Carpet for 4 speed wagon

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I can see the plaid as a love it or hate it kind of thing that can go on you or not.
I like it and I think it will jazz up your wagon.
That's true. Back when they were new, I didn't like the plaid at all. But now, it just seems to fit OY perfectly. Very seventies! Thanks for the feedback guys!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of 60/40 seats (but no plans on changing what’s currently in my Fifth Ave currently). That said, I do like the plaid and in this case, it fits.

I might be mistaken, but have only seen that color plaid seats. Would be nice to have that “scheme” but in blue for my wagon (wonders off . . . dreaming, again).
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I think they are much more comfortable than the basic bench. I also like the looks of the plaid in OY. There was a change in the 60/40 seats between '77 and '78. The '76 and '77's had a bit thicker seat backs with an aluminum "chrome" trim strip around the sides and back. The '78's through '80's did not have this trim strip. Although it is not technically "correct" for OY, I prefer the older style with the "chrome" strip. Also, I was damn lucky to find excellent plaid seats at all, so I wasn't going to be fussy. I believe the plaid seats were originally available in either tan like mine, or red. I have never seen them blue, but that would be really great if they had made them. I think also that they were listed as "Highlander Plaid".

Oldiron440

Reaction score
That's funny I was thinking I had only seen plaid seats in person and only in blue one time.....?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
1978aspen005-jpg.jpg

1978volare006-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I've never seen blue in the wagons, but it might have been available in the coupes for some other years, but I'm really not sure. I was wrong about being it being called "Highlander", it was actually called "Hillcrest Plaid".

77_Volare_0001.jpg

My "1978 Dodge Color & Trim Selector" only lists "GWU5 Tan" and "GWR4 Red" as available - at least in 1978.

78 data book.jpg

Here it is listed in both the Aspen and Volare catalogs for 1978:

1978aspen005-jpg.jpg

1978volare006-jpg.jpg

This young lady could tell us all about the options available on the wagons!

Aspen show girl #2.jpg

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's hard telling what I remember, I keep putting random bits and pieces in the old gray matter and it gets harder to get them out at the correct time.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a coupe with blue plaid, but it is replacement material. I don't know if it was ever plaid to begin with. These are pics from the internet.
replaced plaid 1.jpg

replaced plaid 2.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Ok, I finally ordered the 4 door carpet from Stock Interiors. I found a coupon online for 5% off, so that helps a little, but....ouch! This means that I had to order the 2 door four speed carpet to use up front, and now the 4 door carpet for the back - all because they don't make the 4 door four speed carpet. Since I also ordered "carpet by the yard" to carpet the cargo area, I've wound up spending over $500 on carpet! No eating of drinking in the car please! I might make people take their shoes off too! Hope to have it delivered by this weekend, so maybe I can get it in and make the last cruise night this year, but probably not.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
The four door carpet from Stock Interiors arrived! I can recommend them as very good to deal with, and their carpets are made by ACC which are very nice quality.
Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors
They are also FAST! I just ordered this carpet on Tuesday, and it was delivered Friday. The "Mass Backing" rubberized backing, along with the jute which is also attached, is supposed to act more like soundproofing rather than just plain jute backing like from the factory. The box was fairly heavy at almost 40 pounds.

IMG_20181020_131142677.jpg

The carpet looks really nice, and I was surprised how much larger the four door carpet is than the two door carpet. It is now easy to see why it wouldn't have worked very well to try to piece a four door 4 speed carpet together from a two door 4 speed and extra carpet. As I noted above, the catalytic hump would have been moved too far back into the four door foot area, and I would have had to add a three or four inch spacer strip under the front seats, as well as two "dog ears" at the sides of the back seat to account for the curved seat bottom on the four door as opposed to the straight seat bottom on the coupes. Just too much of a hack job. So, now I will just have to make one cut across the center under the seats to piece the two door 4 speed front with the four door automatic rear. I will try to find a carpet shop to have the edge bound where they overlap.

