Doba is in Primer

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello,

My friend some 10+ years ago had a small paint and panel shop, he lives in Australia now and he is back in NZ on a 2 week holiday, the paint work on my car was done in lacquer and had seen far to much sun in California, so yesterday he said lets get it all in primer. He took all the dents out and sanded it all up and now its had 3 heavy coats of primer! Things happen real fast, next we will do the roof in primer which is a small area to do. Anyway he it is looking quite sad with no bright work and in dull grey :)

See You
Bruce

primer.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Looking good though. you are right. It takes longer to de trim, de chrome, and prep for paint. The shoot'n goes real fast.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
probably took 30 dents out of it and one large one, he's very good at what he does. But I need to get it into a booth to get the top coats on, thinking to change the color to a more darker metallic blue

slant6billy

Reaction score
probably took 30 dents out of it and one large one, he's very good at what he does. But I need to get it into a booth to get the top coats on, thinking to change the color to a more darker metallic blue
I was real satisfied with Duplicolor's stuff. 22 dollars a quart. It did not need any thinner added. Pour it right into the gun and shoot. I was good for those that don't do it for a living. Cheap enough to allow mistakes. And I shot mine with a 10 dollar cheap Harbor Freight junky gun with a borrowed 30 gallon compressor. So it was definite D I Y ( Do it yourself). Like I said CHEAP. You can test your eyes with the color on the car. If you don't like the color change, just reshoot.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking good though. you are right. It takes longer to de trim, de chrome, and prep for paint. The shoot'n goes real fast.
I would agree, sweating the details takes most of the time on a job like this (removing all trim, handles, removing bumpers and header panel, and all of the other things).

I have heard from many a friend who wished they took the time to strip car down to bare frame to paint the car and wasn’t happy they didn’t.
On the other hand I have other friends who wish they didn’t take everything apart and just did it like our friend here did.

Myself, I’m a prepper (won’t start until have everything in hand) and a perfectionist (if not right, I will keep doing it until right OR will use it for an expensive bonfire.

BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Removing everything is probably the best way to do it, I have done it once before and plastic clips end up breaking, it takes for ever to prepare the car, takes days to put it back together, it will look good at 20ft away, only to the trained eye will they see a small bit of paint on a piece of chrome or rubber. At the end of the day it will be 1000 times better than what it was before and to get it to that stage has probably cost $100USD

Bruceynz

Reaction score
He didn't know, it had no shine to it and was soft, that's why he put the whole car into 2k primer to seal it all up. He said he has never seen paint do that before, we tried to buff it some time ago and it wouldn't buff up the paint was coming off.
--- Post updated ---
Thinking of this color, probably not the best way to show it, cars original color is glacier blue VC4

color.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
One of the most common colours used by Chrysler in the years our cars were made is SC9, called Nightwatch Blue. is it more like one of the two lower colours on the picture you posted. You can see what it looks like on the blue Cordoba LS that is in this month's Car of the Month posting. It may be too dark for you, though.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Can you post the link, I didn't see the LS in night watch
--- Post updated ---
found it :)

May Car Of The Month Submissions: J body Stock/ Slightly Modified
--- Post updated ---
--- Post updated ---

Its quite a dark color, I want a lighter blue to make the metallic pop! and the white vinyl roof to stand out and the chrome wire wheels to look good! Its not painted yet so color could change at any time :)

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that the darker blue will make the white vinyl top and chrome work (all the chrome work, not just the wheels) stand out more due to the increased contrast, but you know what you want as an end result. I'm sure that it will look great no matter what colour you paint it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It looks like Graphic Blue (paint code TB6/ 8805 Imperial Blue) when I compare it to the 1980 factory colour chart that I have. Nightwatch Blue is darker. Could also be a non-Chrysler colour (some modern Chevys have a colour called Electric Blue or Ion Blue which may be a match as well). Hard to say definitively with all the variables introduced by digitial cameras, video monitors, and colour space issues with the internet. Part of the paint chip chart is below. Seems like the paint chip for SC9 has faded to black.

IMG_0038.JPG

Last edited:

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
--- Post updated ---

--- Post updated ---

Its quite a dark color, I want a lighter blue to make the metallic pop! and the white vinyl roof to stand out and the chrome wire wheels to look good! Its not painted yet so color could change at any time :)
Code SC9 Nightwatch Blue has zero metallic in it...its solid blue, so it won't be the color u are looking for...two of my favorite Mopar colors lately are B5 Blue Pearl (lighter blue that really pops) on the 2010 Challengers and KY112KBX Jazz Blue Pearl on the 2014 Challeger (darker blue but really looks great IMO). I almost chose JazzBlue for my Mirada, but I'm sticking to my original color SC9. Also, don't spray lacquer paint back on your car...you will be disappointed if u want a high metallic sparkle. If u can afford it, base coat/clear coat paint is the way to go...u can wet sand and buff the clear for years to come to maintain that just painted shine. A little more $$ up front, but a longer lasting paint job. If you were going with a solid color, then I'd suggest a single stage urethane. Also, if u choose base/clear, you could choose any base color that u like, metallic or solid, and just add pearl dust to your first two coats of clear, then just use pure clear on your last two coats...good luck no matter what u choose!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I like guys who paint their own cars, and end up with a great looking 10 - 20 footer, because that is the way the car came from the factory. So in my mind it is more realistic. You are fortunate to have a mate in the business who was able to help you out.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
My car is not a show car or trailer queen, it will look good but to the trained eye not 100% perfect. I have changed it from a 318 to a 360, the rear end is going from a 7.25" to an 8.25" the color is changing, the wheels have been changed, so for a numbers matching car and original car it will not be, but it will be one of a kind :) It will go how it should of gone from the factory rather than a smogged up weaser that could get out accelerated by a push bike! Can't wait to get it going!

Last edited:
Back