383, A sense of direction

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Smiles, its not the point of me using or not using a rear mounted battery (it is the way to go).
The question is where to put it (as well as a spare) and still have the rear look, um, normal and functionable.
I still have twins to carry around as well as soccer gear and other stuff to lug around.
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
906 heads:
I can get a set of 906 heads for next to free. Would it be worth grabbing them and having them hogged out and rebuilt by my local machine shop or should I just stay focused on a set of Trick Flow or 440 source heads? Figure cost wise, will be close to the same no matter which I chose, but could the 906 heads be opened up enough to flow as much as a trick flow or stealth head?
I do kinda like idea of a very stock appearing build when the hoods popped open, only reason I ask.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Can't comment on the 906 heads capabilities but the 440 Source heads would appear pretty much stock if painted. If you have to pay to have the 906 heads done with opening the bowls up, opening up the throats, port matching, etc, and by the time you buy good valves and springs, get valve seats replaced (if needed), get guide inserts put in and then the seats ground and valve heights set, you may be better off dollar wise with the 440 Source heads. Plus they come assembled with new SS valves and spring, ready to bolt on. It says they flow better than a fully ported stock head out of the box. I see they're on sale right now for $499 each too.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
By the time you buy valves, springs, keeper and retainers, install liners, shave the heads to 80cc and have a valve job done you can spend most of the $1000. But I would start by having the 906 heads Magnafluxed checking for cracks.
Depending on your combination your giving up 50 to 100hp using ported iron heads.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I guess I'll third it, going iron in your build will be a waste of money. You'll dump the same amount of money into those iron heads it would cost to buy alloy ones, and in the end you would still have an inferior head.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two pair (4) 440 Stealth cylinder heads, still in the box, for my builds. My two primary goals is for engine to “look stock” and to get rid of as much cast iron as reasonably possible.
I am not looking for all out horsepower – so flow rates won't matter to me quite as much. Port size might not even be a factor for a street driven low RPM torque monster.

I have a decent pair of '73 400 cylinder heads if anyone wants to carry 'em away for me (they can have 'em). The cost to ship 'em might not be worth the money, though.
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
Stealth heads have been at the top of my list just on their current price. Has been at $499 per head for months now. I just get into arguments with the lady every time I mention spending money on car parts lately; she didn’t appreciate me stocking up on ammo either but, I felt like that was a priority.
People are getting squirrelly in my neck of the woods the last couple days. State wide home stay/self quarantine was announced this afternoon. Goes into effect at 5pm tomorrow, 03/21 till April, 7th.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Hehe, my wife has no problem with me hording firearms or ammo – but has an issue with me spending money on car parts.
We also have several months of food stuffs stockpiled. We are ready for this event and I have a ton of small projects ready to tackle around the house, cars, etc.
I might get bored in 6 months . . . maybe.

The ONLY problem we currently face is our 13 year old twins are tossing fits, not doing chores and so forth (ie: bored). Personally, I don't expect school to restart this year.

My work sent me home Tuesday and wife has been working at home a week ago Friday. Kids have to be quiet if either of us is on the phone (work call) – which just adds to what was just mentioned.
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
Dad’s lost his job, brother’s lost his job, my sister in-law is about to lose her job, all my lady’s clients have cancelled their up coming appointments.
I’m still working full time but, I don’t know if or how long that will last. Our company is arguing we’re an essential service (we supply construction companies and equipment manufacturers with expanded & perforated metals, bar grating, fiberglass grating and panels and wire mesh) but, I think they’re just blowing smoke to try and keep everyone calm. They don’t have any idea what’s going to happen between tonight and Monday morning.

