LED shop lights

Justwondering

Reaction score
Aspen500

Could you take another couple of weeks off and come down to Texas to clean out the barn at the estate??

You'll be in top cleaning form by then and it would be a piece of cake for you.

I'd even let you hang new LED lights -- out of the kindness of my heart.

JW
(lol)

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Aspen500

Could you take another couple of weeks off and come down to Texas to clean out the barn at the estate??

JW
(lol)
That is a kind offer, I don't know how he can pass it up.:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aspen500

JW
(lol)
Wish I could. It's really hot and humid there though, isn't it? Maybe if it was clothing optional I could stand the humidity, lol.
Seriously though, I could take a year off from work and still not get everything done around here that needs to be done. It never ends. Cross one thing off the list and two more get added. Almost a losing battle but, I don't have to tell you what that's like.:D If money were no object, I'd hire a bunch of it out but money is a huge object so,,,,,,,,,,,unless it's absolutely not a DIY job (like digging up and repairing the cracked sewer line 5 feet under ground) I pretty much have to do it myself. I'd love to hire out the dormer roof project but had absolutely no luck getting a contractor to even come give a quote (WTF with contractors?) so it's going to be a self done job. If only I weren't so deathly afraid of heights, it'd go much easier.:eek:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Contractors are worthless these days. They promise to come, and you never see them. They may come, and promise an estimate in several days and you never hear back from them, and none of them want to bother with a "simple" small job. If they can't rip the entire plumbing system out of your house, and replace it, they want no part of just fixing the leaky faucet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've only had trouble with building contractors, like roofing. I wouldn't call a plumber for a faucet or even a leaking pipe, BUT, when it comes to sewer pipes, leave it to the pro's. When my toilet and tub stopped draining, I called a couple places and "left a message". Called the next one on the list and an actual human answered(!). Said they would be here at 5pm that day and, by golly, 5 pm and the van pulled in. It was a master plumber and apprentice and they worked until the problem was found (a gigantic mass of roots). Where do the roots come in? They don't have the equipment to scope the system so, they recommended a place. Like an idiot I put it off and,,,,,,,,,,,it plugged up again. This time it was ice, due to more roots. "I'll be there around 5:30" and sure enough, on the dot. He worked and worked (I helped), it was about 1 degree oiut and we had to find the cleanout next to the house. I knew about where it was so we shoveled and shoveled, then chopped through the 2" layer of ice and found it,,,,,,,about 8pm it became obvious he needed equipment that his son keeps in his van. So,,,,,,said they'd be there the next day (Saturday) by noon and would get it opened. It wasn't any warmer during the day but they (and I) worked until it was wide open. Scoping found the cracked pipe at the clean out "Y" and the original plumber is coming soon to excavate and repair it since the other guys are only a sewer service doing scoping and augering, etc. There are excellent contractors, problem is finding them. I got lucky with the plumbers and got great ones right off the bat. Best part was, the bill from both of them was a lot less than I thought it would be, considering the after hours work and the time it took.

Justwondering

Reaction score
The month of July just went to pot.
Two days a week for physical therapy for husband to try and get him walking again.
Its about a 6 hour ordeal between getting him in to the car, driven 50 miles to physical therapy, the hour or hour and half for pt, back another 50 miles, and back into the house with the obligatory stop for whatever he wants to eat or drink as a reward on the way back.

lol

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Put the other two LED lights up yesterday. Was about to put them in the same place as the old lights then had a thought (scary, I know). I had all 15 lights mounted crossways on the ceiling and two rows were basically over the vehicles. Lit the roof up but dark on the sides towards the walls so,,,,,,positioned them lengthwise to the garage, one near the wall, the other in between the "stalls". MUCH better! Definitely going to order some more of them soon. Wow, what a difference.:cool:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I may try that. I have a light over the hood when the garage door is shut, but once the door is open that light is blocked.

I'm sure itll help me to run them length wise as well, since I've gotta do some bodywork still

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got me another 6 pack of shop lights. I put a pair (so far) of the lights in the attached garage and, holy crap! The 4 flourescent fixtures together only made half as much light.
Found a potential disaster in one I was changing in the shop a little while ago. One of the fixtures I had out there came from the utility room of the house. No idea how old it is (was there when I bought the house in '97), except I'd guess it's from the '60's. Must be, the 8,000 lb ballast says "Made in USA" on it by GE. Anyways, it's the type with the big reflector and I took it off to lighten the load. Inside I saw half melted/burnt wires and a big soot mark inside the housing above one of the connections, almost like it had caught fire at some point. It was one of the few that actually worked yet but, yikes.:eek:
Now the conundrum. What the hell do I do with all these fixtures and old tubes? Guess I'll need to find out where you can dispose of them, along with my old (broken) MIG welder and a couple other misc. things like an old broken 27" CRT TV that's been sitting in the den for ten years because it weighs about 3 tons, that you can't just toss in the trash.:confused:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Put then on CL for free and help a kid get started with his shop.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Half the bulbs are burned out and half the fixtures don't work even with new bulbs. They're just old and worn out, like the owner:p

I'll probably go back and find out which ones still work and give them away. Somebody could use them I'm sure. Maybe Habitat for Humanity or something.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a good size bundle of bad florescent bulbs I’m still trying to figure out what to do with, for city won’t let us toss them away (not knowingly, anyway).

