Lets see those M Bodies

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Captain Caravelle, just like you, the Fifth is the newest car I own too. I don't like anything new either, except the Challenger. Nothing Asian either. Wish that stuff wasn't even here.

Totally agree.
The only new cars I like are the Challengers, still like the 300 and the police package Chargers are pretty badass. That's it. As far as ricers? All derby cars as far as I'm concerned. For a daily....can't beat my Fifth.I love driving the Caravelle and the Volare but they're off limits to daily abuse.

2013-05-04 12.09.10-1.jpg

2013-05-04 12.09.10-1.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Isn't it nice to know we can rely on these cars to go such distances. My Imp doesn't get driven daily. However, it goes back & forth to Va. Beach (5 times thus far) without a hiccup. It's not the sanitary, hear no, feel no road or road noise of the new egg mobiles w/headlights, but it is a thoroughly enjoyable vehicle. It seems that as technology advances, someone has to find a way to cram it into a vehicle. Not that is necessarily a bad thing, but why leave behind what makes a car great. Now I'll admit that I've been out of the game for over a decade, & I'm having a hard time identifying some of the new cars. Used to be you could tell one brand from another. Fast forward 30 years. What do you consider a have to have classic from 2014? Either a jelly bean carbon copy mobile? Or, everything with styling & body lines is "retro". HEMI 300? Bentley wannabe! Dog Fart? I mean Dodge Dart deaux? Mustang? Camaro? Vette? Maybe one of the "edgy" Caddy's? What do you think?

A classic from '14? Only time will be able to tell. Remember when our cars were born there was a lot of criticism as to what Chrysler had become. An Imperial badge on the ugly POS? Hardly anything to compare to the Imperials which came before, when cars were really cars. A 300 badge on a B-body? Nothing more than a warmed over Cordoba! Sacrilege! The actual tried and true Duster A-body as nothing more than a package on the new Volare? The Volare's rot if you wash them, have carb parts that dissolve in gasoline. Oh my god! An R/T badge on a car with a freakin' 318 2bbl! And what the hell is with the new Road Runner? Nothing more than a bunch of decals! How the mighty have fallen!

Of course, we still hear these criticisms today from guys with 340 Dusters, R/T's back when R/T meant nothing less under the hood than a 440, and Road Runners when Hemi's were options. Collectors markets, desirability, value, availability to parts tells us our machines aren't exactly classics, either. As I've maintained in the past, the F-body may one day soon be regarded as an inexpensive alternative to the A-'s and B-'s to break into the hobby with as the price of parts keeps climbing and the availability for quality used keeps dwindling, but the J-'s and the M-'s? Won't happen in my lifetime.

A few low production run cars might see an increase in interest... the Super Coupes, the Kit Cars, and even, to a lesser extent, the Sinatra editions, but after that? Not a lot. We have to have a certain love for these cars to be interested in them and that love hasn't spread beyond those of us who appreciate these cars. The intent is never to build classics, the intent was to build cars which sold.

As F/M/J body fans we stand on the fringe of the hobby. These cars are something which are starting to be recognized in the A-, B-, and E-, body circles to certain extent, but do you think anyone out there sitting on a '69 383/4 speed Road Runner is going to sell it to buy a '78 E58 car?

Let's not fool ourselves. The only thing that makes our cars classics is the age. They weren't instant classic when they were sitting on the dealership lots. They won't be grabbing the attention of high dollar collectors, they won't be catered to by the aftermarket for the same sheetmetal as we're seeing for the other body lines (F-body coupes notwithstanding), not when the popularity of lower cost A- and B-bodies is rising. In the meantime the aftermarket is making a killing going after that guys who own the new Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang. As a result you might see our cars being jumped over completely as vendors like AMD gear up to make quarters and doors for the newer cars when the factory no longer supports the newer cars with collision parts. It'll open up a whole new business for AMD and Goodmark, too, into collision parts.

