prayers, please, folks

ramenth

Reaction score
Forgot to tell you guys. The tumor wasn't cancer. It also wasn't benign. It was a pocket of bone marrow which had deposited in the brain, would bleed out, and form a new layer, expanding itself. They had to dig deep in the textbooks to find another case. Apparently, Sarah's is only the second case in history.

Glad we didn't truly know the immediate danger over these last few months. Chances are if it had hemorrhaged she would have been dead before she hit the floor.

joeblo

Reaction score
I'm sitting here trying to think of something to say and can't find the words. I can't imagine what your going through but I will continue to pray for you and your wife.

Keep the faith, Don

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
I hope she continues to get better, and that you find the strength to hang tough. You are both still in my thoughts also.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hello Sir,
Been waiting for the latest update.

Still praying, still sending good vibes.
Faith and God bless.

1976RR

Reaction score
Hello Sir,
Been waiting for the latest update.

Still praying, still sending good vibes.
Faith and God bless.

GOD heard the prayers ... and answered with a NON cancerous tumor... She is not ready to be an ANGEL of GOD yet ... HER time is not done on this earth .. ENJOY your wife/life .

ramenth

Reaction score
GOD heard the prayers ... and answered with a NON cancerous tumor... She is not ready to be an ANGEL of GOD yet ... HER time is not done on this earth .. ENJOY your wife/life .

Yes, God did hear our prayers with the tumor being non-cancerous. But... If the surgeon missed even a microscopic piece, then there's a real possibility it may grow back. With such a small case history we have no idea. There's also a chance it could grow back even if he didn't miss a piece. Again, we don't know.

I'm not trying to be contrary, I'm being a realist. And realistically, my wife may not come out of this. It's a reality I've come to accept over the course of the past few weeks. It doesn't mean that I've given up hope. As long as she's fighting, I'm gonna stay right here and fight along side her, encouraging her along the way, and helping her dig deep for the strength I know she has - a strength that is God given. That's not to say that I don't agree with you, I'm saying my theology is just a bit different.

There's so much that has to play out in our favor for Sarah to come out of this whole and healthy. The swelling on the stem is the biggest concern. The longer the swelling is there the greater chances of damage lying underneath. Sarah's never been afraid of dying. Her biggest concern has always been being damaged. Damaged to an extent in which she can't live her life fully... As an occupational therapist she's worked with folks with severe damage. That's not what she wants. And if it comes right down to it, I'll be the voice she doesn't have right now to say when's enough. It's what she wants me to be able to do for her.

Our prayers aren't always answered to our benefit in a tangible way. The clarity of the answers we do get may not be seen for weeks, months, or even years. If Sarah decides to go Home, then it will be to her glory, to be able to walk with God in eternity, to be able to hold hands with our daughter, Katie, finally.

Over the past nine years, when folks - well meaning, but rather clueless - say to us, "It was God's Will" that we lost Katie. Sarah and my's theology says different. God's Will created Paradise, for us to walk with Him in companionship forever. When sin entered Eden, the world became broken. We lost Katie as a result of a broken world. Sarah developed a tumor as a result of the same broken world. The results of the tumor, which are still in full effect with lying in a coma, are the results of a broken world.

I agree with that her time here isn't done yet. Not at this moment. In her situation, tomorrow's decisions may necessarily be different than today's. I can't plan ahead any further than that. I truly believe that God gave her a choice, though. Two weeks ago, a peace that I've never felt enveloped me. All was right. One way or another, all was right. Sarah wasn't responding. Her heart rate was in the 30's, even going into the 20's on occasion. Her blood pressure was erratic. Her body temperature was all over the place. There was nothing to do but say goodbye. Then, the next day, she was moving. She actually reached up and grabbed the nurse's wrist when he pinched her. She was pulling at her tubes enough that she wound up with mittens on to protect herself.

That peace? I truly believe that God was telling me she was in His hands, completely, totally, removed from the world, removed from the pain she's in. And He gave her a choice: come Home or stay. And if she wants to stay, He'd give her the strength to be able to fight.

She's been around for almost two weeks now since that happened. God is Grand! God is Glorious! But, she may decide, later on, that's she's fought on long enough, fought on hard enough, and that's she's run out of fight. And still God will be Grand! God will be Glorious!

And that's where I am. Every day. Because I can only take every day as it comes, and listen to what my wife is telling me.

I'm not being defeatist. My prayers are still that she'll wake up and be able to laugh with me, talk with me, let me hold her like she likes for me to hold her, in that way that makes her feel special. My prayers are still that God makes her whole and complete, brings my wife back to me. I pray that he gives me the strength and the discernment to be able to make the right decisions. Oh, no, I haven't given hope, I haven't given up my prayers, and I most assuredly haven't given up my Faith in Him.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Updates

Today has been a hit and miss day. She had an episode of vomiting earlier. Not a good thing when she was a tube in her throat to breath. I heard her making a noise and had just started to stand up and see what was going on when the nurse walked into the room. had to suppress my natural instinct to help as the room filled with nurses and doctors in seconds.