I’ve had a couple of spare fixtures in my garage I decided I wont use (a couple of weeks ago) and a couple more fixtures I just took out of our bathroom (the house came with a weird bathroom) - which just got upgraded to LED. I have a big bundle of old copper wire and other copper parts that I was going to cash in somewhere one of these days. The last time I was there, they also bought old electric motors and transformers.
What I did with this handful of florescent fixtures, was remove the wiring and ballasts. Tossed the ballasts into my transformer box and wire into copper box. Then took the metal shells out to curb for our monthly big trash day, and they disappeared shortly after deposited there. Another thing that disappeared within 30 minutes was my kids twin size mattress and box spring.

We have people who drive by before big trash day and collect metal, and other “trash”.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
We don't have anything like "big trash day", just weekly garbage pickup and every other week recycling pickup. I think it's the lead in the bulbs that's the problem. Transformers, more nasty stuff. I am by no means a tree hugger but still....................I'm sure there's a fine if you get caught improperly disposing of so called hazardous materials. I'm going to call the Rib Mt. Municipal whatever it's called, and ask what to do with what. They'll know how and where it all goes. When in doubt, call the government, right? lol It's easy over in the city of Wausau, they have a recycling center that takes electronics, TV's, refrigerators, etc, etc, etc except, you have to be a citizen of Wausau. Rib Mt is a suburb and is, THANKFULLY, not Wausau. My address may say Wausau but we only share a post office and nothing else. Did I say thankfully? You can figure out what I mean.:eek:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just put things out at the front gate and
a sign above it that says 'free to good home'.

Doesn't take long and the things are gone.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Did I say lead in CFL tubes? I meant mercury.:oops:
All the stuff can go to the Marathon County Landfill for recycling I found out. Kind of sucks it's way out in BFE, 12 miles east of the city on Hwy 29 but I suppose, you kind of want a landfill far away from populated areas. Probably doesn't exactly smell like fresh baked pie, lol. Same reason the rendering plant is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY out in the boonies. I can only imagine what that place smells like:eek:. Fees aren't TOO bad, mostly. TV is $20, 4' CFL tubes are .60 each but the ballasts are $6 each (ouch). Weed out the good fixtures (with the $6 ballasts) and tubes, give them away and haul the rest to the landfill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I get my Dakota back on the roads that is. Can't haul very much in a Mustang trunk. Certainly not that darn TV!

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I just ran across this thread..... What are you doing with all your old light fixtures??

It's way cheaper to convert your old lights over to LED's.... it only costs you a bag of wire nuts and new bulbs......

Matter of fact I buy the cheapest 2 bulb fluorescent light (4') strip and convert them over to LEDs.....

received_1585664191536048.jpeg
20190201_103652.jpg
20190201_103831.jpg
20190201_122743.jpg

That's one I got from a building being torn down......

brotherGood

Reaction score
I just ran across this thread..... What are you doing with all your old light fixtures??

It's way cheaper to convert your old lights over to LED's.... it only costs you a bag of wire nuts and new bulbs......

Matter of fact I buy the cheapest 2 bulb fluorescent light (4') strip and convert them over to LEDs.....

View attachment 36832 View attachment 36833 View attachment 36834 View attachment 36835

That's one I got from a building being torn down......

Maybe I'm just a little behind on this, but how do you convert them?

Davesmopar

Reaction score
Very simple.... cut the ballast out and dispose of it....

I use all T8 double ended bulbs, so take all the wires coming off the tombstones (that is the part that the bulbs (1 or 2 prong) insert into) and connect one end to the black (hot/power) wire and then take all the other wires coming off the tombstones at the adjacent end and connect them to the white (common) wire...... install led bulb's and instant LED lighting.....

Hard to see but here is a few pics.....

20190125_130409.jpg
20190125_174621.jpg
20190125_174648.jpg
20190125_175522.jpg
20190125_175539465.jpg
received_300978840603768.jpeg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Interesting. I did not know that the LED bulbs were direct wired to the 110 line. Surely they do not direct wire the same bulbs in countries that the standard is 220?

So why is it that all of the screw in bulbs from 40 watt equivalents to large commercial 200watt equivalents all have to have transformers inside of them?

Back