IMG_20181020_170225378.jpg

I also ordered a yard and 1/2 of extra "carpet by the yard" and plan on carpeting the rear cargo area of OY. I would like to find out how to mold the carpet over the rear wheel well areas, but not sure that I can. This "carpet by the yard" does not have "Mass Backing", and is much lighter. So, I'm going to have to try to figure out a way to maybe heat it up and mold it over the wells. I have a nice set of rear cargo doors that I will re-carpet and install, and the three cargo floor sections including the rear seat back should be no problem.

IMG_20181020_170502072.jpg

Seems like a LOT of carpet for such a small wagon! :D

IMG_20181020_170540281.jpg

Raff

Reaction score
The four door carpet from Stock Interiors arrived! I can recommend them as very good to deal with, and their carpets are made by ACC which are very nice quality.
They are also FAST! I just ordered this carpet on Tuesday, and it was delivered Friday. The "Mass Backing" rubberized backing, along with the jute which is also attached, is supposed to act more like soundproofing rather than just plain jute backing like from the factory. The box was fairly heavy at almost 40 pounds.

View attachment 31877

The carpet looks really nice, and I was surprised how much larger the four door carpet is than the two door carpet. It is now easy to see why it wouldn't have worked very well to try to piece a four door 4 speed carpet together from a two door 4 speed and extra carpet. As I noted above, the catalytic hump would have been moved too far back into the four door foot area, and I would have had to add a three or four inch spacer strip under the front seats, as well as two "dog ears" at the sides of the back seat to account for the curved seat bottom on the four door as opposed to the straight seat bottom on the coupes. Just too much of a hack job. So, now I will just have to make one cut across the center under the seats to piece the two door 4 speed front with the four door automatic rear. I will try to find a carpet shop to have the edge bound where they overlap.

View attachment 31878

I also ordered a yard and 1/2 of extra "carpet by the yard" and plan on carpeting the rear cargo area of OY. I would like to find out how to mold the carpet over the rear wheel well areas, but not sure that I can. This "carpet by the yard" does not have "Mass Backing", and is much lighter. So, I'm going to have to try to figure out a way to maybe heat it up and mold it over the wells. I have a nice set of rear cargo doors that I will re-carpet and install, and the three cargo floor sections including the rear seat back should be no problem.

View attachment 31879

View attachment 31880

View attachment 31877

View attachment 31878

View attachment 31879

View attachment 31880

That will look awesome when you’re done.

With the left overs you can do the seats, door panels, headliner, glove box interior......

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
With the left overs you can do the seats, door panels, headliner, glove box interior......
I was thinking with leftovers, he can make a few suitcases, a jacket and also line his tool box - but you beat me to saying it.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
leftovers
Yep, but it can't be helped unless ACC would make the 4 speed carpet in the four door configuration. I just decided that I didn't want to have too much of a patchwork job in OY. I think I will try to use the leftover unused "automatic four door front" and "manual two door rear" carpet pieces to cut out form fitted floor mats from them. At least they wouldn't be completely wasted then. Also, believe it or not, as I measured, I think I will have to use most all of the "carpet by the yard" for the sides and rear of the cargo area. Darn, I was looking forward to carpeting the engine compartment! :D

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Cripe! All of the sudden, it is Fall! I'm completely swamped with stuff to get done before the delightful cold, wind, rain and snow. I am fresh out of garage space and the poor old '50 Pontiac is tarped but sitting outside. The carpet is laying on TOP of OY which is a "non-negotiable item" to be in the garage, and I don't know when I will be able to get back to it. I have dryer sheets all over it to keep the little critters from moving in, and it smells like a coin laundry in there. The second bay is jammed full of everything from a relatives house that I had to break up, which takes an enormous amount of time to go through and get rid of. I hate to see my old Pontiac outside, but I have someone coming over to possibly buy it tomorrow. It's very frustrating to have so little time to spend working on OY, but... Oh well. Work first, then play. :(

Back