No More Driving 2036

Justwondering

Reaction score
There will have to be a major overhaul of the current taxing methods. How do you support the infrastructure (hiways, painting, cleaning, signage, repair, bridges, etc) if no one owns a car.

Personally, I'd rather have the travel tubes like in Futurama.
traveltube.jpg

Skip all the self-driving cars...

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yeah, Capt! I knew you could get it up!!!
..........and without a little blue pill this time also! heh-heh.

Don't they already have self driving cars for those that don't want to drive? Around here we call them taxi cabs. They pick you up wherever you are and take you anyplace you want to go. For the smart phone addicted, they don't even have to talk to another human being. You just text when and where to pick you up and where you want to go and poof,,,,,,,,,,there they are.

Aspen500

Reaction score
TMI perhaps?:D

Certain "self driving" things like cruise control are nice but not much beyond that, I want to be the one in control, not Microsoft:eek:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Reminds me of an old story about Bill Gates (the founder of Microsoft):

He was giving some sort of speach, and said that if cars had advanced as fast as computers had, they would be going 300 miles an hour, getting 100 miles per gallon, and be floating six feed off the ground.

I think a guy from Ford said, in response: When a driver turns the steering wheel, or presses the brake pedal, the car turns or brakes as appropriate. Every time, not most of the time, or 99% of the time, every time. And they don't have the luxury of waiting for an update if the car doesn't.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Reminds me of an old story about Bill Gates (the founder of Microsoft):

He was giving some sort of speach, and said that if cars had advanced as fast as computers had, they would be going 300 miles an hour, getting 100 miles per gallon, and be floating six feed off the ground.

I think a guy from Ford said, in response: When a driver turns the steering wheel, or presses the brake pedal, the car turns or brakes as appropriate. Every time, not most of the time, or 99% of the time, every time. And they don't have the luxury of waiting for an update if the car doesn't.

If cars advanced like Microlimp we'd all be taking the bus.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue.

For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off."

Thar was perfect.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for digging that up. I seem to remember it was Ford, but I was wrong.

In any case, Tesla isn't that far from that right now. They keep sending out software updates to fix things in their cars, and already have a semi-autonomous mode in their cars. They also have some major quality issues with their cars, and cannot produce them in volume.

If you've ever seen the inside of a Tesla Model S, you will see a 17" vertically oriented touch screen right in the center of the dash. How can that be anything but a major distraction?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those touch screen controls are the dumbest idea ever. Instead of, after a learning curve when getting a new or different vehicle, instinctively knowing where each control is and operating them strictly by feel WITHOUT taking your eyes off the road, you have to look at the screen, select the correct system, then select the correct sub-menu and finally turn the radio down. That may be a bit exaggerated but no by much.
In my '96 Dakota I can operate the HVAC, cruise, radio, lights,,,,,,,everything by feel and never have to be distracted from the task at hand which is,,,,,,DRIVING. Some of these cars I get into at work it's a job just to figure out how to turn the climate control off for example. Touch screens in cars are dangerous and any touch screen no matter what it's on or in, pretty much just suck.

Funny thing is, I have fixed cars that came in with multiple electronic faults by simply "rebooting" the vehicle. Disconnect the battery and hook the positive and negative cables together for 10 minutes (discharges all the capacitors that way). Hook the battery back up, clear any stored low voltage DTC's and,,,,,,,walla, everything works and works correctly again. The car basically was locked up.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Those touch screen controls are the dumbest idea ever. Instead of, after a learning curve when getting a new or different vehicle, instinctively knowing where each control is and operating them strictly by feel WITHOUT taking your eyes off the road, you have to look at the screen, select the correct system, then select the correct sub-menu and finally turn the radio down. That may be a bit exaggerated but no by much.
In my '96 Dakota I can operate the HVAC, cruise, radio, lights,,,,,,,everything by feel and never have to be distracted from the task at hand which is,,,,,,DRIVING. Some of these cars I get into at work it's a job just to figure out how to turn the climate control off for example. Touch screens in cars are dangerous and any touch screen no matter what it's on or in, pretty much just suck.

Funny thing is, I have fixed cars that came in with multiple electronic faults by simply "rebooting" the vehicle. Disconnect the battery and hook the positive and negative cables together for 10 minutes (discharges all the capacitors that way). Hook the battery back up, clear any stored low voltage DTC's and,,,,,,,walla, everything works and works correctly again. The car basically was locked up.

Must be Windows.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Windows is too big for the CPUs in cars. And anyway, people can screw up software no matter what platform it is.

Windows is too ass backwards to be installed in anything more than a toaster oven.

Scratch that. It would no doubt screw that up too.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I found out in the future the police drones can't do 75 mph.
Also, if you do a bootleg 180, it farks the drones up when they have to slow down and change direction 180 degrees.

The future is a scary place for dinosaurs like me.
Police drones on you under a minute.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The self driving cars don't use lines on the road, they use 3D cameras.
I'll have to get pics of them on the road in Stratford, Ont.
Hum, a 3D camera.
Most of the cameras I’ve seen are 2D. I need to read up on them.

The original post mentions an EMP pulse. Our Highway Patrol has two kinds of stop sticks, ones use to puncture tires and one to disable electronics (ie: fries them).

I don’t like the later for it can cost you thousands of dollars to fix afterwards. They can kill the Black or Orange ICMs the non-Lean Burn cars use, so unless your car uses points or is an older diesel, you are dead in the water.

My ’97 Dodge diesel pickup is not immune, but I can at least keep going - until both battery’s drop down to about 9 volts (or run out of fuel). Note: the 98.5 pickups and newer are effected by EMP’s

BudW

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hum, a 3D camera.
Most of the cameras I’ve seen are 2D. I need to read up on them.

The original post mentions an EMP pulse. Our Highway Patrol has two kinds of stop sticks, ones use to puncture tires and one to disable electronics (ie: fries them).

I don’t like the later for it can cost you thousands of dollars to fix afterwards. They can kill the Black or Orange ICMs the non-Lean Burn cars use, so unless your car uses points or is an older diesel, you are dead in the water.

My ’97 Dodge diesel pickup is not immune, but I can at least keep going - until both battery’s drop down to about 9 volts (or run out of fuel). Note: the 98.5 pickups and newer are effected by EMP’s

BudW

Damn. I thought my 78 was immune.

Back