383, A sense of direction

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Buy the same parts from a good ebay seller, a good kit with alto reds and steels and a good transgo kit and thats a good start... if you want to pay 2x 3x for a name behind the same parts jump on it. A good lever and HD band struts are cheap to buy as well.

If you buy bands from cope you also pay a core charge and no one else does selling the same parts does.

Just a thought, your money, hes a good smart guy but really is for the wealthy check writers with no skills and the high HP guys who really need billet parts.

Well, dont know how your gonna use the same trans on a small block and a big block but you will figure it out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
trying to talk myself into ordering some parts from, Cope Racing Transmissions. Particularly a High Performance rebuild kit, billet low/reverse servo and a pro street automatic valve body assembly.
Want to put together a bomb proof small block trans. Something that I can use behind the Magnum swap; and behind the future BB stroker.

Figure it should be easy enough with, John Copes help.

A small block trans won't fit on a big block, bell housing is different.

Camtron

Reaction score
...they make adapter plates for this very purpose of using small block transmissions behind big block engines. That’s how.

Camtron

Reaction score
Thats not the way to go in your application, but have at it.
coming from a guy who didn’t seem to even know it was a possible route, I’ll take your reply lightly.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Look, I was trying to be polite. I got adapter plates out in my shop on my nascar to R5P7 to 727 ,maybe some people dont like to see smart people do dumb things when its not needed.

Maybe if youd consider input from people who have done what your doing years ago it would make your build easier but some just got to learn on there own.

In your build its not the norm or would be the smartest move with all the other factors involved including overall costs. So take it anyway you like but in the end I bet you dont go that route. Many people will suggest against it in your application.

But its all good. Good luck.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I was in same predicament almost when I dropped big block in the car. I was running a 518 and was completely unwilling to give up overdrive. The 518 was only ever built with a SB V8 pattern. The original plan was to use an SMR transmission adapter plate which I had found on Craig's List. Installation though required lopping of a section of the block to make it fit. Considering I had just put $15k into that motor the answer to that was a resounding fuck no. Sold the SMR adapter and bought an Ultra Bell. Involved cutting the bell housing off of the 518 instead and bolting the Ultra Bell in place of it using the pump housing bolts. I was willing to sacrifice the 518, but in the end it worked out stellar. Ultra Bell runs $550, or at least that was the price four years ago.

I'm still running the 518 and it doesn't have anything done to it save for a deep cast pan and additional stacked plate cooler. Eventually it needs to be built right, but I'm not making any traction anyhow.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
And the ultra bell would take all the pitfalls of the spacer out of the picture.

Camtron

Reaction score
Look, I was trying to be polite. I got adapter plates out in my shop on my nascar to R5P7 to 727 ,maybe some people dont like to see smart people do dumb things when its not needed.

Maybe if youd consider input from people who have done what your doing years ago it would make your build easier but some just got to learn on there own.

In your build its not the norm or would be the smartest move with all the other factors involved including overall costs. So take it anyway you like but in the end I bet you dont go that route. Many people will suggest against it in your application.

But its all good. Good luck.
To be fair, you’ve offered:
“buy the parts from someone else” and “I don’t know how you’ll bolt a small block trans to a big block”...that’s very little input; useful input anyway.
I know it’s not the norm and I know it will get pricey. But these days, tracking down and rebuilding a BB 727 for a stroker will be just as pricey and expensive; you know classic Mopar parts are made from solid gold; or at least the prices for things lately would make you think so.
You’re one of the guys on here that I do value and appreciate your advice and experience, but I’ve said it before, nothing about building and putting money into this car is practical. Why let the trans be anything different.

Camtron

Reaction score
And the ultra bell would take all the pitfalls of the spacer out of the picture.
Can you elaborate on the pitfalls of the spacer vs. the ultra bell? Just less relocating and stronger bond from the weld vs bolts in the plate?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the pitfalls of the spacer vs. the ultra bell? Just less relocating and stronger bond from the weld vs bolts in the plate?

