Justwondering

Reaction score
Here ya go:
jetson sidewalk.jpg

jetsons.jpg

20 years in the future...lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The issues around self drving cars are not as much technological astge are sociological/human behaviour. Partly, there will be the need for instilling some level of judgement inthe car, but most of it will center around insurance/criminal liability in case of accidents, how the mix of self driving and human driven cars will interact, responsibility in the case if a self driving car having a software glitch that creates ab accuident, etc. All of that, combined with some people( like on this board) who enjoy driving who won't be buying a self driving car, so outlawing human driven cars for a long, long time. I really don't see Mr. Bigbucks paying $4M for a Bugatti Vectornius (made up name) so that it can drive itself around.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Planes can fly and land themselves.
They can get a rocket to land on a barge by itself.
Kids don't own cars these days, but a phone is a MUST.
Changing demographics like the guys who thought that whole 'horseless carriage' thing was a fad.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company, 1903.
fad.jpg

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Will Robo-Ubers Kill Car Ownership?
When self-driving cars can take us anywhere, anytime, garages will empty—and commuting will be transformed

No question about it: self-driving cars are big news. Already a long list of car models—from Honda, Volvo, GM, Ford, Audi, Mercedes, Tesla, and others—automate some aspects of driving. They offer smart cruise control that goes all the way down to 0 mph, meaning they can drive automatically in stop-and-go traffic, braking and accelerating without ever risking a collision. They can change lanes for you—or stay in the lane for you. They can self-parallel park or head-in park. About the only driving they can't yet do themselves is make turns.

The poster child for self-driving cars, of course, is Google's fleet. After driving themselves more than a million miles on public roads, these cars have caused only a single accident so far: a low-speed fender bender with a bus. (They've been in 17 more minor accidents, but all of those were caused by human-driven cars—for example, someone rear-ending the Google car at a stoplight.)

This is exciting stuff. Self-driving cars, in theory, could eliminate the crashes that kill 1.2 million people every year around the world. Trillions of dollars would never have to be spent on hospital stays and insurance payouts. The environment would benefit because driverless cars would take the most efficient route, never get lost and reduce congestion. But the real mindblower is what will come next: self-driving cars that you don't own. Robotic cars that you summon when you want a ride.

Some huge companies are making colossal investments to make this vision real. In February 2015 Uber raided Carnegie Mellon University's highly regarded robotics department, hiring away 40 of its top researchers.

This January, General Motors invested half a billion dollars in Uber's rival, Lyft, for the purpose of developing its own on-demand driverless cars—then topped that two months later by spending a reported $1 billion on Cruise Automation, an automotive tech company. Ford and Google plan a joint venture with similar goals.

Yes, self-driving cars are revolutionary. But on-demand driverless cars? The changes would be so massive and fast and global, there's almost nothing about daily transportation that wouldn't change—mostly for the better.

Inexpensive robotic rides would mean there would be no particular reason to own a car. You wouldn't have to buy one, maintain it, gas it up. You'd never be late because you had to push the snow off the windshield or shovel your driveway.

When you get into a robo-car, you won't have to wait for it to heat up in the winter (or cool down in summer). You'll never have to hunt for a parking space; the car will drop you at the entrance of your destination, then zoom away.

All the societal constructs designed to defend against lousy driving skills—speed limits, speeding tickets, guardrails, even car insurance—might become unnecessary.

Similarly, who will need driver's ed or a driver's license? Twelve-year-olds will get their own rides home from sleepovers. And it won't matter if you (or your parents) are too old, frail or disabled to drive; millions of homebound Americans will suddenly be liberated.

Drunk driving? No longer a problem; if you're not doing the driving, drink up! Feeling sleepy on your long drive? Your robo-Uber car can drive through the night as you nap. And teenagers? Text away!

Of course, there are plenty of details to be worked out [see “The Truth about ‘Self-Driving’ Cars,” by Steven E. Shladover]. Some are technical; most of today's driverless cars are still fooled by snow, for example, and don't understand a human officer directing traffic. Some are more remote, though still important: Will robo-taxis be safe from hackers? If they cause an accident, who's responsible—the owner, the carmaker or the software company?

If you prefer to drive yourself, you might still have that option. Some experts predict that self-driving cars in some form will become mainstream on public roads in about five years. It's time to start warming up to the new self-driving era; it's too late to change lanes now

Aspen500

Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but I want a car I drive. I also like vinyl record albums, don't even have a cell phone (much less a "smart" phone), don't own a DVD player and love my aqua marine green kitchen cabinets over the so called trend of white. There, I said it, lol

I think there's a huge difference between a "self flying" plane in the relative openness of the sky with no obstacles vs a car with people, things, snow, ice etc.......I just wouldn't feel comfortable riding in a car with no driver even if I didn't like to, or know how to, drive.

All this type of crap, along with so many other things going on lately keeps giving me the feeling Dr. Cocteau and the megaplex of San Angeles isn't just a sci-fi story and I almost throw up in my mouth a little. Be well.
Either that or we are all being assimilated into the Borg collective or Cybermen to exist merely as robots who are all exactly the same. In any case, I don't like the direction it's all going. I really don't.:(

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Have the DVD player....from 1999 and vinyl, but no cell phone or fuel injection.
And my kitchen also says 1950's

2036-I'll be 74 if I'm still kicking.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'll be right behind you in 2036 at 72 years old,,,,,,,,,,also if I'm still kicking and/or if there's a reason to even be alive anymore by that time. You will be assimilated.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Planes can fly and land themselves.
They can get a rocket to land on a barge by itself.
Kids don't own cars these days, but a phone is a MUST.
Changing demographics like the guys who thought that whole 'horseless carriage' thing was a fad.

And all planes have a pilot, and are more often than not, flown by pilots, even though they don't have to be Reason for that is that insurance liability won't allow unmanned planes to fly, even if it is only carrying cargo. Hence, my contention that the major hold up will be working out insurance liability, and that this will happen only when computers can be programmed or taught judgement.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The guy in the 1950 video that was changing the tires was beating on the right front for a while.

Another thing that I noticed was the engine noises in the background. The roar of the 1950 Indy Cars was completlely different from the scream of the 2013 Formula 1 cars. If you have not been to a Formula 1 race, or even a recent Indycar race, it is hard to describe. Best I can come up with is an insanely loud, out of control dentist's drill. Current Formula 1 engines idle at about 6-7000 RPM, and redline (it is thought) at 18-19,000 RPM. The Indycars are limitied to 15,000 RPM.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I could watch 70's Nascar all day long.
Now???
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
Better is the late '60's Nascar races. The sound of big blocks and of course, Richard Petty in his prime. Plus, the cars actually LOOK like cars. I pretty much quit watching Nascar in the late '80's. Now, as you said, yawn......................... Nowdays if I watch a race it's something like DTM, or Pirelli World Challenge, Trans Am Series, etc, (road races) that sort of thing and of course, NHRA drag racing.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Better is the late '60's Nascar races. The sound of big blocks and of course, Richard Petty in his prime. Plus, the cars actually LOOK like cars. I pretty much quit watching Nascar in the late '80's. Now, as you said, yawn......................... Nowdays if I watch a race it's something like DTM, or Pirelli World Challenge, Trans Am Series, etc, (road races) that sort of thing and of course, NHRA drag racing.

That would be all weekend long as opposed to all day. :D

Darth-Car

Reaction score
It all started going downhill with the introduction of the restrictor plate.

Back