No More Driving 2036

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I got a 'old' news story I must have sent from 2064 using the future internet way back machine.
ohmy.gif

Story from the Toronto Sun-
A Toronto man has become the first Canadian in nearly 20 years to be charged with reckless driving, after a police drone spotted him manually controlling his own vehicle on Highway 401.

According to the GTA PD, 23-year-old James Lauda hacked the autopilot and drove for nearly seven kilometres, with his hands on the drive stick.

Police were alerted to Lauda after numerous witnesses reported seeing a vehicle travelling erratically on the highway Thursday evening. The aerial drone was dispatched and disabled the vehicle with an electromagnetic pulse.

“It was quite a shock,” said Nikki Sanders, who spotted Lauda near the GTA Hover Port. “He was speeding up and slowing down, and changing lanes at random. It’s a miracle no one was hurt.”

After being taken into custody, surveillance footage of Lauda’s reckless joyride was uploaded to the federal system’s traffic court division. A justice algorithm took nine milliseconds to find him guilty on two counts of vehicular tampering and one count of reckless driving. Const. Jim Ellesmere of the GTA PD checked with Central Control and said he’s certain Lauda is the first Canadian to be charged with driving since the federal government mandated all cars be automated in 2036.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The basic technology is already built into cars in self parking, crash avoidance, blind spot detector, lane departure, Wi-Fi, ect.

A town 50 miles away is going to be a google car site and the local auto parts guys have a happy erection.
They want in on the money.

So if there is actually no driving in 2036, then the message is true.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The self driving car is coming, I've seen it.
Stratford, Ontario is a Google car test bed.

In 1998, Kodak had 170,000 employees and sold 85% of all photo paper worldwide. Within just a few years, their business model disappeared and they went bankrupt.

In 2018 the first self-driving cars will appear for the public. Around 2020, the complete industry will start to be disrupted. You don't want to own a car anymore. You will call a car with your phone, it will show up at your location and drive you to your destination. You will not need to park it, you only pay for the driven distance and can be productive while driving. Our kids will never get a driver's licence and will never own a car. It will change the cities, because we will need 90-95% less cars for that.

We can transform former parking space into parks. 1.2 million people die each year in car accidents worldwide. We now have one accident every 100,000km, with autonomous driving that will drop to one accident in 10 million km. That will save a million lives each year. Most car companies may go bankrupt.

Traditional car companies try the evolutionary approach and just build a better car, while tech companies (Tesla, Apple, Google) will do the revolutionary approach and build a computer on wheels.
A lot of engineers from Volkswagen and Audi say they are completely terrified of Tesla.

Insurance companies will have massive trouble because without accidents, the insurance will become 100x cheaper. Their car insurance business model will disappear.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I`m still gonna drive my V8 and everybody else can go cry me a river. I like driving, but then I don`t spend 90% of my life with my nose buried in my phone either.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Except for one thing. A recent poll showed the majority of people don't want a self driving car.
Those things follow lines on the road but what happens when the lines are faded, or it's dark and raining, the road is covered with snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then what? Who is responsible when the self driving car detects a crash about to happen and swerves around the obstacle and into a couple kids walking on the side of the road (for example)? The liability alone will keep self driving cars from happening (IMO). What happens when the software locks up, or there's a communications network failure, the electrical system loses power, etc, etc, etc, on and on.
All the other driving aids such as lane assistance, adaptive cruise control and such are great until,,,,,,,,,,,,they need repair. Adaptive cruise uses a radar camera and by necessity it has to be on the front of the vehicle. All it takes is a bump into a snowbank to knock it out of calibration. Then it has to go to a dealer because they're the only ones that are going to have the equipment to recalibrate and (from my Audi days) it's at least a 3 hour procedure at $125/hr or more. If it hit hard enough to break the radar, the camera's average about $2,000-$2,500 PLUS installation and calibration. People think it's all good and then they get a repair bill down the road and suddenly, it's not so awesome. Sure, insurance will pay part of it unless the camera just fails, which also happens from time to time.

What I'm getting at is, as the vehicles age, fewer and fewer of the features will work because it's to expensive to fix. Already seeing that with cars of the early 2000's where half the options no longer function. Seems every Cadillac made before 2006 comes in with Check Engine, ABS, TC, Air Bag, Check Suspension, etc lights on. Literally every warning light is lit and it's there for an oil change only.
What was my point? Oh yeah, I seriously doubt we'll see self driving cars in our lifetime. Even if there is, there's still always going to be human driving cars at the dealerships too.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Self driving cars are on the road right now 50 miles from me.

Then in the future, the self driving cars are so close together due to computer reaction time, make driving old cars impossible to drive.
Then again there's no more gas stations.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's an interesting theory but I suspect I'll be worm food by the time it actually happens. I highly doubt it'll be financially of physically feasible before that. In the meantime I'll enjoy being one of the few remaining guys on earth that still has a brain and a pair.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
YouTube search,
Rush Red Barchetta Mopar
R2Charger uploaded a cool video.
The lyrics are with DrLebarons post......
Somebody post a YouTube link please

Aspen500

Reaction score
Except for one thing. A recent poll showed the majority of people don't want a self driving car.
Those things follow lines on the road but what happens when the lines are faded, or it's dark and raining, the road is covered with snow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then what? Who is responsible when the self driving car detects a crash about to happen and swerves around the obstacle and into a couple kids walking on the side of the road (for example)? The liability alone will keep self driving cars from happening (IMO). What happens when the software locks up, or there's a communications network failure, the electrical system loses power, etc, etc, etc, on and on.
All the other driving aids such as lane assistance, adaptive cruise control and such are great until,,,,,,,,,,,,they need repair. Adaptive cruise uses a radar camera and by necessity it has to be on the front of the vehicle. All it takes is a bump into a snowbank to knock it out of calibration. Then it has to go to a dealer because they're the only ones that are going to have the equipment to recalibrate and (from my Audi days) it's at least a 3 hour procedure at $125/hr or more. If it hit hard enough to break the radar, the camera's average about $2,000-$2,500 PLUS installation and calibration. People think it's all good and then they get a repair bill down the road and suddenly, it's not so awesome. Sure, insurance will pay part of it unless the camera just fails, which also happens from time to time.

What I'm getting at is, as the vehicles age, fewer and fewer of the features will work because it's to expensive to fix. Already seeing that with cars of the early 2000's where half the options no longer function. Seems every Cadillac made before 2006 comes in with Check Engine, ABS, TC, Air Bag, Check Suspension, etc lights on. Literally every warning light is lit and it's there for an oil change only.
What was my point? Oh yeah, I seriously doubt we'll see self driving cars in our lifetime. Even if there is, there's still always going to be human driving cars at the dealerships too.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The self driving cars don't use lines on the road, they use 3D cameras.
I'll have to get pics of them on the road in Stratford, Ont.

Back