Off season Aspen projects have begun

old yellow 78

Reaction score
the carpet yardage for other parts of the trunk should be here today according to FedEx.
Do you have any suggestions for carpet source? I am still undecided about how to go about getting carpet for the four door stick shift wagon, and what source to use. Thanks.

80mirada

Reaction score
Stupid Legendary, I won't start ranting on them, but they can piss off. Last I knew there is a coupe 4spd carpet available from some where, but I don't think there is a four door one. Might be able to get a four door rear carpet and cut the coupe 4spd one down and put them together.

www.stockinteriors.com has the 4spd carpet for coupes

lowbudget

Reaction score
I have the vinyl and an A body split bench I'm going to recover for my Aspen beater....if I can ever find the time.....Then I will have to do the back seat to match. You know so the OCD thing doesn't kick in lol. Let me know if you find a good carpet source as my 78 Wagon will need it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
80Mirada,,,,,,,,,I agree with you &100% on that statement.

I've heard some buy the 4 speed coupe carpet and the 4-door auto carpet and put a seam under the front seats, like Mirada mentioned. Isn't the 4-door a 2 piece carpet anyways???

I got carpet yardage, headliner material, etc... from Automotive Interiors. Their shipping charges are kind of high but have gotten material from them a few times and never any problems or complaints.
Automotive Interiors & Accessories for cars, trucks, vans, & suvs

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the 4-door a 2 piece carpet anyways???
I have seen them both ways (one piece and two piece).

Almost all of the newer M-bodies (’82 up?), that I’ve seen are two piece (note: not sure of the year).
There is a 1” to 2” seam overlap midway under driver’s seat.

Most, if not all, of the older F & M bodies used 1 piece carpets (like what my ’77 wagon uses).
I wonder if they changed due to “fitment problems” on assembly line, maybe?
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I've heard some buy the 4 speed coupe carpet and the 4-door auto carpet and put a seam under the front seats
Yes, I'm pretty much resigned to having to do that. I've looked at several carpet sites, most selling ACC carpet (which is what I would want) and none of them have four door, four speed carpet. I just seem to be having trouble pulling the trigger on buying TWO carpets for one car - mainly a cost issue, particularly because I would want the mass backing and perhaps the thicker carpet. It adds up.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
There is a 1” to 2” seam overlap midway under driver’s seat.
Thanks for the info, I haven't seen any of the two piece carpets in any FMJ's, but I rarely ever see any J's particularly. Really too bad that I have to replace it at all, because the carpet isn't worn, and not terribly faded, but the old woman who bought it new had a bad cigarette habit and terrible ashtray aim - result: burned holes all over carpet and front seat. Argh!!
Late July 2015 009.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
If you get a good match you could just reuse your rear section
True, and thanks for the suggestion. The back isn't bad, really just some fading around where there were floor mats at one time, but... unless it was a really good match, it would annoy me. I have the same problem with OCD as Lowbudget noted above. However, it is something I should consider.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Be sure to post what you did.
My '77 wagon has two small cigarette burns in seat (which can be hidden by seat belt).
My carpet is “OK”, but I do have plans on replacing it (its showing 40 years if use) and, well, kinda smells like cigarettes.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You shoud never EVER smoke in your vehicle (or house for that matter). I smoke but only outside, never in any vehicle, the house or even the garage. Should never eat in your vehicle either (IMO).

I know '79 coupes are one piece carpet. It's been so long since I've seen a 4 door, can't say for sure.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You shoud never EVER smoke in your vehicle
I agree.

It wasn’t due to smoking but those small firecrackers that burnt my ’68 Charger down (or was it up?).
A small flame and (then) 30 year old carpet and POOF, it was gone. I had my windows cracked about ½” and kids with nothing to do during a 4th of July weekend (US holiday).

I consider carpet to be a large air filter that traps “stuff”.

Now I am guilty of eating inside of a car (while parked) . . .

