Driving Requires Attention

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
in that crash. i wonder what car or truck they were driving? what ever it was must of been a good ride to not be hurt in that crash. pretty safe ride they were in

I'm not sure what brand but I do know it was another truck.
Ram, or something to that effect.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of is that the driver panicked and when the bucket/load hit the sign, and hit the retract button in an effort to bring the bucket/load down. Being as tightly wedged into the sign as it it, the bucket didn't move, but the rear wheels moved up in an effort to close the bed. Only issue with that is that that, as NoCar said, that the bucket is lowered by slowly releasing hydraulic pressure, it isn't a pressure on one side of the cylinder(s) to raise up, and on the other side of the cylinder(s) side to lower.

Kostas

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Correction to the above. Talked to the guys that work on the big rigs here at work. Both systems are used. Our dedicated trucks (max 16 Cu. M) are lowered by controlled release of hydraulic pressure. Our larger, semi style (26-27 Cu. M.) trucks use power to both raise and lower the load. According to our guy, because the lowering would be very load dependent, lowering an empty load would take forever, so they actually power the hydraulic ram to actually lower the load.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A classic example of what happens when you pull an idiotic move while driving.
This was a couple of blocks from me yesterday.
Just to set this up....
The white F-150 was making a left on his yellow light
The grey Escape had just stopped for the soon to be red.
What's left of the red Mazda apparently was flying way to fast, blew through what was their red, hit the Ford which sent it airborne, it bounced off the hood of the escape which gave it even more air, then barrel rolled right across the street, hit the tree and landed on the sidewalk.
You can see in the pic that there are store fronts and a patio.
Ifit wasn't for the tree things would have been dramatically different.
Not sure how bad the injuries were but nobody died.

Are you really in that much of a hurry?
How fast did you get there?
Not very....you're in the freakin' hospital now aren't you?
People need to grow a damn brain....they just don't get how easy it is for stuff like this to happen when you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION!!!

First pic is the scene
Next two are what's left of the Mazda
The escape had virtually no front end damage because the Mazda landed on it's hood while in the air....un-freakin'-believable....

2014-05-31_20.04.41.jpg

2014-05-31_20.07.34.jpg

2014-05-31_20.09.34.jpg

Bonus shot...

2014-05-31_20.05.46.jpg

2014-05-31_20.04.41.jpg

2014-05-31_20.07.34.jpg

2014-05-31_20.09.34.jpg

2014-05-31_20.05.46.jpg

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Sweet JESUS, that was a wreck and a half!

They had to have been doing 80+ (canuck speed) for that to have happened..

Say, where is Hogtown anyway Cap'n?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sweet JESUS, that was a wreck and a half!

They had to have been doing 80+ (canuck speed) for that to have happened..

Say, where is Hogtown anyway Cap'n?

It's an old slang for T.O.

Yep.....that Mazda would have to be sailing to get that kind of air which makes it all the worse because the street he was ripping down is posted at 40km (25mph)...

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hogtown is slang for Toronto (I think a part of Toronto is still called Hogtown or Old Hogtown), as opposed to Cowtown, which is Calgary (where I am right now).

Kostas

Monkeyed

Reaction score
A classic example of what happens when you pull an idiotic move while driving.
This was a couple of blocks from me yesterday.
Just to set this up....
The white F-150 was making a left on his yellow light
The grey Escape had just stopped for the soon to be red.
What's left of the red Mazda apparently was flying way to fast, blew through what was their red, hit the Ford which sent it airborne, it bounced off the hood of the escape which gave it even more air, then barrel rolled right across the street, hit the tree and landed on the sidewalk.
You can see in the pic that there are store fronts and a patio.
Ifit wasn't for the tree things would have been dramatically different.
Not sure how bad the injuries were but nobody died.

Are you really in that much of a hurry?
How fast did you get there?
Not very....you're in the freakin' hospital now aren't you?
People need to grow a damn brain....they just don't get how easy it is for stuff like this to happen when you're NOT PAYING ATTENTION!!!

First pic is the scene
Next two are what's left of the Mazda
The escape had virtually no front end damage because the Mazda landed on it's hood while in the air....un-freakin'-believable....

View attachment 5902

View attachment 5903

View attachment 5904

Bonus shot...

View attachment 5905

Kind of reminds me of how my brother was killed.*

http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4091451.html?mobile=y

http://m.seattlepi.com/news/article/Man-killed-in-downtown-traffic-mishap-1113430.php

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Sorry about your brother.....
He was honking his horn...did his brakes go?

That's what they believe happened. He was on a mountanside, and was at or near the bottom. According to a witness he could have avoided the car by going on the sidewalk, but he would have hit a pedestrian.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Illegal here to use a phone while driving. Hand held one anyways. I watched the Mythbusters test if using a hands free phone vs hand held while driving is any safer, and it isn't. Both are just as distracting.

HANG UP THE EFING PHONE AND DRIVE THE CAR!!! I swear if you took away some of these peoples cell phones they'd be helpless and have the DT's. IMO,,,,,,,,,,,,,cell phone is the worst invention of the last century. I mean seriously, what is all so important that it can't wait until you get home? While I'm on a rant, people that text while driving are the most irresponsible idiots on the face of the earth. I put them in the same category as the useless f**** that drive drunk. In fact, texting while driving is just as dangerous or even more dangerous than driving impaired and that's why both of them are illegal and carry hefty fines and/or jail time yet there's still clueless morons that do both. I just don't get it........................There, my rant is over and I feel SO much better now, lol!

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Does the microwaves coming the phone fry the brain cells that bad?
Only just observing the brain dead stares at their screens sure looks like there's brain damage.
I'll wear my tin foil hat and not use those brain sucking machines.

Back in my day, when we went to the store to get an onion for our belt, because that was the style at the time.
Spanish onions were the ones, sometimes a red onion.

We had under dash tape players and equalizers, sticking cardboard in the 8 track, smoking various items, beer between the legs, more horsepower and less safety stuff....and that wasn't considered 'multi tasking' at that time.
Bars had parking lots for a reason.

Now remove brain cells and walking/chewing gum is dangerous.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
In the argument about whether it's distracting or not I always pose the same scenario. Cut me one inch slats on table saw without a chicken stick and text at the same time.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Back