As far as newer cars owners go... they don't even fit into the conversation. I won't buy new, when I can build old. The Hyundai is the absolute last car I will be making payments on. Sarah needed something newer for her job, something where everything worked, something with a lot less miles on it. I needed a break from having to work on her car all weekend so she could drive another thousand miles over the week. The White Brick ('87 5th Ave) she had was a nice car. But the money we put into it over the course of the year and a half she owned it was making the monthly payments on the Hyundai. In order to make the necessary repairs I never had the time or the money to get the A/C working and she sweated her ass of with that dark blue leather interior. I never had the time to fix the cruise control. I never had the time and the money to put a decent stereo system in. And she loved to blast the music and sing a long after a hard day at work. She struggled with the choke in cold weather. I'd have to crank the car for her first thing in the morning and give it initial warm up time.

Enter the Hyundai. Instant crank. Instant cooling. She no longer had to sweat her ass off. She could blast the stereo. She could set the cruise and keep from getting one speeding ticket after the other. I didn't have to work on it all weekend. I just changed the oil. She took pride in knowing that she could make that payment on something newer, never late. She took pride in knowing that was the first car she chose, on her own, without me or her dad making the decision for her.

And now... after her death... I have a car that gets 25 mpg with the cruise set at 72mph. I have a car that will climb to 125+ mph with the push of a throttle without having to build an engine. I have a car that I can climb into and make a 3800 mile tour of the East Coast visiting friends and relatives like I did after she passed. I have a car that will handle like it's on rails, without having to build the suspension to do so.

Yes, I take a lot of pride in saying that I don't have to buy new. I can take that '89 F150 sitting out in my driveway, and for way less than half the price of a new Hemi powered Ram, build it to walk circles, both in the mud and towing a trailer, around that new Hemi. I have the skill, the know how and the tools. Not everyone does. Some folks want something they can drive, now, something that looks good, now. Something still carrying a warranty on so they don't have to continue to dump money in. Will that generic run of the mill Dodge Dart be a classic? Who knows. Who cares? That generic run of the mill slant powered Volare sure isn't. Who cares? Drive what you like.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well Robert.....first off I'd like to say that all of your points are very well said and solid and valid. Of course I have to throw my two cents in now....

First of all we are talking about apples and oranges when it comes to the debate over new vs. old. We (being the F,M,J hobbyists) are obviously a different animal than your average "Joe/Joan" driver these days. Back when our cars were new most....not all but most had at least a basic idea of what maintenance was....you knew you needed to check your oil, coolant level and maybe the exceptionally adept would even pop the power steering pump to check the level there too. You weren't a mechanic but you read your owners manual and knew that there were things that you as the owner were expected to check and pay attention to. Those small things alone usually afforded you a level of driving reliability. Those days are gone..... I was waiting for the guy at the parts counter at my local crappy tire store when a guy in a suit ran up to the service counter in a panic because he had to make a drive up north but was afraid to because according to his maintenance schedule he needed to have his specified oil change. The guy behind the counter said he was booked for the day and couldn't do it till the following day. Overhearing all this I asked him if he'd checked the oil to see how bad it really was. His response was "How do you do that?" I said.....if you like I'll have a look for you.....he said that it had to be checked by someone qualified......the guy at the service counter knows me and said "He can check it.....he IS qualified. I went out and popped the hood on his brand spanking Mazda 3 and the oil level was topped up and looked like steeped tea so to speak.....it was fine. I assured him he could do his 500 mile round trip and all would be well.. And THAT is the difference. People no longer know anything about their cars which is why they're the way they are. No longer serviceable by the owner....mainly because the owner wouldn't know what to do anyway but also because the manufactures and dealerships know that they make a lot of money on service and maintenance. People don't want to know.....they just want to turn the key, blast the tunes and drive and when something goes wrong it's off to the dealership. Fair enough.....nothing wrong with that I guess....except that now we have a generation of drivers who like the lack of mechanical responsibility so they can concentrate their time on the shiny new GPS they just bought or figure out how to turn in their Bluetooth at 90 mph. Now they're talking about cars that park themselves. Seems fitting considering how far removed people have become from knowing how their car is actually functioning.
That's what people want?...that's what they have now. Myself? In my opinion.....yes my Fifth operates differently.....you have to warm it up instead of just starting and driving and the road feel is much different but that's what I enjoy about it. That's why I'm in the hobby and why I choose to drive these cars. It's not for everybody obviously. For the average person new cars are what they need. As far as reliability? As I've said many times....with regular maintenance my Fifth has yet to ever leave me stranded. It's easily one of the most reliable cars I've ever had.
Now as far as the "classic" angle.....I hear what you're saying about the time will tell factor. However it is undeniable that people are indeed paying more attention to the F bodies lately. I figure they see them as a less expensive alternative to get in on the classic car game. There's a Volare Duster on Hemmings right now selling for 21k. Whether the seller gets that.....who knows. But someone did bother to restore that car, put it on Hemmings and who knows....maybe he'll get some good coin for it. The M's...I agree....they're indeed a long shot. When it comes to the 80's "Flying Brick" design, people either love them or don't.....but the late 70's Dips, Caravelle's and LeBaron's do have undeniably cool body lines and have a definite cool factor to them. So who knows......I know I'm only one guy speaking here but I love them and think they're gorgeous cars. As you say.....time will dictate what becomes a classic along with the public opinion of said cars. One thing I feel is certain though is that a melted jelly bean cookie cutter car such as a hyundaiyota will never become anything more than landfill. Cars these days outside of maybe the New Challenger don't excite. They just get you from A to B. Which is all people seem to want nowadays. When our cars were made. One of the things that swayed you from one manufacturer to the next was the look and the styling. And if you're asking me.....Chrysler delivered. These days the only way to tell a car apart is to walk up to it to see what chrome plated plastic name is stuck to it.......as you said Robert......drive what you want.
I do.

