Upgrades

mopar master

Reaction score
Those both look like good options. I'll look into them. And on the running it's really aggravating. It runs fairly good for a 30 year old car one day then just like that it's bucking and sputtering like crazy.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
been there done that, classic failing computer. also check your vapor canister in the front right. it spit a bunch of shit into my carb. i used to have awful anxiety driving around in stop and go traffic because i didn't know if it'd be a great drive or a stalling stuttering mess. it was a 75% chance for me having a great drive and 25% hell on wheels before i finally got my car fixed. was hard to find a shop in my area that knew what my issue was too
Those both look like good options. I'll look into them. And on the running it's really aggravating. It runs fairly good for a 30 year old car one day then just like that it's bucking and sputtering like crazy.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
This is what I used on my 87 Fifth Ave.
$75 for the distributor, wires and pig tail. The cap can be clocked every 90%, takes about an hour. Plenty of room.
$75 for the carb. For a 70 Mopar.
Both work like new money, from eBay and Amazon.
And the return filter for vapor lock.

1706398222646.png

1706398275059.png

1706398926982.png

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
The one time I had the behavior you are describing it was the computer. It was my first M body and only civi one so computer was mounted under hood with heat. I couldn't figure out what was wrong so took it to dealer and they replaced computer. When they work, they work well but diagnosing and fixing isn't as basic as non-feedback carb. I don't mind keeping them as long as they work properly but I'd probably go with non feedback carb now and replace ignition.

LSM360

Reaction score

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Mopar one is for cars that already have electronic ignition. It's just a tune up kit, not a conversion kit. To convert from ESC (Lean Burn) you also need a distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance, along with the wire harness.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The mopar distributor king, Halifaxhops on For A Bodies Only, can hook you up with an HEI set up

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You just need a Carter BBD two barrel for Mopars, non feedback. And that ignition OLDIRON posted up top is a good one. I prefer to keep it looking Mopar so I used a Mopar Performance ignition kit.

Mopar Performance P4529791K: MOPAR HP IGNITION TUNEUP KIT Fits: Most Mopar 1964-"86 318/340/360 - JEGS

Mancini has a little more complete one

Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit, Hi-Po ECU

That's pretty much what ive always used.
I also prefer keeping it mopar. Leave HEI where it belongs on a GM :)

mopar master

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So do y'all care to put a link to everything I need on one post. I'm scattered lol. Im not stupid but I've never had to do all this.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
The Mopar one is for cars that already have electronic ignition. It's just a tune up kit, not a conversion kit. To convert from ESC (Lean Burn) you also need a distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance, along with the wire harness.

...but the instructions do have a section titled: "Replacing Lean Burn Control Computer Ignition" on P3, so presumably one could accomplish this...unless of course the instructions themselves are wrong, although the content doesn't seem all that bad...

Kern Dog

Reaction score
keep an eye out for that spark control computer on the air cleaner. does your Fifth in general run well now? don't worry about it. but if it begins stalling, shaking, making weird noises. lean burn delete kit might do wonders. did wonders for my Gran Fury. this involves a new carb, distributor, and ignition module

I'm guessing that the Lean Burn differs from the Spark Computer?
I've heard of the ignition kit to replace the Lean Burn system, Mopar Action magazine had several comments about that fix.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the Lean Burn differs from the Spark Computer?
I've heard of the ignition kit to replace the Lean Burn system, Mopar Action magazine had several comments about that fix.
Or instead of swapping one computer for another, just delete the feedback carburetor, put a non feedback on, and throw the air cleaner back on. The computer will just run the ignition without any input from the carb.

Back