Modoba

efriedrich

Reaction score
It might look ok, I would probably just paint the whole thing, getting the motor out of the way is the hardest part and you already have that whipped. Will you be painting it yourself? That new motor will look great in a fresh engine compartment.

Last edited:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I scrolled up and saw the engine. That engine will look way better in a fresh painted engine compartment. The hardest part is taking the engine out so do the easy part and paint the engine compartment.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
I would clear out the engine bay fix all the bad parts and coat with epoxy primer. then give everything else a good sanding and a good coat of paint. front fender and cowl areas are prone to rust so clean them well.

I will be pulling my motor soon to fix the engine bay up like new.

Kevin

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
No way I would put it back in without painting and detailing it, you WILL regret it later if you don't:)

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Well, I knew I should not have asked you guys!! lol! Now look what you've done..... you made me do it!! Shame on all of you!! Now you'll have to answer to the Mrs. The 'DOBA just got a little uglier, and it's gonna take a little longer. My goal is to cruise it down to the Mopar Nats this summer...we'll see.

100_3569.jpg

100_3566.jpg

100_3565.jpg

100_3567.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
The problem with these projects for me, is knowing when to say when.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Keep pushin you will make it. It's going to look sweet.

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
Now thats how frame rails should always look.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
hows this for crazy. 31 year old car, original parts, just cleaned off the grease and this is what they look like!?

100_3578.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Got the brake booster pulled, stripped, primered, and painted today, as well as painting the trans. and engine mounts. I got a long way to go and short time to get there!

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never had an old car this clean. Everything unbolts like it's new. Even the y-pipe unbolted from the exhaust manifold with a ratchet! I've got the front suspension dissassembled now and tonight I'm dropping the fuel tank to check between the tank and trunk floor. Also going to look inside at the float and pickup screen and inspect inner tank surface for rust.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Pulled the tank , started cleaning, everything looks good

100_3583.jpg

100_3586.jpg

100_3588.jpg

efriedrich

Reaction score
Dang that tank looks clean, if you plan to install duel exhaust offset the tank when you reinstall it. Everything is looking great.

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I wanted to but there is a hump where the filler neck goes in and it will bind on the trunk floor unless I mod. the floor. Also the tank straps aren't centered on the tank, and if I move it over one rib, the pass. side strap will be holding most of the weight and the filler neck would have to be lengthened also. I might just dump the headers into a 3-4" y pipe and tail pipe in factory location. Until then, I have an exhaust set that exits in front of the rear axle. I have a rear sway bar going in and need to see how much clearance there is around it, any ideas? We'll see as things progress.

Last edited:
Back