Off season Aspen projects have begun

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Ahh...I feel your pain!

I had someone craft me a nice aluminum tray for my Shift-Light Tach and Vac gauges, which in turn is attached to the metal part of the dash. Anyways, the aluminum tray is contoured so that it doesn't look all that out of place (as far as that's possible with a giant tach sitting right there LOL).

Anyways, I thought I was absolutely putting together the next best thing to sliced bread...until after I assembled it all, finally got the car running and started to hear this tiny little "eek eek" squeak!

Well, as my luck would have it the placement of the tray is such that it lightly presses against the dash vinyl, heck, really almost no touch...BUT...with the exception of a tiny little section!!!

That's where the damn noise is coming from...and ever since I've been trying to figure out how to quiet the darn thing...don't quite want to put oil there b/c I worry that it'll end up weeping whatever I toss on there onto the rest of the dash finish...you know that "wet" spot that just seem to grow on it's own!

2022-01-25_17-13-02.png

2022-01-25_17-13-13.png

2022-01-25_17-13-23.png

2022-01-25_17-14-15.png

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with using an electric oil pressure gauge?
Less chance of leakage.

By chance, did you make note of "blueprint"? I wouldn't mind making something like that.
BudW

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Nice!

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with using an electric oil pressure gauge?
Less chance of leakage.

By chance, did you make note of "blueprint"? I wouldn't mind making something like that.
BudW
Thanks BudW!

Umm...electric pressure gauges...nothing wrong I suppose, but I just mentally like having that 'direct' connection I suppose. Besides, never a reason to second guess a reading.

The dash tray has a VAC gauge, the oil pressure and water temp I have sitting just under the dasg cigarette tray, they are housed in a little swivel pod that allows me to move them side and side and up and down.

I will look for that templates...I am fairly certain I did put it away, but man, it's been like 15 years I think! LOL

Here is a pic...(sorry Aspen500 to barge in on your Project thread like that, I meant well...):

mech_gauges.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here is a pic...(sorry Aspen500 to barge in on your Project thread like that, I meant well...):
No worries!

One of the worst things to see on an R/O at work is "check for rattle in dash" or "creak from rf door", "Noise from dash area when below freezing", etc..................

I don't have a tach, just the stock cluster, with an A/F gauge under the dash, next to the console (perfect spot for easy viewing, lol) and a digital oil pressure gauge in spot for the clock so, the car doesn't have a clock anymore. Usually when I'm driving the Aspen, the time isn't a concern. Oil pressure is MUCH more important. If only they made an A/F gauge with blue LED's instead of only red.

DSC00434.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...I don't have a tach, just the stock cluster, with an A/F gauge under the dash, next to the console (perfect spot for easy viewing, lol) and a digital oil pressure gauge in spot for the clock so, the car doesn't have a clock anymore...
That's an impressive blending job in getting the digital stuff nestled into the dash...looks like it belongs right in that spot!

Duke5A

Reaction score
I will look for that templates...I am fairly certain I did put it away, but man, it's been like 15 years I think! LOL
Ummm, yeah...you gave that to me a long ass time ago to copy. :p I still have it, just haven't seen you to give it back. lol.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thank you Duke. Most of the interior has been sprayed with either white or black SEM vinyl paint to freshen it up. The white was more of a yellow, and the a lot of the black was kind of scruffy looking. The dash pad is untouched though. Had the front seats reupholstered about 5 years ago, and he did an awesome job, and charged accordingly, lol. Was about $1,500 for both front seats (ouch). His shop is a one man operation so it did take about 4 months but was worth the wait. Things like the cluster bezel were done with Eastwood cast iron gray and their "chrome" paint system and an air brush, along with the edges of the vent louvers. Masking was, well,,,,,,tedious! Covered the headliner with white attached foam headliner material, along with the rear deck panel, new carpet of course, along with the last 2 remaining NOS door sill plates that were in captivity.

Downfalls are the warped, somewhat crumbly 1/4 trim panels and the very crumbly seat back panels. The a-pillar trim is so-so also (warped).

Justwondering

Reaction score
You know Aspen...
When your lady gets a compliment you shouldn't say thankyou and then point out all her warts.
Your Aspen told me to tell you she was upset about that.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
You know Aspen...
When your lady gets a compliment you shouldn't say thankyou and then point out all her warts.
Your Aspen told me to tell you she was upset about that.

JW
LOL! My car understands. It's not a lady, it's a guy because it's got, well,,,,,,,,,,,you know. ;) When it comes to my lady, there are no warts that could be pointed out. :cool:

Duke5A

Reaction score
Damn...no shit!

Alright, I'll trade ya that tamplate for the one valve spring of yours I still have here!!!

LMFAO. I forgot about that! Thing is, I don't think I have the other 15 anymore! Dumped all of my small block parts a few years ago. Either way, we need to get together. Been too long.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It appears I found my Energy Suspension front sway bar poly kit(!) in theory at of all places, Rock Auto. Showed "only 1 remaining", and I've heard that before when it was actually zero but,,,,,,,,,,,ordered it anyways. Just got an email that it's ready to ship so, we'll see. Still no luck with poly shackle bushings though. At least I'm making progress. Just had tendon surgery on my right hand again Jan 27th (round 2) so won't be able to put them in for probably 6 weeks yet, but at least they'll be here.

Better late than never, thanks M-body. I used the case of an old clock and mounted the digital gauge in it, and modified the clock mounting tabs to attach the whole works to the dash carrier. Used the clock wiring for the gauge using the original terminal and connectors. Even worked out that the clock light wire works to signal the gauge electronics to dim when the lights are on at night.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Never knew FedEx delivered on Sunday (do now) but, the poly sway bar kit came today from Rock Auto. Looks to be all the correct parts for an F-body.

Proof it happened photo:

DSC00690.JPG

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
No progress on "off season projects" yet. Maybe another 2 or 3 weeks and I'll actually be able to use my right hand again, and then can get the sway bar bushing kit installed. It's only been 2 surgeries and 4 months so far for this friggin' severed tendon. All from a not even that hard bump to the back of my hand, in EXACTLY the wrong spot.

Doing poly shackle bushings is a moot point right now since they're still not available. Latest now is MAYBE May 31st. Come on, WTF??????????????????????????????????? :mad:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Your bushings are on that slow boat from China sitting in the LA port bay...

Aspen500

Reaction score
Now it says estimated ship date 06.06.22 for the shackle bushings. So I said screw it and ordered a leaf spring bushing kit instead. Far as I can tell, the front eye's on my springs are the same as the '68-'72 B-body the kit is for (2"). Wasn't planning on changing the eye bushings but probably wouldn't hurt to do them as well. Since the spring pads are already poly, the circle will be complete. Besides, the shackle bushing are Prothane brand and NOT made in USA. The spring poly kit is Energy Suspension and IS made in USA, plus it's actually in stock. They show no listing for Energy shackle bushings separately. There, done, problem solved. While I was on Summit, finally broke down and ordered a creeper also . Enough sliding in and out from under the car on the floor. Getting too old for that crap anymore.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got the front sway bar bushings installed and started on the rear. Right side shackle and bracket ready to go back together and then it's off to the other side.

DSC00695.JPG

DSC00697.JPG

DSC00698.JPG

DSC00700.JPG

Back