Firm Feel Products

Leizurtime

Reaction score
FMJ suspensions can be rebuilt by most members in here - who have a general set of tools and access to a press.
The only really special tools are:
The upper ball joint socket:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Muscle-Mopar-Upper-Ball-Joint-Socket-B-E-Body-/330687786448?hash=item4cfe872dd0:m:m_iFr7vgPmXjAFDcoPNebyw
1973-76 Mopar A, 62-79 B, 70-74 E Body, 60-62 Dart Upper Ball Joint Removal Tool | eBay

Do you know the actual size of the ball joint? Can't seem to find the size of the sockets in any of the details.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a forum post to create about ball joints – but only 8 months behind on writing it.

20161020_213809.jpg

1-15/16” (1.9375").

A 2” open end wrench will work but an crescent wrench works best – if you don’t have the socket.
20161020_214551.jpg

20161020_214644.jpg

Actually, both work great, together.
20161021_173906.jpg

BudW

Edit: be very careful when screwing in a ball joint, regardless on which tool you use – for it is easy to get one cross-threaded/joint going in at an angle. Take your time for if you get one on at an angle/cross-threaded, then you will not be able to re-use that arm (hole stretched out).

Depending on who you talk to, you "might" be OK by using the arm with a cross-threaded/angled ball joint (my opinion is NO, don't use it) – but it is best to just do it correct the first time.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ball joint top has 4 square edges with rounded corners, something like this:
BJ top shape.png

Bill Park

Reaction score
My firmfeel leaf springs have sagged out and become dangerous in less than 2000 kms indeed they have cut down a tire. I am so not impressed

Lightning II

Reaction score
Their prices lately have gone up. $550+ for a pair of leaf springs is nuts.

When did they go up so much everywhere?

Bill Park

Reaction score
Their prices lately have gone up. $550+ for a pair of leaf springs is nuts.

When did they go up so much everywhere?
Really I just want good product. Why is it that the right rear from Mopar is heavier than the left yet from Firm feel they are the same on both sides ? It is my right rear that has sagged at less than 2000 kms

Aspen500

Reaction score
Why did prices go up so much on everything? Thank the shamdemic and the idiot in the White House (he says trying to not get political).

Bill Park

Reaction score
Really I just want good product. Why is it that the right rear from Mopar is heavier than the left yet from Firm feel they are the same on both sides ? It is my right rear that has sagged at less than 2000 kms
I am very pleased to say that I now have the replacement springs and they look much much better than the first set. They explained to me that the sub contractor that makes the springs for them had a heat treatin issue on mine any how the car sits up very nice now.

IMG_20220220_185952.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I am very pleased to say that I now have the replacement springs and they look much much better than the first set. They explained to me that the sub contractor that makes the springs for them had a heat treatin issue on mine any how the car sits up very nice now.

View attachment 46579
did they replace them under warranty?

Lightning II

Reaction score
I just got a phone call from Frank at Firm Feel: they’re about to start that production run on the FJM Torsion Bars.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Duke5A

Reaction score
How do they compare to the factory one's ?

Spring rate is more than double that of factory. I don't think night and day is enough of a comparison. No more dips in corners, no more slamming the K on the ground. The handling improvement is just nuts. You NEED frame ties to make this worth it. Putting 300# springs in the front is a useless endeavor if the chassis has all the rigidity of a wet noodle.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I just got a phone call from Frank at Firm Feel: they’re about to start that production run on the FJM Torsion Bars.

Thought everyone would like to know.
I too spoke with Frank, that was yestereday morning...it was a little 'jolting' to see FirmFeel pop-up on my cell as it rang, but heck, I was thinking right from the start "...this is IT, it must be about that thing...for sure it is..."!!!

Indeed.

So we spoke for a while. Matt is no longer with the company and he was the fella I was conversing about the T-bars way back startign around 2015. I basically used to reach out to them once a year, sometimes twice if I happened to know a little extra cash was coming my way, always hoping they were finally ready to make a "go" of it.

Well, as Frank explained, they decided to make a run of these bars. Only the 330lbs bar (larger of the two), but potentially might do the ligher run afterwards.

He is literally going through the list of the people they had logged over these years, he can do a run of about 40 sets, and was trying to assess whether the interest was still there. I immediately offered to post here to remind folks that this is being actively worked on, but he said that they are NOT looking for new sales, rather he wants to go off of that list first (which is plenty long) and make things "right" for those who've been waiting all that time - which I think is pretty stand-up!

Sooo...I was #4 on his list, told him I'd be happy to shop for two sets, and that's what he noted.

Bottom line: this will not be an overnight thing, they are basically re-starting the whole process, including test runs, metallurgy, etc. etc...he felt if things went right by end of Feb. the product might ship, but he is committed to getting this done.

Opticon77

Reaction score
I also got the call. Still on the list since about 2019. Invoiced for 1 set but I would buy 2 sets if needed.

Lets get this done.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Are these just the bare bars or are they with the bushings included?
My understanding is that these are just the bars themselves.

So the whole cost to "deploy" one of these setups is a few hundred dollars higher once you account for the other parts.

@Duke5A,
You got these before they "dried-up", what was part of that whole package?

Duke5A

Reaction score
It was just the bars. I installed them in the car in July of 2013. Could still get the Moog shell/bushing assembly for the ends back then.

2013-07-01_16-51-44_116.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Maybe they can be convinced to make the bushings too. Kinda hard to sell bars when you can't get the rest.
It's funny it used to be those end bushings were the easy ones to find and the pivot ones were the problem.

Back