Subframe connectors

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen this discussion before and the general consensus was there's more strength in the tube than half a C chanel.
If you plan on welding them in yourself then buying a set already fabricated is just pissing money away. All it is is box tube and angle iron. They're simple to fabricate.
I completely agree with both. After I opened the box, I scratched my head and said, I could have done that – for a lot less $$.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
One thing I wished I'd done when building my connectors is make clearance something in the driver's side one for the parking brake cable. I have it going over the top and it works but, isn't ideal. Already has the cable coating worn off.
Sorry for the crummy out of focus photo.:oops:
DSC00297.JPG

Locomotion

Reaction score
A home built subframe connector doesn't have to go through the floor and be welded the whole length, just through the lowest areas would help a lot. It will look better not being too low and 2"x2" would help keep it tucked away as well. A wall thickness in the .080" - .090" range would be plenty, which is probably at least as thick as the OEM frame. In a race car, you'd want to tie the main hoop into it too.

tubtar

Reaction score
I'm just starting on an '80 Volare wagon and was wondering about frame connectors.
It would appear that we are on our own with these now.
I fabbed them for my early A body , and it looks like I will be doing the same for this one.
Mopar Archives - autorust.com

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you go to Mopar FJM Body Archives - autorust.com it leads you to https://www.classicindustries.com where there is very little FMJ stuff being sold (almost nothing).

US Car Tools also make subframe connectors – but will require more welding (possibly).
There is no mention if subframe connectors Mopar F-Body are for 2 or 4-door cars (4-door cars is a bit longer).
This is "all" US Car Tools shows to be available for FMJ’s:
USCarTools SubFrameCon.jpg

Over the years, I’ve been impressed with what US Car Tools has had to offer, but not seen any actual products in person - so take this sentence at arm’s length.
BudW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
I have sets of both of those items in the garage. They appear to be of good quality and gauge but I have yet to excavate the car in the garage to see how they fit.

Back