Firm Feel Products

res1vw21

Reaction score
so it still bolts up like a factory F body one then... K I think I will keep my standard mopar shock plates.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I was late to the show

Ross you keep and clean and paint the upper plate where the shock mounts...

IMG00456-20110103-1240.jpg

And here is the finished product with the shock in place...

IMG00465-20110106-2053.jpg

Last edited:

res1vw21

Reaction score
yha but it seems like one more thing to buy (the the little plate thing) when I can just grab the regular style one off the shelf.

bill55az

Reaction score
I eliminated the isomount at the rear, used early B lower plate and rear shocks, cut down the upper plate to just have the sway bar mount so I could have the ubolts next to the spring pack, and filled in the big hole with a large shoulder nut welded in place. Had to drill out the nut a little to match the spring pack center bolt head.
There are pics over at Farley's diplomat site in the Library section.

As for springs, the front segment lenght of FMJ is the same as dakota springs, but the dakota spring pack is 2" shorter in the back segment length.
I used the dakota springs from a 2700 # rear axle rated dakota on my wagon, cars would probably be better off with about a 2300# rated rear axle. That involved moving the rear mount forward 2", and had some plates made to allow that. Rear axle rating info is on the door frames of both dakotas and FMJ.
A better way, if your main leaf is still good, is to cut the ends off a lighter set of dakota springs and put the 3 leaf pack under the FMJ main leaf. That will give you 4 leafs. If you started with 5 leafs, cut an old spring to make a spacer to fill the iso-mount box if you are going to keep it....

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Yep, it's my picture of my car...I also have the aluminum biscuits from FFI

IMG00459-20110104-2146.jpg
I'm just being dense here. How exacting does this work? I'm not grasping it.

I have the extended front hanger with SS springs mounted now. Along with the stock iso clamps.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Well, now that I'm thinking about it, it's more than that. Maybe 1" , it's the thickness of the iso pad and the thickness of the shock plate.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am going to build my own iso deletes, to me it looks as easy as making some steel plates the size of the rubbers parts, tack with welder, drill a hole for locator and bolt back up, rubber parts gone, or am I over looking something?

Thanks
Bruce

Leizurtime

Reaction score
For our cars they offer the aluminum pucks to replace the 4 rubber ones that are sandwich in between the k member and the frame...they also offer a package called the rear isolation delete kit...which removes the rubber that is sandwiched in between the leaf spring...I got both of those kits for my car because I was tired of the swaying boat ride on the freeway...can't wait to drive it again I have the rear done and can't wait to do the front...they offer poly bushing sets and more...

http://www.firmfeel.com/fmj.htm

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]F, M, J BODY[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ALUMINUM, BODY TO K FRAME MOUNTS[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rick Ehrenberg, Tech Editor of Mopar Action Magazine, installed a set of these on his A-38 (cop package) 1978 Monaco. His report:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Amazing! Since this setup ties the frame 'prongs' (longitudinal's) together, instead of allowing them to virtually flap in the breeze, the entire car feels - and IS - much more rigid. Now the K-member can do what it was originally designed to do - cross-brace the entire front end of the car. Not only is handling markedly better, road feel and wander incredibly improved, even squeaks and rattles are way down. Now it feels like a well set-up A-body sedan on steroids. Highly recommended. And, if you can believe this, this setup works even better on F, J, and M-bodies. If you've got one of those creatures, be it an Aspen R/T, Mirada CMX, or Dippy cop car, etc., don't even think about tackling the twisties without one of Firm Feel's setups."[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aluminum Sub frame Isolators, for F.M.J. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kit includes, 4 isolators, bolts washers and weighs 7 1/2 lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$225.00 per set.[/FONT]
bodymntfmj.jpg

K-frame.jpg

IMG00502-20110114-2003.jpg

rear20isos.jpg

IMG00459-20110104-2146.jpg

[/FONT]

Awesome, I was wondering where to find those sub-frame isolators. mine are destroyed. Also, I was wondering, are all FMJ upper and lower control arms interchangeable? I wanted to get the reinforced lowers offered by firm feel the tubular uppers look nice too :D but you have to mail in your cores for the lowers. I was wondering if I could just pull some off of any junk FMJ and send them in so my car can stay on the road while they rebuild them.

Leizurtime

Reaction score
So it wouldn't matter if it were a slant 6 car or V8 car? Thinking of getting some off of a 79 slant 6 Aspen. My car is a 77 318 Volare.

Back