The BIG 360 rethink

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Have not had the heads off, that is my next step, if you look back in the post you will see where I had one of those bum cameras down the plug hole to try and see what I could find, I am going to have to pull the heads, unlike all other guys here who seem to have hours and hours to work on engines I have a 40 hour a week job, 2 young boys and wife that does not share the same passion with cars as I do, so I just can't go out to my shed and whip a head off that easy, or if I do the car is likely to be out of commission for months, so what I am really trying to do is have everything in place so I can go wham bam thank you mam job done, but not really looking like that can happen until comp is known and cam spec's checked.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Did you watch the video, why does it all of a sudden pick up the revs and get going, is that cam or timing, the dizzy advances all ok, I will have to check again but all the advance comes in under 3000rpm from memory.

So we can rule out the short block and timing chain. Is it safe to assume the distributor is advancing? About how far down are the pistons, ball park? Whatever stock would be? Was the motor bored with new pistons or was the block just honed with stock pistons & new rings? Just trying to get a guess at compression. I'm guessing 8.5-1 if there stock pistons. Most aftermarket pistons will have ID on the top, like TRW .030 or something like that. I'm guessing you'd rather not buy pistons at this point if you don't absolutely have to. We can work with whatever you have.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have had the V8 mechanic check it over and set timing, (which I had set right anyway) He drove it and thought it was quite doughy down low but had good power up top

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Th video in #79? I'm sorry, I couldn't get much out of that.
To do an acceleration test for video, the camera needs to be on the speedo. And it needs to be solidly mounted. By observing the speedo needle climbing and having a stopwatch across the video, we can learn a lot. It is best to have a second-gear only run. It is even possible to determine your horsepower from those two, if we know the exact vehicle total weight at the time of the test. Second gear because it eliminates tire spin, slows things down, and the speed does not become excessive.The HP calculations are too long and tedious for me to want to do them for you, so please don't ask,lol. You can buy a windshield mounted accelerometer to do that for you. It's called a G-tec,Pro.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Performance Meter
This is an older version, of what AJ/FormS is talking about.

I broke my mount, so I need to figure something out (I really want the newer version, anyway).

The newer versions, will put this one to shame (like comparing any vehicle today to one made over 100 years ago).
BudW

Back