Random Pics

Greg55_99

Reaction score
When your car randomly passes under a flock of Canadian Geese....

Greg
Charger_birds.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
We currently have some Yellow-Crowned Night Herons on our property (live a couple miles away from a major lake). By the way, that is a huge bird (112cm/44 inch wingspan). When that bird leaves a branch and is coming to the ground and if you are walking in the vicinity, you will be ducking for it sounds like a helicopter is about to crash on you.
This is from parking in the wrong location for about two hours (this weekend):
20210509_115524.jpg

(pay no attention to the hail damage...)
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Picked this up at the grocery store this evening from one of those end of aisle misc. displays. Usually it's all Camaro, Corvette, Ferrari, dune buggies, etc... This caught my eye though. 1957 Dodge Sweptline (Matchbox brand). What the heck, it was only $1.95 so, why not?
DSC00531.JPG

Camtron

Reaction score
Circa 1972:
A construction worker stands atop the antenna of the nearly completed, Sears Tower.

OSHA Approved

6A6062A5-AEC8-4591-B542-711542AE7B8C.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Having balls that big, that guy must of had a hell of a time finding underwear that fit, lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
On the scale of nuttiness, that is only middling.

I used to work for a company that built microwave communications systems, and that included a microwave video distribution system. That involved a number of microwave amplifiers mounted onto RF towers of various heights (and no, I stayed on the ground). There were adventurous types that used to climb the towers and would install or replace the equipment. They were paid quite well.

First one is a guy who just came back down from about a 300 foot level on the tower. After he comes back down so I could sign him out, he asks "If I got a surplus parachute up to that 300 foot level, do you think it would open before I hit the ground?". He wasn't kidding. If you don't know, it normally takes a properly packed parachute about 300 feet to open. He was talking about just gathering the parachute in his arms, jumping off the tower, and releasing the parachute.

Second one is in the middle of a cold spell in rural Manitoba. Outside air temperature is -40C (which is still -40F), and there is a 40Km/H (24-25 MPH) wind blowing pretty steady. The tower is 1800' to the tip, and our equipment is at about 1200' level. The amplifier at the top of the tower has stopped working. We call around to the tower service companies, and no one wants to go up. One of the tower service companies says that one of their guys may be willing to do it, but it didn't come from them, and it will be a direct deal between the company I worked for and this guy. Anyway, the guy shows up, asks about what needs to be done, and starts climbing up. Took him 3 hours to go up (with an 80 lbs. amplifier strapped to his back) and about 2 hours to come down (he just threw the bad amplifier down). Deal was, when he got to the ground, he would have a signed cheque waiting for him. For about 5 hours of work, he walked away with $20K. Said it was much windier near the top, and that the inside ladder had some ice on it. Glad it wasn't me.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The time I saw a guy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up on top of the transmitter tower on Rib Mountain, changing the light bulb, I thought "no bleeping way!" Think the tower is about 400 feet tall. Combine that with being 900 feet above the surrounding terrain to begin with and,,,,,,,,,,NOPE. I don't even like climbing the 60 foot observation tower up there.

Back