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Well Robert.....first off I'd like to say that all of your points are very well said and solid and valid. Of course I have to throw my two cents in now....

First of all we are talking about apples and oranges when it comes to the debate over new vs. old. We (being the F,M,J hobbyists) are obviously a different animal than your average "Joe/Joan" driver these days. Back when our cars were new most....not all but most had at least a basic idea of what maintenance was....you knew you needed to check your oil, coolant level and maybe the exceptionally adept would even pop the power steering pump to check the level there too. You weren't a mechanic but you read your owners manual and knew that there were things that you as the owner were expected to check and pay attention to. Those small things alone usually afforded you a level of driving reliability. Those days are gone..... I was waiting for the guy at the parts counter at my local crappy tire store when a guy in a suit ran up to the service counter in a panic because he had to make a drive up north but was afraid to because according to his maintenance schedule he needed to have his specified oil change. The guy behind the counter said he was booked for the day and couldn't do it till the following day. Overhearing all this I asked him if he'd checked the oil to see how bad it really was. His response was "How do you do that?" I said.....if you like I'll have a look for you.....he said that it had to be checked by someone qualified......the guy at the service counter knows me and said "He can check it.....he IS qualified. I went out and popped the hood on his brand spanking Mazda 3 and the oil level was topped up and looked like steeped tea so to speak.....it was fine. I assured him he could do his 500 mile round trip and all would be well.. And THAT is the difference. People no longer know anything about their cars which is why they're the way they are. No longer serviceable by the owner....mainly because the owner wouldn't know what to do anyway but also because the manufactures and dealerships know that they make a lot of money on service and maintenance. People don't want to know.....they just want to turn the key, blast the tunes and drive and when something goes wrong it's off to the dealership. Fair enough.....nothing wrong with that I guess....except that now we have a generation of drivers who like the lack of mechanical responsibility so they can concentrate their time on the shiny new GPS they just bought or figure out how to turn in their Bluetooth at 90 mph. Now they're talking about cars that park themselves. Seems fitting considering how far removed people have become from knowing how their car is actually functioning.

Ed, don't fool yourself. These people have always existed. My old man worked as a gas attendant/mechanic back in the '50's. Wanna know why the full service stations offered full service? The owners of those cars knew about as much as the owners of the cars now. Sure, they knew how to operate a pull choke and shift through the gears, but routine maintenance and involved repairs always went to a qualified mechanic. Repair shops and dealership service stations have always been there.

I've been involved in cars - as a professional - for 25 years now. I've owned two shops. I've owned a restoration shop. I got the business on the restoration shop not because these cars were easy to work on, but because they weren't. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Trust me when I tell you the owners of these cars. even the owners who bought the cars new, had no clue as to how to fix 'em. I've had customers who are doctors. Hardly someone who's an idiot. Yet, just as I go to him, because he has more knowledge than I do when it comes to medicine, he knew enough to bring his car to someone who knows a lot more than he does mechanically.

