The trouble with the FF Torsion bars...

Duke5A

Reaction score
That's odd. If I try and bounce the corner of the bumper with my knee the car barely moves. Have you driven it yet? The very first turn you make it should be a night and day difference. More so than installing sway bars. Like staring at the face of God. Well....you get my point.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
That's odd. If I try and bounce the corner of the bumper with my knee the car barely moves. Have you driven it yet? The very first turn you make it should be a night and day difference. More so than installing sway bars. Like staring at the face of God. Well....you get my point.
Nah...I was heaving on it pretty heavily right in the center of the bumper.

To your point though, yeah, at the corner it is pretty tight. Ultimately though the road test will tell the story...and to get there I just need to finish the 'spit & polish' on my 2nd 8.5x15 rim, re-mount the tires and fire that rascal up for the season!!!

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
OK, here are the pics...nothing unusual, but maybe a decent reference point for anyone else doing this work?

tbar1.jpg

tbar2.jpg

tbar3.jpg

tbar4.jpg

tbar5.jpg

tbar6.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Anyone notice the FF site does not currently list any FMJ T bars or sway bars and related parts on there site. They used to say out of stock or made to order but now it looks like zip.

Does this mean they are done or what?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Anyone notice the FF site does not currently list any FMJ T bars or sway bars and related parts on there site. They used to say out of stock or made to order but now it looks like zip.

Does this mean they are done or what?
Kind of looks that way, doesn't it?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Ain't a lot of people with the skill set that are willing to install torsion bars worth more than the car itself. I don't blame them.

Camtron

Reaction score
Ain't a lot of people with the skill set that are willing to install torsion bars worth more than the car itself. I don't blame them.
It’s definitely this. Sure plenty of people still own these cars, but the amount of people buying aftermarket parts for our platform is next to none. If they F and J bodies don’t get this platform the support/attention in the next few years, I’m figuring all support will end.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's a loose loose situation. Companies don't want to invest much in support when it's such a limited market yet one of the things that keeps people away from these cars is lack of support. Another factor is when these cars were at the age to gain popularity as the older models got more expensive the new hemi cars were out.

On the plus side pretty much all of the mechanical parts aren't specific to these cars so it is so easy to get replacement parts for so much and do upgrades.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Damn, I'm glad I got the 1.25" front sway bar when I did.

Duke5A

Reaction score
And this dummy here (me) waited too long.

I'd give them a call. You never know. If they were made to order before they could spin another one up. I doubt they got rid of the tooling.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Redneck idea: is it possible to change a car over to an A Body K frame and torsion bars? Or is that just stupid?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If you were going to that nuch work you might as well go coil over front suspension and open up to more options.

Lightning II

Reaction score
Redneck idea: is it possible to change a car over to an A Body K frame and torsion bars? Or is that just stupid?
I’m not sure that the angle of the M-‘s frame rails would match up with the A-body K-frame.

If necessary, there is the idea of getting A- or B/E repro frame rails and welding them in place. Lots of measuring would be needed though.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
Paul Rossi put an A-body front clip in his Mirada. It didn't look that difficult.

wolfmandip

Reaction score
OK, here are the pics...nothing unusual, but maybe a decent reference point for anyone else doing this work?

View attachment 53424

View attachment 53425

View attachment 53426

View attachment 53427

View attachment 53428

View attachment 53429
Thank you for posting pics of your t-bar replacement. I have a related question/topic; I recently replaced my pivot cushion bushings with FF inserts/plates and NOS shells, and after putting weight on the car/driving a bit have a gap between the lower portion of the shell and the bushing. Your install looks like I would expect, bushings tight to the bars and shells. Is this typical or has anyone else run up against this? Also, semi-related, attempting to contact FF over the last couple of weeks and radio-silence, I hope everything is ok out there.

IMG_20240703_210647537.jpg

Back