Superior Trans Parts TF-TC Kit

Aspen500

Reaction score
More money than the braided one you mentioned earlier but this one comes with all the pieces needed for installation so you don't have to seek and search and wonder. Only downside is, to order you have to call them (international rates?). No online ordering for whatever reason, at least there wasn't last time I got something from them anyways. Good people there, very nice, very helpful. Tell them what you have and what you are looking to do and they'll get you the right parts to do it.
Got one of these on my car and it works perfectly.
BPE TorqueFlite Kickdown Cable Kit - Bouchillon Performance Engineering
kickdown.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the slot in the kick down linkage? All I can think of is if you take your foot off the gas pedal real fast it lets the carb come back real quick and if the trans kick down is slow to return it won't hold carb open.

aspen77rt

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the slot in the kick down linkage? All I can think of is if you take your foot off the gas pedal real fast it lets the carb come back real quick and if the trans kick down is slow to return it won't hold carb open.

Huh?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Was the slot in the factory set up a safety thing? If that kick down leaver got stuck or jammed up under full acceleration carb could still return to idle?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok I finally managed to get my headers to seal and a bit of a learning curve about gaskets and the different size gaskets there are for headers, they are not all the same, did dam gasket twice, yeah I know I am a slow learner! Never get caught on that again!

My linkgage setup seems to work all ok, took the car out for a ride last night and its changing gears much nicer! Now alternator light is on, grrrrr when do these old cars stop testing us :)

Thanks
Bruce

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the slot in the factory set up a safety thing? If that kick down leaver got stuck or jammed up under full acceleration carb could still return to idle?
I have had this happen to me twice.
For me, one time was a stick got wedged under car leaving kickdown stuck in 1/2 throttle position. Transmission was acting funny, and didn't take long to figure that one out.
My other time was driving in rain/ice storm and kickdown linkage froze up from ice accumulation. That time I couldn't move the throttle but only to off-idle). A few love taps from hammer handle broke up the ice and took care of that.

In your current setup, if a stick or ice happened to you like it did me, you might have problems.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yes I agree, chances of a stick on a tarseal roads in NZ unlikely but not impossible and snow/ice is not a problem where I live, having said that guy at work was driving a long and a stone hit the trans cooler oil line and split it and he toasted his trans, what are the chances of that happening! But crazy stuff does happen. Bud - Thanks for all you help and advice!!

When I get more time I will look at seeing if I can set up better with the correct parts for the USA, just need to get the car mobile so I can get the wheel alignment sorted and the panel and paint sorted.

Thanks
Bruce

80mirada

Reaction score
Check for a burnt through fusible link, since you had a cooked one. Double check the connectors on the back of the alternator. There is a procedure for diagnosis for both the regulator and the alternator

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yep working on that fusible link idea now, going to get my multi meter and check that I have voltage on the batt terminal on the alternator, if I don't that fusible link is toast, I am at work now, 10:20am in NZ at the moment.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I bought some fusible link in ebay and just got an email to say they are refunding me as Dorman can't supply, grrrr see below email

Hi Bruce, we have had tons of trouble getting product from Dorman and it’s affecting our buyers experience and our performance as a seller. We are working with Dorman to try to find solutions so that this doesn’t continue to happen. In the meantime, we had to refund 100’s of orders to keep our customers satisfied. I apologize.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
That might be a great idea.

Back in the day, fusible links were good.
Now days, they are a pain in behind, for there is no "pretty" way to fix 'em.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Got to the bottom of alternator problem, the fusible link was toast, touched it together and no sparks, turned ignition on and nothing got hot, so put a crimp joiner, started car and all seems fine! Its a temp fix until my 100amp fuses arrive.

Back