Wanna know how the chain repair shop Midas got it's start? The founder was selling headers and exhaust, putting on performance aftermarket parts. That happened back in the '50's. Kinda tells you that those folks in the '50's didn't know how to add aftermarket parts, just as today. My old man cut his teeth building and hot rodding flatheads for guys who wanted to go fast, but had no idea how.

Those with a mechanical inclination have been able to do it themselves... yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Those without have always relied on those of us who do... yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Whereas some have an issue popping his or her hood and checking the oil, today, having no clue as to what he or she is looking at I can tell you I know just as many who drove cars back in the '50's, '60's, '70's, and '80's who couldn't pop a hood on the older cars and tell you where the carb is... or where the master cylinder is or even where the dipstick is. And these were the kind of cars those folks drove when they first learned how to drive.

So, do we romanticize the past and think these were simpler or do we accept the fact that those things may have been simple for some and not for others? A matter of ignorance and intelligence happens to be what question is asked of you at any given time and what the subject matter is. I actually find the OBD systems to be extremely easy to diagnose and work on. Yet, obviously, there are those here who don't think so and consider the computer to be... voodoo. There are technicians in today's shops who look at a carb and have no clue. Is he more intelligent than you because he grasps new technology? Are you smarter than him for being able to tear apart and rebuild a carb? Or is it the idea that both have a mindset geared towards specific areas?

I don't fault anyone for not being to check his or her own oil. Some have a blind spot for anything mechanical, yet have abilities I don't have and can't grasp simply because my talents don't lie in that area. Instead that person relies more on me, just as I rely more on those with more specific knowledge in areas I don't.

Captain Caravelle said:
That's what people want?...that's what they have now. Myself? In my opinion.....yes my Fifth operates differently.....you have to warm it up instead of just starting and driving and the road feel is much different but that's what I enjoy about it. That's why I'm in the hobby and why I choose to drive these cars. It's not for everybody obviously. For the average person new cars are what they need. As far as reliability? As I've said many times....with regular maintenance my Fifth has yet to ever leave me stranded. It's easily one of the most reliable cars I've ever had.

Sarah's 5th never left her stranded, either. A lot of that was because I worked on it so much. In order for her to do her job I spent a lot of time under the hood. If an issue arose I was on top of it. But issues arose. Like I pointed out, service stations - whether it has been at the dealership, independents, chain stores, what have you - have existed for as long as someone has owned a car. Mechanical things break. They have a finite lifespan. To think that those repair shops didn't exist before the advent of computers on cars, that everyone was a shadetree, again, is to romanticize the past. We in the hobby, who do our own work because it's "easy" have a tendency to forget that it's not so easy. We have a guy on here now who's having a driveability issue. He can't figure it out. Is it because the car is easy to work on, or because the owner doesn't have quite the grasp of the operation of certain components that some of us take for granted?

I'll agree with you, that I have little to no use for all the electronic features on today's cars. Just as, now, I don't have a need for a smartphone. I can make a phone call with a dumb phone and actually make calls. Although I find texting to be somewhat easier. You can carry on the same conversation for days. But someone like a traveling salesman? A real agent? He or she is going to find the GPS and bluetooth capability fits in well with his lifestyle of constantly being on the go.

One of the things we have to remember is that Americans (and Canadians, too, to a certain extent) are lazy and unable to concentrate on the task at hand. The task at hand being driving. You spend eight (or more) hours at work and then get in your car and start thinking about everything else. Well, that "everything else" at this moment, is driving and it's your task at hand. Your task at hand isn't talking on the phone, it's not surfing the internet, it's driving. Concentrate on the task at hand. Want to decrease traffic fatalities? Quite building "safer" cars and start building safer drivers.

