At least the interior and engine compartment look pretty good yet
DSC00016.JPG
DSC00017.JPG

DSC00010.JPG
DSC00011.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm officially never going to put my truck photos out here. Jeeze you guys are intimidating with those immaculate beauties!

My Chevy has enough dents in the body that I'm shopping craigslist for a replacement bed and figuring I'll just prime and paint the rust dents on the sides and front. Never mind the torn air dam and missing fog lights. I did remove the cow-catcher off the front this weekend and of course there are spots where the paint is rubbed off where the grille pushed on the body. The rear bumper is shoved up under the bed about 2 inches and the tailgate only opens if you shove it closed with your shoulder while pulling the latch open. (David Clark -- does any of this sound familiar?). Drunk cowboy messing with a golf cart creased the side, brother backed it into a tree, dad whacked the rear passenger bed panel (twice) on the same post cause of the vodka impaired depth perception. I killed the air dam and fog lights hauling cars out of the ditch during the ice storms a few years ago.

But there is no quit in that Chevy. So at 261,000 miles I'm gonna put replacement seats in it, vacuum the interior, replace the a/c compressor and it stays on the road another 40,000 miles.

I just heard that the average car cost in the US is $30,000 -- hell no.

Love the beauties you have, but I love my beauty (warts and all) just as much.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I'm officially never going to put my truck photos out here. Jeeze you guys are intimidating with those immaculate beauties!

My Chevy has enough dents in the body that I'm shopping craigslist for a replacement bed and figuring I'll just prime and paint the rust dents on the sides and front. Never mind the torn air dam and missing fog lights. I did remove the cow-catcher off the front this weekend and of course there are spots where the paint is rubbed off where the grille pushed on the body. The rear bumper is shoved up under the bed about 2 inches and the tailgate only opens if you shove it closed with your shoulder while pulling the latch open. (David Clark -- does any of this sound familiar?). Drunk cowboy messing with a golf cart creased the side, brother backed it into a tree, dad whacked the rear passenger bed panel (twice) on the same post cause of the vodka impaired depth perception. I killed the air dam and fog lights hauling cars out of the ditch during the ice storms a few years ago.

But there is no quit in that Chevy. So at 261,000 miles I'm gonna put replacement seats in it, vacuum the interior, replace the a/c compressor and it stays on the road another 40,000 miles.

I just heard that the average car cost in the US is $30,000 -- hell no.

Love the beauties you have, but I love my beauty (warts and all) just as much.
Try LMC for a bed.

GMC Truck Parts & Truck Accessories from LMCTruck.com

Darth-Car

Reaction score

My Chevy has enough dents in the body that I'm shopping craigslist for a replacement bed and figuring I'll just prime and paint the rust dents on the sides and front. Never mind the torn air dam and missing fog lights. I did remove the cow-catcher off the front this weekend and of course there are spots where the paint is rubbed off where the grille pushed on the body. ...Love the beauties you have, but I love my beauty (warts and all) just as much.

Being in TX does it have the steer horns on the hood too?:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
My truck looks WAY better in those photo's taken in the shade than it does in real life :(

Could have whipped it out today, I chickened out. The forecast was for no rain but the way the sky looked (and still looks) with the heavy overcast, I just didn't trust it. Not a drop of rain came out of the clouds. That'll teach me to not mistrust, won't it?:p

Aspen500

Reaction score
Can't. The base is too heavy:D

Since I got November, got curious about Miss November 1979 and looked it up. Yowza! That'll work, lol. The good old days,,,,,,,no silicone, no tattoo's, no body piercings..............I miss that.

Kind of tough to find a pic I can post here but, found one!
november 1979.jpg

Last edited:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Nice, I am going back to Tomball today to see the grand kids. I am going to get some time to at least visit my car and start it up.
photo 2.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Took the car to work on Monday, then the weather went to crap. Tomorrow shows sun and no chance of rain so it's getting whipped out again. Don't know how many more days we'll have in the "season" so can't waste any of the ones that are left:cool:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Took OY for one last drive into town and back today before putting it into the garage, likely for the winter. It was a disappointing summer, Aspen-wise. I STILL don't have the plaid SE interior in. It needs new carpet, and I have to figure out if I have to buy both a two door four speed carpet, and a four door automatic carpet and splice the two together to make the unavailable four door, four speed carpet. I have a great set of plaid 60/40 seats, front and rear, a perfect dashtop, perfect plaid door panels, rear cargo doors, an AM/FM/CB transceiver (to replace the original AM/CB), a factory interior rear hatch panel with the two speaker grilles, an entire power steering setup (sans a nice SE steering wheel), a right side remote mirror with the lower dash panel for the control, a dash "reverse light" (I know they weren't used on the '78's, but I have the one from my '76 and I want to use it anyway), a nice woodgrain dash bezel, a chronometer clock and the two speaker metal dash top to use with the smaller stereo speakers. All sitting and waiting to be installed. What I don't have is time. I bet I haven't driven OY more than 5 times this summer. Family health issues and a very slow motion flip on a house, and a job that demands too much have all been dragging me down. The one thing that I did get done was to put in the new Hurst shifter and reinstall the rebuilt original A833. It makes a world of difference in driving it. So, maybe next year I'll get to spend more time on it, finally get my SE interior in, and take it to some shows.

IMG_20160606_133513631_HDR.jpg

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Can you not just buy the standard 4-door column shift carpet and cut a hole in it for the floor shifter? That`s all I did when I changed my 2-door carpet with the console automatic.

Aspen500

Reaction score
With an automatic you could do that 7T8. With a 4-speed, the tunnel is different, has a big "hump" on the side for the shifter and linkage. OY has a 4-speed car.

Actually, when you buy carpet you have to cut all the holes needed for the console brackets and automatic floor shifter (if equipped) along with the seat belt bolt holes.

Whipped mine out for one of the last times (probably) this season on Friday. Drove it to work. Always looks so cool, the Aspen parked next to the '67 LeMans of another guy in the shop. It was another 29 miles on the odometer.
Can't be sure since my odometer was not accurate for a while, then changed speedometers so it was accurate and kind of lost track but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it has to be somewhere around 600-650 miles which is more than double 2015. Most of it is thanks to my coworker buying that LeMans last spring and driving it to work quite often. Kind of got the ambition up to drive the car more and not be QUITE so worried about random rock chips or something happening to the car. Main thing that worries me is rain so if there's even the slightest chance of rain,,,,,,,,,,,car still won't come out.
Pretty sure I posted these before. If I did, sue me.
They're from a couple months ago.
DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought 7T8, but Aspen 500 is right. The transmission hump is significantly bigger right where the floor shifter is to allow for the linkage, so the automatic carpet will not fit. Apparently, the floor pan is the same between the four doors and two doors, except the four door is extended about a four inches or so under the front seat area. So, the only way I can think of to make it work, is to buy both a two door four speed carpet for the front, and a four door automatic carpet for the rear, cut them apart under the front seat area leaving about four extra inches and splice them together. I don't mind doing that, but it becomes fairly expensive, and I don't want to screw it up.

Back