Real mopar people dont act that way

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Thanks. Have to admit it spends more time in the garage instead of on the road... Lubbock drivers are nuts and I only drive it on my days off, weather permiting. I'm still kicking myself for putting the set of police rims that where on it onto the '72 Satellite I had to sell it. But, it still has the stock 15X7 rims so its all good. I've upgraded the front sway bar to a 1 1/8" piece and added a 3/4" rear bar from a AHB Diplomat. Even with the 215/70R15 tires (standard tire size for police units) she really loves the curves. To bad there aren't many in flat West Texas! Oh well, there are plenty of long, straight roads... Glad I also have the 125 speedo installed.... :icon_biggrin: Only paid $750 for it in 2009 from a good friend who needed to sell it and I needed a car. He put in an 8.75" 2.94 rear, removed the lean burn and installed an Edelbrock SP2P manifold and Holley 4360 450cfm carb. He was going for milage and I usually got around 22mpg with it on myt 80 mile commute. I have since installed a Performer manifold with a Eddy 1406 carb. It also has a Y pipe from a '77 Aspen R/T and a full 2.5" single exhaust through a DynoMax Ultraflow muffler. In the next few months I plan on installing some '85-up "302" heads along with a better cam. Also has an HEI (yeah yeah) ignition system. I bought her with 89K, has 123K now. This car is how I relax... if it isn't broke, fix it! :toothy10:
Oh yeah, her name is Maybelline. My late mom named her that. :angel9:

Awesome, Maybelline's a beauty and no slouch from the sounds of it. My 5th is bone stock, 318 smogger and all. Just gotta patch a couple of spots, give her a repaint and she'll be the wife's daily. The Super Six in the Caravelle is eventually gonna get an Offy intake, four barrel and headers (amongst other things). The Dip?.....ahhh...The Dip. Now THAT will eventually become very interesting, but I ain't letting the cat out of the bag on that one...YET. :icon_jook:

Erics5th

Reaction score
Check out www.slantsix.org. There are a lot of good guys there (and a lot of friends) that have some good advice on how to make a slant really sing. Trust me, a few of the guys race them and have some fast cars. Turbos, fuel injection, one guy used to be on there with a '61 Dart with a super charger from a Thunderbird Super Coupe on it. My old '72 Satellite Custom had a slant in it, and actually did pretty good for a small engine in a big car. With just some exhaust mods (2.25" from manifold to muffler, 2" tail pipe), recurving the distributer, some mods to the little 1920 Holley and a clutch fan really helped. You'r lucky in that you already have a Super Six. Your Caravelle is a late '70's car right? You should have a solid lifter cam.... A good thing because there is a better cam selection than with a hydrolic lifter engine. Let me know if you need any advice... I can probably help you out.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh yeah, The possibilities are endless. Thanks Eric, I'll be in touch.

hrm-nov-pg1.jpg

holmes

Reaction score
I may have to re-think that f-body sedan thing and go with an m-body. You get more for about the same money.:glasses2::glasses2::glasses2::glasses2:

ramenth

Reaction score
Remember.... Same Team.:eek:ccasion14:

I believe it. And the guys I hang with believe it also.

I think my prospective comes from being a restorer for eight years. Sure, I made money off the antiques, but the passion which drove me to do my best wasn't based on money, it was based on the owners' own passion about the vehicle. A lot of what I restored wasn't based on the monetary value of the vehicle, anyway. What drove the owners was usually sentimentality. "My dad bought this car." "I've owned this car since it was new." "My late husband kept this car stored all these years, hoping to do something with it." When you have a car owner standing in front of you relating stories of his or her youth, or how much a certain family member meant, it's hard not to get involved with the history of the car. Making dreams come true, giving 'em back a piece of the past. Hell, even with Jamison's J-body build it's not about the money that it will take to make it a car again, it's about the memories he'll have and the experiences he'll gain. He'll be talking to his grandkids one day, telling stories about how he and his Uncle Robert built that car. You can't buy that.

