Something you may not see in the USA

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This is why I showed you guys, I know its not a Chrysler and it would appear not everyone uses their old mopar as an everyday driver and drive other car brands, there is nothing to say you have to be brand loyal. I am sure some of you guys see a new car on the market and go uooooo arrrrrr that is a nice car, oh hang on its got a GM badge and all of a sudden its crap, ugly and yucky. My Cordoba is my 5th USA built Chrysler, the Holden is the second Holden I have owned, the Mopar holds a special place for me, its a 318V8, it has torsion bar suspension, it has a tough trans, its a coupe, its got roots back to muscle car era (V8, Coupe) and it gets lots of attention. Is it the most beautiful car mopar made, I doubt it, is it different? sure is and its a V8! Why do I like the Holden as an everyday driver, its got an O/D transmission, has a super charger which looks good and whines, its got plenty of room in it, it handles NZ roads well, its got enough power to leave some fat tyre marks on the road, I can get parts for it the next day and a 0 - 62mph run in about 6 seconds will give most V8s a good run for the money. But still I like my Cordoba and my Cordoba lives in the garage and my Holden lives outside :) Also you guys have it good, we pay in NZ about $6USD a gallon for gas!

There is no harm in it at all.
I've never seen a Holden either and although it's not necessarily my cup of tea it is interesting.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm still in hate mode towards any front wheel drive econobox. So I dig the Holdens. The Holdens kept to the Rear wheel drive plantform when all the limp wristed companies went front wheel drive. Sad that all good companies go the fate of the dinosaur. Hudson, Packard, and others not absorbed by the big 3.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yeah we have been pretty lucky down here although not American some of the models have American running gear ford are pretty big in Aussie as well, but they are pulling out next year too after 50+ years.

Holdens runs the LS V8 and Fords run the 5.4V8

slant6billy

Reaction score
There is a pretty narrow minded business model that companies (car companies specifically use). Risk analysis is a major over played variable. Once a forecast is made that may mean profit loss and the risk mitigation is something stakeholders can't live with, they fold and walk away. Businesses fail every day. A lot of it is due to these business models that don't have the ability to adapt to tough times. If profits fall and things go into the negative, it is time to replan, but there should have been a damage plan always in place. A lot of the book MBA types just don't get it. Plenty of older business founders who had not gone to an ivy league school, but could face and stare down difficult business times. Today's typical suit with an MBA is too much of a pussy and pushes the panic button in times when it is meant to replan, retool, and rebirth. I've had businesses fail, I've been shown the door, and when I worried about failure, it weakened my performance. I don't focus on failure anymore. I focus on making the best output. It is probably too late for Holden, but these business will all fall and fail if they don't get folks who fear not failing nor focus on it

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz, does that mean that Holden and Ford (Australian divisions) are both gone? Are they essentially leaving Australia and NZ to the Japanese/Chinese/Koreans/...? Seems like a pretty stupid move to me.

Also, the only person who had a problem with your post is Dr. LeBaron. Eveybody else seems fine with it, so don't worry about it.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi,

The Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon are Aussie Icons, they were tough built cars for Aussie conditions, as time has gone on the bigger cars with bigger engines have become less popular with mom and dad as the preferred family car. Other makes have snuck in and mum now seems to like people movers and SUVs are the norm, Ford Australia and Holden Australia will continue in Australia but they will import cars to fill the gap rather than manufacture. Ford have a new policy now that they are only having a dozen platforms and the aussie cars didn't fit that with dwindling sales it was decided to cut it out. Holden followed suit not long after ford made the announcement sighting not enough sale of the big car. So on the outset it would seem its due to Aussies and Kiwis not buying big cars anymore.

Do a search on Ford XR6 Turbo, these things are lightening quick, even Americans have been down under to reviews on them, they run an all aussie 4.0L inline 6, double over head cam with variable cam timing with a whooping turbo bolted on the side matched to a German ZF 6 speed auto! They will just about kill any USA car on the road for perfromance, handling and fitment, also take a look at the Ford G6E Turbo its the old mans luxury version, let me know what you think. They do 0-62mph in about 4.9 seconds out off the show room floor and Ford have said the engine is capable of much more, its not uncommon for people to increases the boost!

Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTz3RkhnuiY

Also ford have just released in Aussie a new model to take then to the end of their life

Hope this helps

See You
Bruce

Bruceynz, does that mean that Holden and Ford (Australian divisions) are both gone? Are they essentially leaving Australia and NZ to the Japanese/Chinese/Koreans/...? Seems like a pretty stupid move to me.

Also, the only person who had a problem with your post is Dr. LeBaron. Eveybody else seems fine with it, so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
If they're all pulling out of Austrailia and NZ, what cars will be made "down under"?

I'm born and bred Mopar (OK, I did own a '76 Ford Elite and a '78 Toyota Supra GT Liftback in the early to mid '80's IN ADDITION to my Mopar's) but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I always enjoy seeing and reading about other makes, especially those not seen in North America. When I go to a show or cruise I don't turn up my nose at brand X. I'd never own a Chevy (for example) but no matter what the make, a nice car is a nice car. Same as a bad car is a bad car and I've seen some poor excuses for Mopar's at shows too. What I mean is, I'm first and foremost a Mopar guy and also a car guy.

Not to offend anyone here but I have no desire to own a 5th or Dippy BUT I enjoy looking at them and the stories that go with them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you know what I'm getting at! :)

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Both nice cars, and a real shame they are going out of production.

The Ford's 4.0L Turbo V6 sounds like a really nice engine, wonder why they never brought it ove here? It would have been very interesting in the latest Mustang; the 2.3L turbo is a decent engine, but the 4.0L Turbo would have made as much power as the 5.0L Mustang V8, and probably would have gotten better gas mileage. I can definitely see why Pontiac used the Holden for the GTO and G8; interior is almost Pontiac already, and exterior wouldn't have needed much of a change to the front and rear to have the Pontiac styling cues added.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
No cars will be made down under and you are the same as me except you guys are spoiled for choice :)

If they're all pulling out of Austrailia and NZ, what cars will be made "down under"?

I'm born and bred Mopar (OK, I did own a '76 Ford Elite and a '78 Toyota Supra GT Liftback in the early to mid '80's IN ADDITION to my Mopar's) but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I always enjoy seeing and reading about other makes, especially those not seen in North America. When I go to a show or cruise I don't turn up my nose at brand X. I'd never own a Chevy (for example) but no matter what the make, a nice car is a nice car. Same as a bad car is a bad car and I've seen some poor excuses for Mopar's at shows too. What I mean is, I'm first and foremost a Mopar guy and also a car guy.

Not to offend anyone here but I have no desire to own a 5th or Dippy BUT I enjoy looking at them and the stories that go with them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you know what I'm getting at! :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
you have got is all backwards, the interior is Holden already not Pontiac lol lol

Both nice cars, and a real shame they are going out of production.

The Ford's 4.0L Turbo V6 sounds like a really nice engine, wonder why they never brought it ove here? It would have been very interesting in the latest Mustang; the 2.3L turbo is a decent engine, but the 4.0L Turbo would have made as much power as the 5.0L Mustang V8, and probably would have gotten better gas mileage. I can definitely see why Pontiac used the Holden for the GTO and G8; interior is almost Pontiac already, and exterior wouldn't have needed much of a change to the front and rear to have the Pontiac styling cues added.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This off topic conversation is kinda cool eh! Got lots more interesting stuff coming up of what we use to own in the past, Aussie cars etc. I like mopar thats why I own one! But other brand X cars have some good points as well. Don't you worry in NZ and Aussie there are people who will have a fist fights over which is better Holden or Ford! But us guys know the hidden secrets of mopar :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always thought those Aussie only Chrysler UTE's were cool as hell. Wonder why the car/truck was never offered here? I know GM played with the idea of a new El Camino using the Holden version but it never came to be. Sharp car (truck?) though.

chrysler ute 1.jpg

holden ute.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I got a problem with them Aussies.
They make some crazy parts causing my wallet to get lighter! Simply put, I'm addicted to boost, I just can't get enough!!! Lol, here's an Aussie made 671 manifold for a SB Mopar. Well worth the $1500 price tag, awesome design and quality!

The last pic is a Portuguese made SB Mopar manifold for a 671 blower.

Yeah, I got a fetish for blower manifolds:)

Picture 667.jpg

Picture 664.jpg

Picture 668.jpg

619_pq.jpg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Anything from as far away as New Zealand must be cool. I've never seen anything from there, so I am fascinated.

Back