80mirada

Reaction score
my wife is still in the office, but services are now suspended. All of the kids are home, They will all be resuming classes on line. plenty of ammo and guns, on hand and no food shortage. I'm still working 40hrs, bit they are giving g us more sick time to use.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
All of the automotive repair shops I work with are open and currently slow (real slow).
If a person needs to get some automotive repair work performed, this is the time to get it done (like alignments, etc.).
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea, really who I feel bad for in all this are the people’s who livelihoods have been labeled as ‘non essential’. Some people have planned well in life and maybe ok for a while with things how they are right now, but a whole lot more are already hurting and feeling the effects. That’s what puts me on alert being in Chicago. The social and economic poverty lines are still pretty visible here block to block. If people start to feel like they’re getting squeezed too hard, things will start to pop off here in no time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Since auto repair is considered essential, we're open but it is very slow. Friday we had only 3 or 4 on the schedule but have been getting quite a few walk-in's so it's not TOO bad. Although we did close at 3pm Friday (normal is 4:30). The shop will make it through OK due to the owners being financially responsible and having a big monetary buffer so I'm not worried. It will affect our personal bank accounts not working the usual 43 hours a week but, we'll all be fine too. Like many, I've suspended any unnecessary spending for the time being though.

That said, the Stealth heads have to be one of the best bang for the buck parts on the market. I considered them when building my car but after spending who knows how much on it already at that point, I got cheap. The closed chamber 413 heads I have are far from ideal but get the job done. They have 2.14"/1.88" valves, throtas opened up, guides tapered, ports cleaned up (not really ported though), port matched, with Milodon SS swirl polished valves. It cost about $200 (in 2010) for a light cut on the deck mating surface, all new guides, new exhaust seats (and one intake), and grinding the seats plus another $350ish for the valves (I had the springs already and they had MAYBE 500 miles on them, but the wallet was still happy. Can't forget the hours upon hours with the die grinder, carbide burrs, sand paper rolls plus sore arms either. In hindsight it may have been worth spending the extra but too late now.:eek:

Camtron

Reaction score
Gotta stop looking for parts and deals online.
Just found a 78 Monaco. Police ordered by a detective and he kept it when he retired. Complete, running driving, E86 HP 440 magnum and 727...$1,500 with the Monaco body included lol

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Me personally I have a thing for building hp not buying it so grinding on my heads is my thing. I can get 645hp from a pair of 915 heads the same way it has been done for year's, just a bit of careful grinding and very careful cam selections.
There is a certain amount of satisfaction in doing it yourself and not just slapping parts on.

Camtron

Reaction score
Long term, I want to get a floor shifter from B&M or Lokar and ditch the column shift all together.
Short term, I’m 6’4 and the column shifter is right up against my knee. Has anyone put a goose neck on their column shifter or purchased a replacement they could recommend?
I don’t particularly want to take a torch to my shifter, but I’m not apposed to it either, lol.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Long term, I want to get a floor shifter from B&M or Lokar and ditch the column shift all together.
Short term, I’m 6’4 and the column shifter is right up against my knee. Has anyone put a goose neck on their column shifter or purchased a replacement they could recommend?
I don’t particularly want to take a torch to my shifter, but I’m not apposed to it either, lol.

Whoa, not everything requires flames! lol. The shift handle is held in place with a roll pin. Just tap it out.

These columns are actually GM units, so you can still find plenty of parts for them sold brand new. I would guess actually taking out the column shift and making it look correct is not a big deal.

Camtron

Reaction score
Whoa, not everything requires flames! lol. The shift handle is held in place with a roll pin. Just tap it out.

These columns are actually GM units, so you can still find plenty of parts for them sold brand new. I would guess actually taking out the column shift and making it look correct is not a big deal.
Lol, I know it’s held in with a roll pin. I mentioned the torch because I was going to remove the shifter and heat it up with the torch and bend a goose neck into it so, it’s not so close to my knee.
Since The columns are GM units, that makes buying a replacement an easy option. Plenty of GM shifters pop up when you search for a Chrysler shifter...it’s all starting to make so much sense now, lol

Edit: may still end up torching and bending a shifter lever. Seems most aftermarket column shift levers bring the lever closer to the drivers seat as to where, I need it bring the shifter up and away from my knee.

Last edited:

Ele115

Reaction score

I don't know why, but in my M-bodies, I just can't get the wheel anywhere near where I want it. The wheel and shifter are always in the way if you're a decent size person and I can't see the gauges unless I drop the wheel down deep into my femoral artery, but my eyes are still in the headliner gazing at the starting instruction decal

Back