Modoba

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Here are some suspension pcs. after degreasing, soaking in evapo-rust and painting. the control arms are just degreased, I'll post pics tomorrow after they spend the night in evapo-rust. If you guys have never used this stuff, its AWESOME!! The spindle pic is after being soaked for 3-4 hours then washed.

100_3593.jpg

100_3591.jpg

100_3590.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
heres a lower control arm after soaking in evapo-rust

100_3595.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looks great,must be nice to get a car that clean to work on,Don't rush to make the Nats,It'll be their next year.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
The car won't be done, I just want to get it drivable by then. It all takes time and $

65 Dartman

Reaction score
Dang that tank looks clean, if you plan to install duel exhaust offset the tank when you reinstall it. Everything is looking great.

I wanted to but there is a hump where the filler neck goes in and it will bind on the trunk floor unless I mod. the floor. Also the tank straps aren't centered on the tank, and if I move it over one rib, the pass. side strap will be holding most of the weight and the filler neck would have to be lengthened also. I might just dump the headers into a 3-4" y pipe and tail pipe in factory location. Until then, I have an exhaust set that exits in front of the rear axle. I have a rear sway bar going in and need to see how much clearance there is around it, any ideas? We'll see as things progress.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?t=27 Still got the whole she-bang but it's only good for a pattern.

mirada64

Reaction score
I just did the same thing to my Mirada by siding the tank over and it works well. There was enough length in the filler neck to accomplish this. The only trouble I had was I developed a leak around the neck where it enters the tank. I called the local Dodge dealership to see if the "donut seal" was still available for my '81 and after a few laughs between us we were both surprised it was and for less than $15. I had it in less than 2 days.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
A couple small details about moving the tank... the grooves in the tank for the straps are wider than the other grooves, and when the strap is placed in the narrower grooves, time and vibration may cause them to cut into the tank. If you don't lengthen the filler neck, a rear impact may separate the neck from the tank. I know many guys have done this, but I want to be sure it's safe and secure. I may be too picky!

efriedrich

Reaction score
Better safe than crispy lol, I have just started looking into this, maybe there is a better way. I was hoping to get some input and maybe see some pictures from a few other members.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
A couple small details about moving the tank... the grooves in the tank for the straps are wider than the other grooves, and when the strap is placed in the narrower grooves, time and vibration may cause them to cut into the tank. If you don't lengthen the filler neck, a rear impact may separate the neck from the tank. I know many guys have done this, but I want to be sure it's safe and secure. I may be too picky!

It has been done, and i would think it would take more years to wear thru than you would have the car, unless your 18 or so and never sell... BUT an idea is to go to an tire shop and ask for an old inner tube, cut strips appx 3/16ths wider than straps and glue on with 3-m weatherstrip adhesive. (kinda a quick dirty way) or pull straps and massage the edges with a body hammer to 'roll' them back a bit along both edges....I dont know how much more length you would need on the filler neck, but thats an easy fix with a piece of flexible filler hose and clamps... (ie: a factory set-up on 69-70 mustangs come to mind, they have a short piece of hose and clamps in the filler neck..) Just a couple of ideas and how to deal with it....

efriedrich

Reaction score
Yeah, those are nice, I might have to pop for one.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
if all goes well, should have the engine compartment in primer this weekend! You guys know anyone still making suspension parts i.e. bushings,balljoints etc. in THE USA!? would rather not have import junk. Not to exciting, but heres pics of the trans crossmember...weeeeeee!

100_3608.jpg

100_3609.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
You can try for some Moog ones at Rockauto.com. They will be in older boxes with made in the USA stamped on them.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Good deal. One big problem though. The engine bay will look so good you will want to paint the entire car.

Back