No More Driving 2036

Justwondering

Reaction score
Run aluminum rails front to back under car, spaced about 1 inch apart and rails are 1/4inch wide each.. connect the ends of the rails together with another piece of conductive metal (aluminum is fine). Full width of the car.
EMP is useless... it will short it out. Either the microwave or high voltage EMP.

Wave as you keep on driving.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Run aluminum rails front to back under car, spaced about 1 inch apart and rails are 1/4inch wide each.. connect the ends of the rails together with another piece of conductive metal (aluminum is fine). Full width of the car.
EMP is useless... it will short it out. Either the microwave or high voltage EMP.

Wave as you keep on driving.

Nice!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Aluminum won't stop EMP. You need something that is magnetic for proper shielding. Aluminum will have minimal effect on the magnetic part of the EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse). The magnetic part, if it passes through a copper wire (all copper wires), will generate voltage, which is what is blowing out the computers/ignition units. They don't do well at voltage higher than say 18V or so on the power lnputs.

Try it yourself. Take a magnet, put sheet of aluminum foil on it, and put something magnetic on the other side of the aluminum foil. Its like the aluminum foil isn't there. Now, if you had mu-Metal, a whole different story.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
To be honest, getting back on topic, I don't think that it will come about that fully automated driving will eliminate driving by people. There are way, way too many conditions that cars are driven in for human drivers to be eliminated or even limited. Current cars, and I realize this is very early, for example, have problems identifying potholes. To the vision system in the car, it cannot differentiate from a pothole and a round oil stain on the pavement. You also cannot as of yet, put judgement into a computer program. A case would be something like a small animal crossing the path of the car. Car would naturally stop. Now add a driver behind you following real close. Computer driving car now needs to decide if it runs small animal over, and occupants of both cars are safe, or stops suddenly for the small animal, and potentially causes an accident. That will take a lot of fancy programming, and I don't think we are there yet, and may not get there in 20 years, even. Not to mention the insurance industry getting involved. It will probably take them 40 years to work out liability in the case of computer controlled cars.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Kostas,
As long as it is a conductor, why wouldn't that work. Especially if the distance between the rails is narrower than the EMP 'fingers'. It works on a small scale when you are mucking around with your brother daring each other. Use no more than 1/4 inch aluminum rod although an old tv antenna worked as well.

But back to the topic.
I still think there is the big elephant in the room is the digital divide. I live on the wrong side of that divide and have to go through unnatural acts to accommodate businesses/governments that try to force online interactions.

It will be the same with the cars. My dad has a car with one of the screens that displays what's behind when you backup. He never uses it. Its in the center. He has to adjust his glasses and lean to the right to view it correctly. So, I think 80 year olds that drive will not embrace the brave new world.

I second the liability issue. If I am behind the wheel, I am the reponsible party. If the car is doing the decision making, then you can't expect to hold me liable for something the car did.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Aluminum won't stop EMP. You need something that is magnetic for proper shielding. Aluminum will have minimal effect on the magnetic part of the EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse). The magnetic part, if it passes through a copper wire (all copper wires), will generate voltage, which is what is blowing out the computers/ignition units. They don't do well at voltage higher than say 18V or so on the power lnputs.

Try it yourself. Take a magnet, put sheet of aluminum foil on it, and put something magnetic on the other side of the aluminum foil. Its like the aluminum foil isn't there. Now, if you had mu-Metal, a whole different story.
Tell me about mu-metal please.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Cap'n, see here, it describes it far better than I can:

Mu-metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Becky:

In order to shield against the entire EMP hit, it is necessary to shield not only against the electrical field (the E in EMP), but also against the magnetic field (the M in EMP). The aluminum foil, being a conductor, will shield against the electrical field, but the magnetic field will pass right through it because aluminum is not magnetic. When the magnetic field crosses a copper wire, it will generate a voltage (this is how alternators, generators, and transformers work). If the magnetic field has enough intensity, it can, and I am betting will, generate enough voltage in the power lines of the computer/ECU/Ignition box to destroy them. Shielding against an electrical field is fairly easy, the shielding against magnetic fields is not.

In general, the 2036 time frame I believe to be extremely optimistic. While there are going to be advances, and probably happening pretty quickly, the actual date at which the majority of cars will be computer driven is probably closer to 2056 or later vs. 2036. I quite honestly don't believe that there will ever be a day in which human driven cars will be outlawed, as there will always be locations where the map information is missing, or there is no data connection, or road conditions (rock slides, floods, odd weather, road construction, etc.) differ significantly from what is in the map information that human control will be necessary

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Mu-Metal is pretty expensive. I don't know what you want it for, but because of the fairly strict percentages of the various metals, it has never been cheap. I know there are sites on the Internet that sell it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
well .. I'm going to have to go back and try that experiment again. We must not have had everything checked out well and weren't generating enough magnetic field.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember the rule of 88 – if the flux capacitor is to work correctly.

BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Becky, look at this article: Electromagnetic shielding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another simple way of explaining it without mathematics is this way: Why can't you make a magnet out of aluminum? Why can you not pick up an aluminum can with a magnet?

Also, just to make this a little bit more complete, some stainless steels are not magnetic either, even though they do contain iron (as part of the steel).

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score

images.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
If the traffic drones don't neutralize the car, then they send the tactical drones.
If a tactical drone gets near you, your only chance is to drive...fast, faster than 75 mph and hope it doesn't get into rail gun range.

They have a electronic gun that can adjust and shoot from a light taser to blowing holes in walls.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
20 yrs is a awful long time in technology these days.
20 yrs ago there was still paper camera film, VHS and CRT's.
Can't watch any old 'future' movies with CRT's anymore, just like I can't watch 'Escape from N.Y' anymore.
The towers aren't there in the future.

I have to go to Stratford and take pics of the self driving cars on the road.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just can't get excited about self-driving cars.
Am I the only one that remembers when our future was in space?

Tell me we will have a permanent Moon base in 20 years or that we would have been to Mars by then. Now that is interesting.

Cars that drive themselves but only if there is a person in it that can override the car ... boring.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
No money in space unless you can either mine or capture a meteor.
Some are just big chunks of gold or diamonds.

But there is money in self drivers for the minions.

Also no more drunk drivers, no more idiots, no distracted driving, be able to handle traffic flow better without having to spend money for widening/expansion.

Never got the nuclear powered flying car or the moving sidewalks they promised me.

Back