WANTED OE 4 speed OD shifter and rods 77 F body

Status
Not open for further replies.

volare 77

Reaction score
Contact seller
OE 4 speed OD shifter and rods 77 F body. If you have one you and want to sell , let me know the condition and what your asking for it.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the OE shifter and linkage. It has a LOT of slop to it, which only gets worse over the years. I bought a Hurst shifter and linkage to replace the OE in OY, and the difference is very noticeable, and a very nice improvement. I got mine from Brewers.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the OE shifter and linkage. It has a LOT of slop to it, which only gets worse over the years. I bought a Hurst shifter and linkage to replace the OE in OY, and the difference is very noticeable, and a very nice improvement. I got mine from Passon.
Good advice!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I had to correct my post. I actually bought my Hurst from Brewers. Here is the link to my thread about changing over to the Hurst shifter: Out with the Inland, in with the Hurst!
Mopar used both the Inland and the Hurst shifters for the four speed OD. I believe the Inlands were used later and the Hursts were used first, but I could be wrong, I don't remember. I do know that the Inlands were... well, not good.

volare 77

Reaction score
The one shifter I was looking at on craigslist was Inland and he said it was for a 76-77

4speedjim

Reaction score
Ive only seen the Inlands in F bodies, '76-'79 but Hurst does make an OD shifter. The super street or something like that. Was the Hurst an option upgrade maybe, standard on RT and Super Coupes possibly?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Hurst does make an OD shifter. The super street or something like that.
It's the "Hurst Competition Plus" shifter, and I can say that it is an EXCELLENT improvement over the Inland. But, I don't think this is the same Hurst that was used back in the day in the new F's. I don't know why some came with the Inland, and some with a Hurst, or if it had something to do with being an R/T, RR, or Super Coupe. Maybe.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
There is a trans semi local to me on CL I will look for the link. But he wants $750 just for the trans.

I have the whole setup in a parts car but dont know the condition of the trans because ive never heard it run

You guys are killing me with your E58 4 speed super coupes.

Any mopar four speed shifter fits the 3+1 833, the trans is a overdrive the shifter knows no different, its a H pattern 4 speed shifter, no more, no less. Oh and the ball shows O vs 4 thats it.

Unless anyone has a parts book showing different they were all butter pail shifters.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
My car was originally a 4 speed O/D and the shifter was,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,vague. What did help somewhat was reaming out the holes the rods go in, both on the shifter and the trans, and installing bushings. Think it was a kit from Hurst(?). I really don't remember, that was about 30 years ago. It did make the shifts less sloppy but there was no such thing as power shifting. Not that you would with an 90 hp E24 S6 anyways...........

$750 for a used O/D? Another one of those hindsight things. Mine, including the shifter, went to the scrapyard in the trunk of a rotted to the door handles (not joking either) parts Dart Sport I bought for it's 4brl 360 (E58?) in 1988. The engine I was originally going to use in the Aspen before the whole big block idea came about. Same Dart Sport that went to the scrapyard with it's original undamaged twin snorkel scoop still bolted to the hood. Son of a...............:mad: Kick, kick, kick.

volare 77

Reaction score
There is one on craigslist that says it is a non aluminum case 4 speed OD for $350. Was there such a thing? Truck maybe?

Aspen500

Reaction score
That $400 one is listed wrong. It may bolt into a B or E body but neither of those ever had an original O/D trans.

I believe the truck O/D was cast iron. Had a buddy with an '86 S6 D150 with a 4 speed O/D (what a pooooooooch) and IIRC, it was iron and VERY heavy. Side note: A 225 should have NEVER been available in a Dodge pickup. 0-60 was measured in minutes and O/D was about useless, even with only 2 people and nothing in the bed.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
They all have the truck sized...oh whats it called...front bearing retainer thats the big diameter bell housing.

That one does look a bit different, hmmm.

I will jack my parts rig up an snap some pics of the shape all is in, its the oem inland and for not running it shifts as id expect, even new the 2-3 shift was crap and I think the reverse light was used often to be sure you were not in 1st.

I dont care either way if I sell mine but id think the best route would be all in one shot, it would kill the wallet buying the setup in pieces.

volare 77

Reaction score
It was years ago but I sold a good OD trans for $50 at a swap. I basically had to beg someone to buy it.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I bought a spare OD trans for about $50 a few years ago off CL, and was happy to get it. I used it in OY for a short time while I had the original trans rebuilt, and it worked fine. I just like to have spare parts "just in case". I figure that these cars are getting hard to find and so many have been crushed that in the future, parts might be a real problem. I have spare fenders, doors, hatch, trans, carb, manifold, wheels, grille, trim, brake discs and drums, etc., etc. Not really hoarding, but just trying to look ahead. I got most of the parts from two separate wagons that I bought just to strip parts.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Just to be sure my shifter and rods did in fact get tossed all those years ago, I double checked up in the attic and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry, can't help you on this one. There is a shifter up there but I'm fairly sure it isn't from an F-body. What it is from or why I have it, not a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back