As a matter of fact, I'd hazard to guess that those of us with the older cars are safer drivers, not because we're trying to protect our pride and joys, but because we don't have the offsetting mentality of what a "safer" car is. I really don't care if someone can check his or her oil, what I care about is educating the consumer into knowing the fact that ABS doesn't shorten your braking distance, it only allows you to be able to maintain control in braking in slippery conditions. If some of these assholes who like to tailgate me now were to have to drive the '54 Ford, with it's manual drum brakes and a single reservoir master cylinder they'd understand that tailgating is an absolute no-no. Blow a line on a single reservoir system and watch how quickly you stop.

ramenth

Reaction score
Captain Caravelle said:
Now as far as the "classic" angle.....I hear what you're saying about the time will tell factor. However it is undeniable that people are indeed paying more attention to the F bodies lately. I figure they see them as a less expensive alternative to get in on the classic car game. There's a Volare Duster on Hemmings right now selling for 21k. Whether the seller gets that.....who knows. But someone did bother to restore that car, put it on Hemmings and who knows....maybe he'll get some good coin for it. The M's...I agree....they're indeed a long shot. When it comes to the 80's "Flying Brick" design, people either love them or don't.....but the late 70's Dips, Caravelle's and LeBaron's do have undeniably cool body lines and have a definite cool factor to them. So who knows......I know I'm only one guy speaking here but I love them and think they're gorgeous cars. As you say.....time will dictate what becomes a classic along with the public opinion of said cars. One thing I feel is certain though is that a melted jelly bean cookie cutter car such as a hyundaiyota will never become anything more than landfill. Cars these days outside of maybe the New Challenger don't excite. They just get you from A to B. Which is all people seem to want nowadays. When our cars were made. One of the things that swayed you from one manufacturer to the next was the look and the styling. And if you're asking me.....Chrysler delivered. These days the only way to tell a car apart is to walk up to it to see what chrome plated plastic name is stuck to it.......as you said Robert......drive what you want.
I do.

Yes, time will tell what becomes a classic. Will it be Hondas? To certain extent there will always be those who have a fondness for the past. Today's gearheads, for better of for worse, are putting big wheels, fart can mufflers, and what else all over the cars and having fun driving them. It's not that much different than yesterday. Buy a big block car, put aftermarket wheels on it, loud mufflers, and what have you... Will the kids now, be searching out and "restoring" cars they remember having driven as kids? That seems to be what's happening now. Will the aftermarket support today's car in the future? If there's a demand - yes.

Chrysler certain didn't set out to make a classic market with the 426 Hemi, It happened because not many people wanted to pop down for the $800 option. Doesn't seem like a lot of money now, but back then $800 was a lot. Chrysler would have been happy to sell every car they made with $800 upgrade, knowing it meant more money in their coffers. It didn't turn out that way and today we have a collectors market.

It exists today with limited production runs. GT500's, SRT's, SS's. The factory's know there's a niche market and willing to cater to it. Will they be tomorrow's classics? Who knows? Only time will tell. Guaranteed no one in the factory was thinking - or caring - that the Super Coupe would one day be sought after. It was a niche car for a niche market. That's the fun about being in the hobby, though.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes, time will tell what becomes a classic. Will it be Hondas? To certain extent there will always be those who have a fondness for the past. Today's gearheads, for better of for worse, are putting big wheels, fart can mufflers, and what else all over the cars and having fun driving them. It's not that much different than yesterday. Buy a big block car, put aftermarket wheels on it, loud mufflers, and what have you... Will the kids now, be searching out and "restoring" cars they remember having driven as kids? That seems to be what's happening now. Will the aftermarket support today's car in the future? If there's a demand - yes.

Chrysler certain didn't set out to make a classic market with the 426 Hemi, It happened because not many people wanted to pop down for the $800 option. Doesn't seem like a lot of money now, but back then $800 was a lot. Chrysler would have been happy to sell every car they made with $800 upgrade, knowing it meant more money in their coffers. It didn't turn out that way and today we have a collectors market.

It exists today with limited production runs. GT500's, SRT's, SS's. The factory's know there's a niche market and willing to cater to it. Will they be tomorrow's classics? Who knows? Only time will tell. Guaranteed no one in the factory was thinking - or caring - that the Super Coupe would one day be sought after. It was a niche car for a niche market. That's the fun about being in the hobby, though.