The director of ICU made the comment to me that, "Sarah's making this difficult..." I just smiled. Of course, she is! If this was all easy, she wouldn't be Sarah! lol

The main concern is that right afterwards she spiked a 104 fever. They have her under a cooling blanket to keep her temp under control. They immediately hung a new bag of antibiotics and pulled cultures to see what's going on. Since it takes time for the cultures to grow, we might not know for a couple of days.

She had MRI's last night. Neuro-surgeon came in and went over 'em with me. Good thing: swelling is coming down on the stem. Not so good thing: the area where the tumor was is still full of blood and putting pressure on the area. She had to extra-ventricular drains (EVD's). Sometime last week one popped out. The other became clogged. Tonight they put in a new one. It's draining steadily now. But if it gets clogged again they may have to put in a permanent shunt. Two shunts were installed during the original biopsy, but one was taken out during the tumor removal because it was clogged. Chances are, so is the second one.

There's evidence of some damage that the MRI showed. One of her occipital lobes is showing some permanent damage. Chances are she's going to lose some peripheral vision on her right side.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Robert,

You're composure and attitude is admirable in a way that at times, during similar situations mine wasn't.
Reality is a kick in the face that is un-understandable sometimes

You are a good man, Sir.
Only my best thoughts, prayers and energy.

God bless to both of you.

Last edited:

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
hang in there man
my Kim is steadily getting worse ,theve upped her meds again,and depression has set in big time

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
You are going thru alot and i am thinking of you and sara at all times.You truly have felt GOD give you peace to let you know he is there always.Keep your faith and i am praying for sara's full healthy recovery.

ramenth

Reaction score
Seems they figured out what was going on with her lungs. The pneumonia caused the right one to partially collapse. They did a procedure in which they went into the lung with a camera and a suction tube and suctioned out the fluid which caused it to collapse. While they were in there they washed it out with a saline solution and suctioned it out some more.

Since then her heart rate at rest has been in the 70's and 80's whereas before it was in the 50's and 60's. Her blood pressure has been better and she's resting comfortably. Her O2 saturation rates come and go, sometimes dipping into the into the low 90's, but maintaining in the high 90's for the most part.

I want to take the time here to issue somewhat of an apology, especially to 1976RR if it seemed like I was singling him out. My intent for an earlier post was to make everyone aware that the situation we're in is fluid. Nothing is assured to us except our Faith in God and it's that Faith I know Sarah has that makes a lot of this bearable. I'd like to be able to make plans for tomorrow, but Sarah's condition can change within the hour. The last couple of days I haven't been able to leave the hospital campus and don't dare go any further than smoke shack, about a five minute walk from her room.

Our pastor made the 2hr trip to see us today. What a good conversation he and I had after the medicals booted us from the room to do the procedure with Sarah's lungs. It helped me quite a bit to talk to someone who understands and shares our Faith and serves in a pastoral role and someone I fully trust to be able open up to on such a level.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Still sending the best energy and prayers I can.
It seems sort of paltry in the great scheme of things
But it's all I can think of to do.
God bless.

ramenth

Reaction score
Still sending the best energy and prayers I can.
It seems sort of paltry in the great scheme of things
But it's all I can think of to do.
God bless.

In the grand scheme of things prayers are the best thing.

I okay'ed the trake going in today. Her breathing is easier.

Immediately afterwards neuro wanted a CT. They were talking about weening her EVD today, but when they tried the wave form for the pressure in her head that corresponds with her heart rate went up and the pressures themselves went up. The CT showed what might be an expanded area, but there's some debate on that as her head was tilted during the scan and might have elongated the image.

Her fever is through the roof, but she's responding to Tylenol and the cooling blanket. Once the cooling blanket is gone and the Tylenol wears off it spikes right back up to 104.

She's moving very little. Even her toes, which were in constant motion just a few days ago, have slowed down to almost nothing. She's not giving us much spontaneous movement at all at the moment and goes rigid during the neuro exams.

I'm gonna chalk today up to a bad day and see what tomorrow brings.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Robert,
Sorry to hear about today.
Definitely not an uplifter.
I'm hoping you have a close support of family, friends, etc.

I'll be waiting for the next update.
In the meantime,
I'll be cranking the volume so to speak
On the prayers and energy (which is meant for you too)

I know how badly this kind of thing can kick the crap out of you.
Look after your own health too Sir,
It will help you stay strong.

God bless you both.

Back