Who here owns a cop Diplomat? Or any Dippy?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I see "AHB" mentioned in several posts. What does that stand for?

AHB is the Chrysler sales code for police cars.
If a car is a real AHB, it will be marked as such on the fender tag
The fender tag is on the Left inner fender as indicated by the white arrow.
20160721_205900_resized_1.jpg

20160725_171218_resized.jpg

This fender tag IS NOT from an AHB.

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Charlie_S,
Can you include pictures of your parts (note: more is better)
have a complete mechanical front clip, including engine, and trans, brakes, and steering . . . Also have the rear, but it is not a SG.

I’m not a police or AHB expert – but I did have an ’84 Gran Fury AHB (a rusted out Oklahoma Indian Reservation police car) that I removed basically everything mechanical from – that wasn’t rusted to pieces. I can tell some of the parts are police by looking at them – and I know we do have some experts here who know a lot more than I do about them.

My differential (8¼”, 2.9:1) is also has an open carrier.
I have no proof of this - but I suspect most police cars did not have limited slip,

BudW

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am tech challenged, so I will have a problem with pics, but I will try, next week. What parts, in particular do you need pics of? The parts in question, are just parts. Car (fender tag) is long gone. It is a 4 bbl 318, has PS cooler, and oil lines that went to a cooler.
My 88 Dippy, (Purchased new by me in 1989) is not a Police car, just a regular dippy SE. Pretty sure the parts car I'm getting is also not a police car.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The P/S cooler and transmission oil cooler (also might have an external engine oil cooler) are good tips that parts are from an AHB.
The transmission cooler lines will be on drivers side of engine compartment (not far from battery) and engine oil cooler lines will run along the passenger side of engine compartment – both sets of lines run up and over the core support on both sides of the radiator.

My ’84 Gran Fury AHB did not have an external engine oil cooler on it.

For regular usage, most AHB police parts might not make a lot of difference – unless you are trying to make a clone or plan on racing the car.

In my case, I plan on racing my ’86 5th Ave, after installing a mostly aluminum big block into it – so the heavy duty suspension components, transmission and engine oil coolers is something I was looking for.

The 318 4 bbl police engine is nice but has too low of a compression ratio and needs a camshaft before engine really comes alive.
The transmission is nice sense it has higher shift points calibrated into it and is all in all a heavier duty unit. It should have a bracket bolted onto the transmission oil pan that will keep a police officer from downshifting car into manual low gear (something that is easy to remove).

Depending on what your plans are on your’88 Dippy is, your AHB parts might be worth more money in selling (then again, or maybe not).

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
That ,I dont remember.
I'm thinking 8s
I didn't think they would fit on the back, but they do.
I wouldn't recommend on a 4 leaf spring setup.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Do many or any of these cop cars have the different rear spring shackles & brackets that were to have come with a rear sway bar option? The shackles are wider at the top and fit the corresponding wider bracket on the frame. The lower end of the shackles are a normal width where the leaf spring attaches.

Would like to find out what parts cars to look for to to possibly try something with them in a different application.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Any FMJ car that came with rear sway bar (most, but not all, police cars fit into this category) will have different rear spring shackles (the angled shackle and frame attachment part).

I have pictures and data – but hadn't completed an informative thread about this subject, yet.

Could you rephrase your question?
BudW

Locomotion

Reaction score
Any FMJ car that came with rear sway bar (most, but not all, police cars fit into this category) will have different rear spring shackles (the angled shackle and frame attachment part).

I have pictures and data – but hadn't completed an informative thread about this subject, yet.

Could you rephrase your question?
BudW

I'm just trying to narrow down which cars to look for that may have the frame mounted brackets if I don't find them online. I don't need the shackles for what I want to try. Thanks.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The (rear) frame mounted brackets are specific to ’76-89 FMJ cars (only) – with two sets available: with OR without factory rear sway bar.

The front brackets are not different.

The shackle fits some (but not all) minivans. I’m hoping wife will let me go to a pull apart this weekend get perform more research on it – for I have some suspicions I want to check out before commenting more on that subject.

The rear bracket is the kicker. The only thing I can see is one will need to find a pair of FMJ rear brackets (still fairly common) and modify them to work. I think this can be done fairly easily – but hadn’t tried yet. (Note: I do not weld nor am I a fabricator). I need two pair of brackets myself and already have one pair – so I will need to make a pair to use and make another set as a spare.

I have several pictures/notes gathered and I will be posting on this exact subject – but not quite ready yet.

BudW

Locomotion

Reaction score
If you find any extra FMJ sway bar shackle brackets and need any standard shackle brackets, I can trade. I like to fabricate, but I'm not a welder either.

LSM360

Reaction score
My '89 with a period correct-ish light bar just resting on the roof. Car has 410 small block, dyno'd on engine stand at 468hp/528lb/ft torque, 3.21 sure-grip with the stock AHB 8.25 rear, 727 trans. Scary fast.
89with410.jpg

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
You're alive!!

I was actually thinking of one of your cars the other day and was then wondering where you'd been lately. glad to see you're still around, and hopefully all is well.

LSM360

Reaction score
You're alive!!

I was actually thinking of one of your cars the other day and was then wondering where you'd been lately. glad to see you're still around, and hopefully all is well.
Yes, just been kind of busy, but still check in once in awhile. All is well though, thanks.

Back