That's about it isn't it?
Pick your poison and go with it.....
When you think about it.....just the haphazard randomness of it is like a really cool show to watch......you just never know which way it's going to go.
Either way.....it really is a great hobby isn't it?

ramenth

Reaction score
That's about it isn't it?
Pick your poison and go with it.....
When you think about it.....just the haphazard randomness of it is like a really cool show to watch......you just never know which way it's going to go.
Either way.....it really is a great hobby isn't it?

Ain't that the truth. And that's the thing about this hobby. Some guys like us, love the F-'s, M-'s, and J-'s. Some guys don't. Some guys get off on '57 Chevies (and screamin' guitars), some guys don't. Some guys like their Fords, some guys don't. Who's right who's wrong? No one is. It's a preference and as such, ever evolving.

For my preference I like my M-bodies. I always have, always will. I could care less if they're ever considered desirable by the rest of the hobby. I like my B-'s and I like my E- and I damn sure love my trucks.

Is that where your tastes lie? Maybe, maybe not. Who am I to tell you what you should like and what you shouldn't? To me, that's one of the problems with the hobby. Too many people telling each other what he or she should and shouldn't like. Just sit back and appreciate we all have a taste for preserving and enjoying the automotive past and look forward to watching the future unfold.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. And that's the thing about this hobby. Some guys like us, love the F-'s, M-'s, and J-'s. Some guys don't. Some guys get off on '57 Chevies (and screamin' guitars), some guys don't. Some guys like their Fords, some guys don't. Who's right who's wrong? No one is. It's a preference and as such, ever evolving.

For my preference I like my M-bodies. I always have, always will. I could care less if they're ever considered desirable by the rest of the hobby. I like my B-'s and I like my E- and I damn sure love my trucks.

Is that where your tastes lie? Maybe, maybe not. Who am I to tell you what you should like and what you shouldn't? To me, that's one of the problems with the hobby. Too many people telling each other what he or she should and shouldn't like. Just sit back and appreciate we all have a taste for preserving and enjoying the automotive past and look forward to watching the future unfold.

I'm an M guy myself too....but I also have an F which I also love for it's styling, quirks and all the things about it. Actually I'm a nut over anything Mopar pretty much.
That being said....as much as I crack off about Ford and Chevy I have two best buddy's.....one is die hard Ford, the other GM. We give each other the gears about our preferences but were the first guys to help each other and fully respect each others cars and work.
Ultimately....it IS a hobby....a hobby of blood sweat and sometimes tears but what it really is, is a chance for like minded enthusiasts to share in a common passion. Because of this hobby I've met a lot of really good people who enjoy their cars every bit as much as I do. I respect that. Sure we give each other the gears sometimes but deep down we're all in it together and the camaraderie of that is what truly keeps this hobby alive in many ways.

My imp

Reaction score
So many well thought out points. Many of us drive these cars because we want to, not because we have to. I could walk into almost any dealership (excluding Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.), & sign on the dotted line, & drive away with the latest & greatest. Anything that would give me substantially more than the Imp already gives me, probably resides in one of those dealerships I COULDN'T walk into, & sign on the dotted line. Honestly, nothing really quickens my pulse, or peaks my curiosity. One thing I remember from picking out cars with my Dad, was YOU got to decide which options you wanted on your car. Now, all you have is stripped, loaded, or a choice of 3 or 4 option packages, with nothing in between. You get charged for item delete? If it comes in package 1, & you don't want one item, it costs you leave it off the car? Talk about screwed if you do, or if you don't! I like leather. But in order to get leather, I need anti- lock brakes, traction control, yaw control, magna-helic boffo-socko suspension with or w/o ten cup holders. I agree about the older being safer drivers part. We learned how to drive with a clutch, manual choke, w/o anti-lock, traction control, or the rest of the alphabet. Should any of these systems fail, we can safely get the thing home. Imagine an18 yr old on an icy road have their anti-locks go out. Then a panic stop situation arises! Yikes! Try to find a dumb phone! My wife's nephew used to work for Verizon. From what he says, they're phasing out dumb phones. All I want is a phone that transmits & receives well, & a phone that takes excellent photos. No data package, 500 apps, etc.. Good luck with that! I didn't even want to text! But it seems that the younger generation doesn't answer phone calls. But text them & get an immediate response? My last phone had the buttons on a seperate pad for texting. I could feel where my fingers were. This new POS is all screen. I have to watch every lettering type now. And you BETTER proof read what you type! My wife wanted to know why I was going to "kick her puppy" when she got home! We don't have a puppy! lol