While a '69 Camaro may not be my thing - I'll usually walk past 'em at the shows to seek out the Mopars - I can appreciate the work that went into it. Even the check writers rides. Unless the car is a survivor, someone along the line put some work into the car to make it what it is. It's that work that I can appreciate.

It was disappointing to say the least to have folks make fun of others' rides. When we were getting the crap over on FABO for being there, I argued on behalf of the guys who were putting some serious work into his ride to make it what it was. To dismiss the work and sense of pride one has for simply not having an A-body was a reality check. Where I come from Mopar guys help each other. An LA is an LA, an RB is an RB. A bolt is a bolt, a weld is a weld. Rather it's a Hemi powered E- or a slant powered J- they all start with the same nuts and bolts, they all paint the same.

There were non F-body owners coming to our defense. (The sub-forum didn't "include" M's of J's, officially.) These were the guys who hold to same idea we're discussing here. The same guys who see a Mopar and think it's cool.

I generally ignore the people who say "nothing good was coming out of Mopar after 1972." That statement is full of ignorance. Our F/M and J's have literally billions of real world mileage on 'em and proven themselves time and time again in fleet usage in terms of durability and longevity. The L'il Red smoking the Vettes of the day. 440 powered Coronet and Fury sedans from the late '70s being the fastest sedans on the planet in the day. The turbo cars of the '80's beating on the V8's coming from the other two of the Big Three. No, the person who says that isn't a Mopar fan, he's a fan of his Mopar and that's it. If Chevy had made his car, he'd profess to be a Chevy fan, but only a fan of his Chevy.

Every car has as story to tell. Some of us want to listen to that story, want to understand that story. Some folks just don't know how to listen or don't care to learn how.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I believe it. And the guys I hang with believe it also.

I think my prospective comes from being a restorer for eight years. Sure, I made money off the antiques, but the passion which drove me to do my best wasn't based on money, it was based on the owners' own passion about the vehicle. A lot of what I restored wasn't based on the monetary value of the vehicle, anyway. What drove the owners was usually sentimentality. "My dad bought this car." "I've owned this car since it was new." "My late husband kept this car stored all these years, hoping to do something with it." When you have a car owner standing in front of you relating stories of his or her youth, or how much a certain family member meant, it's hard not to get involved with the history of the car. Making dreams come true, giving 'em back a piece of the past. Hell, even with Jamison's J-body build it's not about the money that it will take to make it a car again, it's about the memories he'll have and the experiences he'll gain. He'll be talking to his grandkids one day, telling stories about how he and his Uncle Robert built that car. You can't buy that.

While a '69 Camaro may not be my thing - I'll usually walk past 'em at the shows to seek out the Mopars - I can appreciate the work that went into it. Even the check writers rides. Unless the car is a survivor, someone along the line put some work into the car to make it what it is. It's that work that I can appreciate.

It was disappointing to say the least to have folks make fun of others' rides. When we were getting the crap over on FABO for being there, I argued on behalf of the guys who were putting some serious work into his ride to make it what it was. To dismiss the work and sense of pride one has for simply not having an A-body was a reality check. Where I come from Mopar guys help each other. An LA is an LA, an RB is an RB. A bolt is a bolt, a weld is a weld. Rather it's a Hemi powered E- or a slant powered J- they all start with the same nuts and bolts, they all paint the same.

There were non F-body owners coming to our defense. (The sub-forum didn't "include" M's of J's, officially.) These were the guys who hold to same idea we're discussing here. The same guys who see a Mopar and think it's cool.

I generally ignore the people who say "nothing good was coming out of Mopar after 1972." That statement is full of ignorance. Our F/M and J's have literally billions of real world mileage on 'em and proven themselves time and time again in fleet usage in terms of durability and longevity. The L'il Red smoking the Vettes of the day. 440 powered Coronet and Fury sedans from the late '70s being the fastest sedans on the planet in the day. The turbo cars of the '80's beating on the V8's coming from the other two of the Big Three. No, the person who says that isn't a Mopar fan, he's a fan of his Mopar and that's it. If Chevy had made his car, he'd profess to be a Chevy fan, but only a fan of his Chevy.

