million people. That's 6 million retards....and I get to do rush hour with them there and back every day. Luckily I don't have to go insanely far but I still get to deal with an assault of mentally inept morons in cars no less...every day.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here's the deal. When I was looking for a house to buy in 1997, selection wasn't real good and one's in my price range weren't up there either. For the most part it was $25,000 crap in really bad locations or $100,000+ which wasn't an option. When I found this house, yes I knew the freeway was "right there" but it was only a 4 lane and traffic volume was about 15,000 cars a day. In the years since, the freeway has gone from 4 to 8 lanes and traffic volume is up to around 70,000 a day. The one road I have to go on to get anywhere is Rib Mt. Drive and it's gone from 2 lanes with hardly anything along it to 4 lanes with center islands and it's nothing but stores, strip malls, restaurants, shopping centers and they're double stacked on the freeway side. It's 2 miles of constant commotion. Traffic has gone from approx. 1,000 cars a day in 1997 to 20,000 a day now. If I'd only have known the future, highly doubt I'd have bought this house.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I know the local back roads well so I can drive in rush hour or leisure tours w/o traffic.
Longer distances, you just have know where the railway crossings and rivers are.

So if your $100G got a lot in 97, my $138G for a 1460 sq ft house with 2 car garage is where I was in 98.

Aspen500

Reaction score
All I got was a 1,000 sq ft slab on grade house with a 1 car attached garage, that needed a lot of work on a 1/2 acre suburban lot for $45,000 and I'm STILL not done with the reno. Sigh..........The other bad part is there's basically one way in and one way out and that's the hell that is Rib Mt. Drive. Boxed in by Lake Wausau a block to the east, a freeway 100 yards west and a mile south, along with the Wisconsin River because it curves, and a couple miles to the north there's the Rib River so all streets except Rib Mt Drive end. The ONLY bridges across the Wisconsin river are freeway bridges unless you want to make an 8 mile detour to take surface streets. Severe lack of bridges around here for some reason. Yep, hindsight really is 20/20. Moving isn't a feasible option so I guess, make the best of it. Still, something so wrong about putting in ear plugs to work in the front yard even when NOT using power equipment because of the freeway noise. You almost have to shout to have a conversation out there sometimes, seriously. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!:confused:
The metro area is about 100,000 roughly but somedays it sure seems like a whole lot more. Seems every time a road gets congested, it gets expanded and redone so it's good for a a few years but,,,,,,,,,,since it can handle more traffic it's like the traffic increases automatically. Kind of a "if you build it, they will come" type of deal.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In late 1999, I purchased a three bedroom house (with two detached garages), with one acre of land (which has 140+ trees, mostly white oak), inside of Oklahoma City limits, for $80k (US).
I think I could sell it, for maybe $140k today (on a good day).

One million dollars will get you a huge mansion.

BudW

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
In late 1999, I purchased a three bedroom house (with two detached garages), with one acre of land (which has 140+ trees, mostly white oak), inside of Oklahoma City limits, for $80k (US).
I think I could sell it, for maybe $140k today (on a good day).

One million dollars will get you a huge mansion.

BudW

One mil won't even get you a bungalow here unless it's in a crappy part of the city. It's a joke. When the bottom falls out of the market here it's gonna be a free for all.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
A woman is dead after being struck by a vehicle near the waterfront on Tuesday.

A Mercedes SUV was travelling on Bremner Boulevard trying to get into the right hand turning lane to Spadina Avenue when the vehicle went straight up the sidewalk and struck food stands on the sidewalk.
fowwwww.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A woman is dead after being struck by a vehicle near the waterfront on Tuesday.

A Mercedes SUV was travelling on Bremner Boulevard trying to get into the right hand turning lane to Spadina Avenue when the vehicle went straight up the sidewalk and struck food stands on the sidewalk.
View attachment 15855

Another brilliant mind driving a vehicle.

80mirada

Reaction score
I used to build the steering column, seat and wired the cab on those at one time. Oh yeah, I built all of the sub assemblies at one point on that cab,

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
$200G will get a starter house, $150G will get a condo.
I'm waiting for the Vancouver/Toronto bubble burst.
The Chinese have been on a buying spree for yrs driving up prices.
They buy 'sight unseen' for stupid money and many in a row on the same block for one big family.

I know old guys who bought houses in my hood when new, late 1950's, for $5-7 thousand.
Everything in the hood is $250G or so now days.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
$200G will get a starter house, $150G will get a condo.
I'm waiting for the Vancouver/Toronto bubble burst.
The Chinese have been on a buying spree for yrs driving up prices.
They buy 'sight unseen' for stupid money and many in a row on the same block for one big family.

I know old guys who bought houses in my hood when new, late 1950's, for $5-7 thousand.
Everything in the hood is $250G or so now days.

That's going on like crazy here. And yep. That's the deal. Chinese will by anything in a decent neighborhood. Knock the top of and build one of those POS pressboard styrofoam and stucco homes and sell it for over a mil. When all of this pops it's gonna be ugly.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
That's going on like crazy here. And yep. That's the deal. Chinese will by anything in a decent neighborhood. Knock the top of and build one of those POS pressboard styrofoam and stucco homes and sell it for over a mil. When all of this pops it's gonna be ugly.
Here they are buying them for 1-2 mil and just leaving them empty. People born and raised here can`t afford to buy because prices are crazy and those that have bought are stretched to the limit. If interest rates go up a couple of % alot of people are going to be in trouble.

Back