The SMR adapter is a plate that goes between the block and transmission. You need a spacer between the crank and flex plate to make up the difference. It's a real janky setup. Since the Ultra Bell takes the place of the factory SB bell housing entirely there is no need for a crank spacer.

Duke5A

Reaction score
To give you an idea of what is involved:

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

No way in hell I would ever modify the block to make this work, so this is the way I decided to do it.

Got to say though, I don't think you're going to need a CRT built transmission for this project. I could probably find you a SB 727 to use behind your 360 until you go BB.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Pretty much covered above, them dam spacer deals are a last resort for most. I only have one because when I did mine the only adapter plate was about the only option to put an mopar auto on a R5. And with only one guy making them it was $750 and if I had known the poor quality id of made my own. And unless a proven kit more then not its make your own crank/vert spacer to make it right. Just a crap way to go for most things.

Wasnt trying to be harsh Cam, I think I read your a new father (excuse me if im wrong) and nothing is cheap and non of us are millionaires. We all know its getting worse and you might add 20% on to what you think its all going to cost because it always seems to end up that way. I try to save money at every turn these days, some I can some I cant.

Camtron

Reaction score
To give you an idea of what is involved:

View attachment 46730

View attachment 46731

No way in hell I would ever modify the block to make this work, so this is the way I decided to do it.

Got to say though, I don't think you're going to need a CRT built transmission for this project. I could probably find you a SB 727 to use behind your 360 until you go BB.
He doesn’t even build transmissions anymore, just sells the parts to, DIY. Can’t find anyone to help him in the shop with builds so, he’s just a part supplier now.
I’ll have to look into the crank/converter spacer subject. They don’t list any additional needed parts; but maybe that’s because they clearance the back of the block and just don’t list that info. Sounds like I have another email to write.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Just watched copes vid on you tube about not building, good choice as his growth was hurting him and he was treating the people who feed him poorly for a couple years.

Here is a so called good adapter but its still just an adapter.

DSC06545.JPG

DSC06547.JPG

DSC06548.JPG

DSC06549.JPG

DSC06550 (2).JPG

DSC06467.JPG

DSC06517.JPG

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
To be fair, almost every builder/part supplier I’ve ever talked to has been a little less then accommodating as far just being a decent business owner. The guys at Hughes Engine, Firm Feel, CRT, 440Source, Mancini; nearly everyone in the game. Ask one too many questions or a question they feel should be common knowledge and the tone of the conversation quickly changes.
Hell, Dave over at Hughes Engine got ticked off because I asked him to ship out my parts that he had in stock and to bill me additional shipping at a later date for my back ordered parts once they’re available...I thought it was a fair request.
one thing that seems to be rampant in the car scene is, “I did it like this, any other way is wrong”. There’s so many ways to skin these cats. Just think about how boring racing/cars would be if everyone did it the same.

Camtron

Reaction score
Skimming through his YouTube videos at work I found this:

Looks like, the trans to engine adapter plate comes with a new flywheel and crank adapter to replace the stock flex plate and then you either delete the ring gear off the converter or buy a converter without the ring gear. Seems straight forward for what it is.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Everyone has there comfort level, I could not use that on my stuff because I run it too hard and that bell looks way thin.

Not saying it would not work for you. Seems odd cope acted like its the first time he ever seen those parts. You should be around 600lbs tq and if its a street car that will never see slicks or dead hook yea... but why build a BB stroker if your not gonna use it?

But really its your comfort level in the end. Id like the see someone go at it with the 3 inch hole saw...thats whacked.

Camtron

Reaction score
I think it should work fine. After all it’s built for drag cars that are only ever at WOT, should be fine putting a stroker around the city. Why build the stroker if it’s not going to get raced ect...probably the same reason people are buying 500+hp cars that will never see their top speed, slicks or a dead hook; because it’s just more fun per cubic inch, lol.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
After all it’s built for drag cars that are only ever at WOT... Thats not what he states in the vid.

He says its not SFI approved and not a kit for high powered track cars (did you watch the vid fully? I did), it would never tech on a fast car on a fast track. Outlaw track sure.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

Back