Every car has as story to tell. Some of us want to listen to that story, want to understand that story. Some folks just don't know how to listen or don't care to learn how.

Incredibly well put Sir,
Like you said, they all have a story. I bought my Caravelle from a sweet old guy in a seniors home for $400. Everyone said I was nuts for buying it, It WAS rough. Worn out, rusty etc. My original intention at the time was to use it as a beater but half way through making the sale, the old guy looked at me and with all sincerity said, "I know YOU'LL look after this car". Well, that must have stuck with me because instead of driving it into the ground, I've sunk about $5,000 into her (with more to come). When I got her painted and had her back together, I brought it back to the old timer to show it to him, He was beaming. He couldn't believe what I had done with it. He said "See, I knew you'd look after her". His wife started crying when she saw it. They truly loved that car. And so do I. Like you said Robert, You can't buy that.

Jonno

Reaction score
Incredibly well put Sir,
Like you said, they all have a story. I bought my Caravelle from a sweet old guy in a seniors home for $400. Everyone said I was nuts for buying it, It WAS rough. Worn out, rusty etc. My original intention at the time was to use it as a beater but half way through making the sale, the old guy looked at me and with all sincerity said, "I know YOU'LL look after this car". Well, that must have stuck with me because instead of driving it into the ground, I've sunk about $5,000 into her (with more to come). When I got her painted and had her back together, I brought it back to the old timer to show it to him, He was beaming. He couldn't believe what I had done with it. He said "See, I knew you'd look after her". His wife started crying when she saw it. They truly loved that car. And so do I. Like you said Robert, You can't buy that.

Jeepers what a great story. Pass the kleenex, I'm cryin' myself!

Eric your attitude is a thing of beauty. It is an honour to be hanging with you guys!:)

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
My R/T has been in my family for 32 years. This car is the reason I am into mopars, it's the reason my dad and my brother are into mopars. I have had several other cars (A/B, and E's) but they have all come and gone and I still have my R/T.

I can go to a show and usually it is the only one like it there. I have a lot of people tell me "they remember when they came out" or "they always liked those cars". On the other hand I have a lot of people that think it is some wild creation I came up with, and that is the reason I started taking factory literature to shows with me.

My car is just as clean underneath as it is on top, she is loaded with NOS trim and upgrades, I have way more money in the car than it will ever be worth, but I still lose out to other cars that are not even on the same level because it's an Aspen. I lost best mopar last year at a local show with 2 mopars, mine and a 70 satellite cloned as a roadrunner with cracked paint, ripped seats, and dented bumpers/ trim.

I have just come to grips with the fact that it will always be that way I guess lol. It doesn't matter how nice my car is she will be looked down upon because of what it is. Pretty much sucks but I guess that is how it is.

I stopped to talk to the editors of a well-known mopar magazine a couple years ago at the nationals and they were interested until I told them what kind of car I had, and I've seen other stuff in their mag that doesn't even come close...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You know, the first time I even realized that there was prejudice between Mopar's was a few years ago. One if the first times I brought my Caravelle to a show I quickly realized that the "real" Mopar guys didn't give a crap about my beautiful "M" with a "meager" slant six. I was surprised actually because I thought, "Hey, my car is a Mopar too". Ultimately I didn't really care and what I DID figure out after going over and over again was, while the Mopar snobs were doing they're best to ignore my car, all of the "regular folk" who were just coming to look at cool old cars really liked mine. I'd swap stories with the older guys who said they used to have one and how great they thought these cars were, etc. The moral? As I've said throughout this entire thread. We drive beautiful cars. Some are rough, some are mint, some are powerful, some are slants right out of the box. But they're all awesome cars. The way some of these guys carry on reminds me of being in grade school when the other kids would give you a hard time cause you were wearing GWG's and not Levi's. I mean really! Be proud of your cars people. They all wear the Pentastar. Wear yours with pride.

Last edited:

qurtuba

Reaction score
NICE pentastar!

I wore a whole building with a pentastar on top once :icon_cheers:

trip53.jpg

Back