Time To Whip It Out!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Piss Me Off Edition

Well today's plan was to go get the Volare out of it's winter slumber, drive it to work tomorrow and then bring it to my friends garage to give it a bumper to bumper once over.
If the wife is going to use this as her daily I want to make sure everything is solid and worry free for her...

So....I take off the cover, pop the hood, connect the battery, pour some oil in to lube the top end, pump the peddle a few times and crank it......she cranks a few times and I wait....gotta get gas to the carb.....crank it again and she fires up like a champ.
Immediately evens out and is purring like a kitten.

Then.....I smell gas.
I get out to see what's going on and it's raining gas
I can see it absolutely pouring out underneath.
So I immediately shut it off before I set not only the Plymouth on fire but also an entire garage full of classic cars.
Without a descent flashlight I can't really see jack but I suspect it's the crappy rubber lines going in and out of the fuel filter.
Conveniently eaten by the ethanol laden gas the previous owner used to feed it.....they will be replaced Wednesday or Thursday when I have time.......

Piss me off.....this was supposed to be a fun day.....
Pandora's Plymouth strikes again.....

alf44

Reaction score
my volare had a fuel leak on the right side line as it follows the frame rail. must of rubbed to long and never noticed it till we jacked the rear up to weld the tail pipe. then it was a waterfall of gas. had to cut about 2 feet out and repair line. where was she leaking from?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm positive it's the rubber connectors on the in or out of the fuel filter.
Checked the frame rail lines and they're high and dry...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
maybe next time roll em out before you try to start em:laughing11:

Ugh....I'd have to push her up a nice long ramp.
I'm going to swap that rubber out and have my buddy there with a nice bright flashlight to make sure it's good.....we'll know pretty quick and then if it is leaking somewhere it'll be a squirt instead of a lake before I shut it off. :sad3:

Freaked me out I'll tell you....
More so after the fact thinking of how it could have gone......

Monkeyed

Reaction score
my gastank has a leak, but it's oon the top. It'd drip a little after driving when full. I j

Monkeyed

Reaction score
my gastank has a leak, but it's oon the top. It'd drip a little after driving when full. I jacked up the left rear to do the brake, and it started raining gas, I had to put a catch pan under there so I could finish

Monkeyed

Reaction score
48*F and sunny, t-shirt weather! supposed to get up to 65, storm tomorrow, then in the 80s on thursday!! lots of people whipping it out already today !

alf44

Reaction score
you have the smaller tank then in your car? you looking for the 18-20 gallon tank??

Monkeyed

Reaction score
you have the smaller tank then in your car? you looking for the 18-20 gallon tank??

I have the 18-20 gallon, I had a half-baked idea about finding something bigger that could fit in that space where the bottom of the trunk is, does that make sense? It would take some fabricating, probably more trouble than it's worth..

Monkeyed

Reaction score
started on my water pump, who knew it was going to be major surgery?! Reminds me of my Olds 307

Monkeyed

Reaction score
started on my water pump, who knew it was going to be major surgery?! Reminds me of my Olds 307

IMG_20140506_205207_862.jpg

should have taken some as I was going, oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out..

IMG_20140506_205355_970.jpg

IMG_20140506_205355_970.jpg

IMG_20140506_205207_862.jpg

Back