NoCar340

Reaction score
I don't think of cars as a hobby, but more of a lifestyle. I don't want all the crap on newer cars, and I surely don't want anything "fly by wire". I'll keep a solid link between pedal and intended purpose, thanks, and sorry if I've had too much experience with computers over the years to trust my steering to a stepper motor controlled by computer via a glorified PWM rheostat. My EFI setup is a quantum leap forward for me, and even then if I'm not happy with it I can get pretty darn close on my tuning should I revert to a carburetor and distributor.

My imp

Reaction score
As technology progressed, so did my tool collection. There's no argument that EFI will run circles around a carb. Computer controls as well. That's Big Brother telling the industry how to build cars. While I agree that it's a responsible thing to do for the planet, it's not quite so black & white. You need to figure in all factors for the economy of a vehicle. How much fuel, energy, resources, etc.. are expended just getting the raw materials, shipping them to various factories, all manufacturing processes, assembly, delivery, & THEN you start to figure in the economy. There is more to be gained by changing our driving habits, then changing our rides. Technology is a wonderful thing, until it breaks. Wanna figure out the difference in price between a broken throttle cable vs. a broken electronic throttle pedal? An older all mechanical automatic trans vs. an electronic trans? All the normal wear & tear parts + all the electronics? Have your ABS module vs. your master cylinder go bad strictly from not changing fluid. The manufacturers that won't warranty porosity in engine blocks, because you didn't add DCA additive. What is so different with the metallurgy now vs. then? Blocks are lighter, vehicles are compromised now. See what a new Challenger weighs? They have to save weight in some areas so they can put more infotainment centers, blue tooth, ABS, TCC, EFI, & the rest of the alphabet, so, as it was so aptly put, lazy people can let the car drive for them. This way, when something goes wrong, they always have someone, other than themselves to blame. They forget that the OBDII can be downloaded & taken in to court. For or against them. My wife has the lightest touch on a throttle of just about anyone I know. She always gets considerably better economy than I ever can, even driving the same car. She'll set her cruise, & just drive like she hasn't a care in the world. If someone in front of her is going slower, she'll lower her speed, rather than pass. Unless she's in a hurry. Then, she leisurely passes, goes back on cruise, & boom! Usually 4 or more mpg than I get.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ed, don't fool yourself. These people have always existed. My old man worked as a gas attendant/mechanic back in the '50's. Wanna know why the full service stations offered full service? The owners of those cars knew about as much as the owners of the cars now. Sure, they knew how to operate a pull choke and shift through the gears, but routine maintenance and involved repairs always went to a qualified mechanic. Repair shops and dealership service stations have always been there.

I've been involved in cars - as a professional - for 25 years now. I've owned two shops. I've owned a restoration shop. I got the business on the restoration shop not because these cars were easy to work on, but because they weren't. If it was easy, anyone could do it. Trust me when I tell you the owners of these cars. even the owners who bought the cars new, had no clue as to how to fix 'em. I've had customers who are doctors. Hardly someone who's an idiot. Yet, just as I go to him, because he has more knowledge than I do when it comes to medicine, he knew enough to bring his car to someone who knows a lot more than he does mechanically.

Wanna know how the chain repair shop Midas got it's start? The founder was selling headers and exhaust, putting on performance aftermarket parts. That happened back in the '50's. Kinda tells you that those folks in the '50's didn't know how to add aftermarket parts, just as today. My old man cut his teeth building and hot rodding flatheads for guys who wanted to go fast, but had no idea how.

Those with a mechanical inclination have been able to do it themselves... yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Those without have always relied on those of us who do... yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Whereas some have an issue popping his or her hood and checking the oil, today, having no clue as to what he or she is looking at I can tell you I know just as many who drove cars back in the '50's, '60's, '70's, and '80's who couldn't pop a hood on the older cars and tell you where the carb is... or where the master cylinder is or even where the dipstick is. And these were the kind of cars those folks drove when they first learned how to drive.

