Paint help.

barbee6043

Reaction score
My first times painting was way back in the 70's, I would buy a used steel gooseneck horse trailer have it blasted and I would prime and paint. I was using just alkyd enamel till I picked up some acrylic enamel and hardner. ( There are the isocyanides!) I was panting outside, NO good mask no doubt. That first time with the :new stuff", I was OK till the about 24 hours later. Then it hit me. It felt like I was running a high fever but I had no fever.
Now I use acrylic urethane with hardner of course, a good 3M respirator, BUT I will be getting a fresh air system for the next car. I use epoxy primers from Ca. TCP Global, they seem to be less harsh. If I even smelled PPG Epoxy I would get bad, just the smell of it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
If I just go into a bodyshop my legs start to hurt in about 20 minutes. I only work on my own projects at this time and even then it's limited exposure to paint materials.

Ele115

Reaction score
It's phoshphoric Acid. It turns Iron Oxide into Iron phosphate. It needs to be neutralized. Rust is something that happens most notably when a metal experiences the far end of the Ph scale and oxygen. It could be acid (battery acid) or a base Salt. You use the other end of the Ph scale to stop it, but there are a series of steps needed because you will create more corrosion and other chemical issues if you don't neutralize it in a timely manner. There should be tons of info out there to read up on this. I play with atoms, not chemicals

Back