Second Chance at a MOPAR the "BlackBird" build

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Here is a good one.
eatonslant.jpg

eatonslant.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
OK so I have got a head from the old volare engine that John has held onto I will be pocket porting the head my self. valves are $80 dollars sized 1.7intake 1.44exhaust and the cam kit is $289. and then of course the machine shop to grind the valve seats and lap the valves. I don't consider this expense connected with the super charger because I was going to do this anyway. That should be about 500 or 600 so far.

getting a block and stripping it down boring it .040 over even if it doesn't need it. :tongue3:

Now for the fun stuff the super charger. Getting the M90 supercharger is the easy part they are 150-200. here comes the hard part. an adapter plate must be made to mate the bottom the the blower to the intake manifold. this has to be done carefully so that the angle of pulley is correct. another adapter has to be made for the rear of the blower this is the air intake side. and where the carb will be mounted onto. Also a boost relief valve needs to be installed to keep the pressures in check. I like the idea of not having an air cleaner stick out through a hole in the hood so that will be my focus on making the adapters and brackets to keep it low as possible. I want this car like a sleeper. Just another slant, nothing to see here....mwahahahaha

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
wish me luck with that craigslist ad for the free slant!!! its coming out of a 65 dodge truck with a manual 3 speed. Which means it could be the sought after forged assembly. If I come off with that I will be going ALL out on the supercharger idea. SO EXCITED!!!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Eaton M112 is a little overkill for a slant 6. An M90 should be OK to 15 PSI or so. Now of you need to run more boost than that, then the M112. If they are talking about it coming from a Jag, it is probably from an XKR or XJR. I don't know how many of those are available in junkyards, because they didn't sell that many cars new.

17 PSI is very high for a stock rotating assembly motor. How long has it been running with the turbo? How is the turbo lag while street driving?

Kostas

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
M90's are not designed to be drawthrough from what I understand you have to replace the bearings or install seals or something and then the gas wont strip the lubricant out of them. I am having trouble finding info on that. Like what parts are needed and where to buy them.

Volare4life

Reaction score
Bro super sexy build, but a turbo is the best route, blowers are nice, but buy the time to get done making it work you will have 3-4 times what a good turbo set up would cost
f870c6f5-7d97-4589-bca4-c564cacee01a_zpssaojsnfh.jpg
if your intrested the setup is available including the blown motor, I got greedy with 20+lbs of boost lol and its a complete setup from intercooler to oil pan, turbo, carb intake turbo cam and solid lifters etc, and a properly built slant 904 using V8 guts is better and lighter than a slant 727, I know i have run both, and still have the slant 727

f870c6f5-7d97-4589-bca4-c564cacee01a_zpssaojsnfh.jpg

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Bro super sexy build, but a turbo is the best route, blowers are nice, but buy the time to get done making it work you will have 3-4 times what a good turbo set up would cost your intrested the setup is available including the blown motor, I got greedy with 20+lbs of boost lol and its a complete setup from intercooler to oil pan, turbo, carb intake turbo cam and solid lifters etc, and a properly built slant 904 using V8 guts is better and lighter than a slant 727, I know i have run both, and still have the slant 727

That is a pretty nice setup! I think I have decided to stick with the M90. I like simple. I have a relative who works at a tool and die company one of those flanges can be made in about an hour. I am using a 2bbl manifold and cutting a 4bbl sized box out then welding a flange to it. after that the rest of the parts can be bought at the junk yard or ebay. the super charger is only 150-200, a serpentine crank pulley can be made to work and a belt tensioner can be bought easy at a junkyard. Its looking like the super charger itself will only cost 300 maybe 400 dollars. the other things that I am doing are the normal things that are done when rebuilding a motor accept that I am rebuilding is going to get a blower cam.

Volare4life

Reaction score
Well good luck, and if you decide to change your mind I have a list of slant awesomeness up for grabs lol

greymouser7

Reaction score
Just do a hell of allot more research than I did when I was buying small block parts. I don't want to share my dilemma experience with you or anyone. If you buy the blower, carb adapter how much more will it take to get the super fancy intake & custom exhaust-turbo portion?

Aussiespeed M90 blower manifold
THat is the best looking four barrel intake manifold for a slant that I have ever seen-never seen before! wow

Back