Doba is in Primer

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My car is not a show car or trailer queen, it will look good but to the trained eye not 100% perfect. I have changed it from a 318 to a 360, the rear end is going from a 7.25" to an 8.25" the color is changing, the wheels have been changed, so for a numbers matching car and original car it will not be, but it will be one of a kind :)

A one of none.
Perfect.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
in full primer now, will start the sanding down on Saturday morning

a.jpg

b.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Left side fibre glass fender extensions fitted up, needed some filing and new holes drilled, not perfect but much better than the rotten ones! You can see at very bottom they dont follow the body, my thougts are - don't tell anyone and they will never notice :) Your thoughts?

IMG_20160501_140224.jpg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Darn, those are good. Not perfect - but beats nothing.
You might want to make molds of them, before final attachment.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
These have had a bit of a bad press in the past, they are not perfect but problem is the old bits are rubber and held in place with clips, these are fibreglass and can't be moved, I am very happy! Much better than the old ones! I can't complain, if I wanted to use some filler I could get them to blend in pretty good.

Oh I didn't make them. These are from that place that makes them out of fibreglass. Cordoba » Product Categories » Replica Plastics

Last edited:

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
The key to a better fit for those qtr extensions is to section them by using a cutting wheel, bandsaw or whatever u have, just at the area where the extension begins to deviate from your body line of your car. As you have shown in your photo and stated, you had to drill holes and line the extension the best that it would fit, now using masking tape, lay a strip to mark your horizontal cutting line at the place where these extensions begin deviating from your quarter panel, while the piece is mounted per your photo, then remove the entire qtr extension from your car and make the cut. Yes I know they are expensive as I have bought three sets myself including the center sections, but unless you really can't use a cutting device, they can't be damaged beyond repair. The idea of sectioning the extension is to make them fit to the body as good as possible, and then fill in the gap(s) with fiberglas cloth and resin, overlaying the cloth as much as necessary to build up the integrity. These plastic extensions will not take a lot of the heat that is generated by the activation and curing of the fiberglas resin, so do small strips at a time and repeat after a cooled down cure. After making your cut, reinstall both of the cut pieces to your qtr panel to see your gap needing repair and then begin filling the sectioned gap with cloth and resin on the front and back of the of the extension. Be sure to match the lower extension piece curve to the bottom of your qrt panel...you might need to drill a temporary mounting hole and/or use small sheet metal screws to hold the lower piece in place as you begin the cloth and resin process. After the pieces become one again, i would remove the extension again and place a strip of cloth and resin inside the extension from top to bottom over the mounting ear and redrilled the mounting holes. (Not on the side that meets the qtr panel) I also used resin and cloth in the inside of the bodyline peak because these pieces aren't very strong structurally. After all of that, place the piece back on the car, bolt it down and then begin sanding the fiberglas down to match the quarter panel. You can use a little plastic filler ( bondo) if you need to and be sure to use a good filler primer to finish it off. This isn't a one hour fix, so take your time with the resin so that you do not melt your extension, thereby creating more work for you. I wish I had taken photos of this process before, but I don't have any at this time. My 80 Mirada is at my body shop right now and I'm gonna do this same procedure to my car, and take photos...its about 25% prepped for painting right now, but a 65 Fastback Mustang restoration is keeping me from it at the moment...but, I've done the quarter extension sectioning 2 times before and it works...just be patient.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Update - My friend is back on holiday from OZ, left hand side, trunk lid and hood are getting painted tomorrow, here it is sitting in the shed getting ready as of this morning 9/23/16
IMG_20160923_071636.jpg

When hes back next we will get the roof and right side painted up and the front/back fender extension done and then it will be finished. If weather not warm enough we will just prepare other side and when he comes back paint the whole thing.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Takes time to get it sorted and since I am not a paint and body guy and my friend is I have to wait until he has time, this is the last car he is painting! He got out of the business 10+ years ago to get away from the chemicals.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have to wonder why some fender extension deteriorate and some don't. I own 3 J bodies, a Mirada base, a Mirada CMX, and a Cordoba Crown. All the fender extensions are intact and still flexible. I don't think its related to sun exposure, as all 3 cars were never garaged, according to the people that I bought the cars from. The CMX and the Cordoba were stored for years out in an open field (two different owners in differnt parts of Alberta). Road salt may have something to do with it; Alberta doesn't use road salt, so it could be a chemical reaction between the road salt and whatever the extensions are made from I suppose. It may even be ground level ozone, but that is speculation, as I don't know if our ground level ozone is high here tor not. The only other point that I can imagine would have any impact is maybe the extensions for Canadian cars were made with either a different material or by a different manufacturing process. Does anybody know if the fender extensions between the US and Canadian cars were made by different suppliers?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to wonder why some fender extension deteriorate and some don't.
You know, I’ve wondered the same thing.

It may take someone with a chemical engineers degree and testing to find out – but what I suspect may have to do with mold, Tree sap, amount of time in day is in sun (as opposed to not in sun) and/or acid rain, in combination (or specifically, a lack of one of those ingredients, in combination).

Granted – I have no idea, for if I did, I could be the next millionaire.
This is just my random thought.

Bruceynz: Nice colour choice. What colour did you go with?
I agree. A nice color.

Do you have any details on that color, for us, please?
BudW

Back