So, do we romanticize the past and think these were simpler or do we accept the fact that those things may have been simple for some and not for others? A matter of ignorance and intelligence happens to be what question is asked of you at any given time and what the subject matter is. I actually find the OBD systems to be extremely easy to diagnose and work on. Yet, obviously, there are those here who don't think so and consider the computer to be... voodoo. There are technicians in today's shops who look at a carb and have no clue. Is he more intelligent than you because he grasps new technology? Are you smarter than him for being able to tear apart and rebuild a carb? Or is it the idea that both have a mindset geared towards specific areas?

I don't fault anyone for not being to check his or her own oil. Some have a blind spot for anything mechanical, yet have abilities I don't have and can't grasp simply because my talents don't lie in that area. Instead that person relies more on me, just as I rely more on those with more specific knowledge in areas I don't.

Sarah's 5th never left her stranded, either. A lot of that was because I worked on it so much. In order for her to do her job I spent a lot of time under the hood. If an issue arose I was on top of it. But issues arose. Like I pointed out, service stations - whether it has been at the dealership, independents, chain stores, what have you - have existed for as long as someone has owned a car. Mechanical things break. They have a finite lifespan. To think that those repair shops didn't exist before the advent of computers on cars, that everyone was a shadetree, again, is to romanticize the past. We in the hobby, who do our own work because it's "easy" have a tendency to forget that it's not so easy. We have a guy on here now who's having a driveability issue. He can't figure it out. Is it because the car is easy to work on, or because the owner doesn't have quite the grasp of the operation of certain components that some of us take for granted?

I'll agree with you, that I have little to no use for all the electronic features on today's cars. Just as, now, I don't have a need for a smartphone. I can make a phone call with a dumb phone and actually make calls. Although I find texting to be somewhat easier. You can carry on the same conversation for days. But someone like a traveling salesman? A real agent? He or she is going to find the GPS and bluetooth capability fits in well with his lifestyle of constantly being on the go.

One of the things we have to remember is that Americans (and Canadians, too, to a certain extent) are lazy and unable to concentrate on the task at hand. The task at hand being driving. You spend eight (or more) hours at work and then get in your car and start thinking about everything else. Well, that "everything else" at this moment, is driving and it's your task at hand. Your task at hand isn't talking on the phone, it's not surfing the internet, it's driving. Concentrate on the task at hand. Want to decrease traffic fatalities? Quite building "safer" cars and start building safer drivers.

As a matter of fact, I'd hazard to guess that those of us with the older cars are safer drivers, not because we're trying to protect our pride and joys, but because we don't have the offsetting mentality of what a "safer" car is. I really don't care if someone can check his or her oil, what I care about is educating the consumer into knowing the fact that ABS doesn't shorten your braking distance, it only allows you to be able to maintain control in braking in slippery conditions. If some of these assholes who like to tailgate me now were to have to drive the '54 Ford, with it's manual drum brakes and a single reservoir master cylinder they'd understand that tailgating is an absolute no-no. Blow a line on a single reservoir system and watch how quickly you stop.

Holy crap Robert....I just saw this part now....
Well.....you got me..perusing through the beer rusted canyons of my mind I recalled how as a kid there were indeed many of my Dad's friends who had absolutely no clue when it came to their cars. I also thought about my rationale when it came to me thinking that people knew more back then. But then you tied it all together. You see my perception of things is/was that people knew more about their cars but I guess what I really mean is they were more "aware" of their cars. Like you said about your Ford...you don't tailgate in a big heavy car like that. Hell I don't tailgate in my Fifth. That thing don't exactly stop on a dime. Which ties into what you said about drivers today. The SUV's they're driving are heavy and although they're better at stopping there's still physics to be considered which they don't seem to.
But I guess that was the thinking behind what I was saying about people knowing more back then.....maybe not mechanically but better at not being a tailgating idiot....because you didn't want to do that in a 75 Fury.
Don't get me wrong.....idiot drivers have spanned history....but maybe you see my point????

Regardless....I technically stand corrected Sir. :icon_pidu:

Back