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I haven't seen any of the two piece carpets in any FMJ's, but I rarely ever see any J's particularly. Really too bad that I have to replace it at all, because the carpet isn't worn, and not terribly faded, but the old woman who bought it new had a bad cigarette habit and terrible ashtray aim - result: burned holes all over carpet and front seat. Argh!!View attachment 18856

That is too bad, looks nasty. Are you sure that all of them are burns? I had a similar bunch of what I thought were burns in the 1980 Cordoba that I bought. Resigned myself to gettting a new carpet. I did start to clean up the rest of the interior using a really good, but inexpensive cleaner. It was one of the type that needed to be diluted to be used, and had a bunch of dilution ratios; 10:1 for upholstery, 5:1 for carpet, etc. It cleaned up the upholstery pretty good, as well as the door panels. I decided to try it at the 5:1 on the carpet, figuring to get it as good as possible until I could get it replaced. Turns out the burns were actually dirt/grease spots, and came out entirely. I am not saying that you can get all of your burns out, as it looks like you have the same burns on your seat, but you can try to clean them anyway, and make them little less visible.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
That is too bad, looks nasty. Are you sure that all of them are burns? I had a similar bunch of what I thought were burns in the 1980 Cordoba that I bought. Resigned myself to gettting a new carpet. I did start to clean up the rest of the interior using a really good, but inexpensive cleaner. It was one of the type that needed to be diluted to be used, and had a bunch of dilution ratios; 10:1 for upholstery, 5:1 for carpet, etc. It cleaned up the upholstery pretty good, as well as the door panels. I decided to try it at the 5:1 on the carpet, figuring to get it as good as possible until I could get it replaced. Turns out the burns were actually dirt/grease spots, and came out entirely. I am not saying that you can get all of your burns out, as it looks like you have the same burns on your seat, but you can try to clean them anyway, and make them little less visible.
I've used that cleaner that needs to be diluted - it worked really well and was very easy! I think it was Carbona or something like that. They are definitely burn holes in my carpet, so no amount of cleaner will take care of that. However, I have thought of trying to snip out the burned areas and glue "plugs" of good carpet in their place. I could get the "good carpet" from the edges under the back seat, etc. Then, I could dye the entire carpet to freshen it up.... or, I could just spend the money and buy new. Certainly would be easier and faster. The seat doesn't matter to me because I have really nice plaid 60/40's and the plaid door panels to replace all that with. Time to do all this is what I don't have. I have been waiting to replace the interior of OY for a year and a half now. I work full time and when I am not doing that, I am completely rehabbing a house that I want to sell. Always working, no time for fun. Very frustrating.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I read, or saw, somewhere that you can cut the "fuzz" from some good carpet under the seat or sill plate and glue it to the burn spots to hide them, rather than actually cut the carpet all the way through. I believe they used some sort of paint pen first to make the black spots more the color of the carpet before gluing the fuzz down.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
That's a good idea, and likely less difficult too. I'd like to try it to see if it would work, but I'll probably just wind up buying the one or two new carpets instead. Then, I also have been thinking more about getting OY painted, and I was thinking that it might be a better idea to wait until the body and paint work is done before putting the interior in. I keep going back and forth between doing it up the way I really want to, and just making do. For sure, nothing is going to happen until at least Spring, but I do like to think about it. In the meantime, I have to finish laying tile in the foyer, and put new oak treads on the stairs in the house along with a new railing and banister. Then it's on to putting up crown molding, painting, refinishing the floors, etc, etc. Hoping to be able to put it on the market in the Summer...with some luck and a LOT of work left to do.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Got the tail lamp finish panel about 90% done. About time, right? lol
Going to make a bezel for the latch opening yet to make it look more finished, rather than the material folded around the edge.
The camera flash makes it look gray but it really is black, just like the carpet. Foam backed headliner material. Came out pretty darn good. Not professional perfect but it was priced accordingly at roughly $20 for materials and labor. Since I didn't charge myself for labor.........................:D
DSCF0006.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
It took awhile but got the latch bezel done and the tail lamp finish panel installed. It turned out decent, far from perfect, but decent. I can live with it,,,,,,,,,,,for now.;) It's tin plated using an Eastwood zinc/tin electroplating kit, then buffed as well as possible, followed by Diamond Clear so it won't flash rust.

Was going to wait for warmer weather. I don't want to use the buffing wheel in the garage. When I did the window trim, I cleaned fuzz and strings up for days. It got EVERYWHERE. Couldn't wait so I drug the buffing motor outdoors. My fingers are still numb (it's overcast and 20 degrees) but you have to do what you have to do, yes?:eek:

The front seats are still up at the upholstery dude. Probably a couple weeks yet until they're done. Think I'll try and call tomorrow for an update.
DSC00032.JPG

Back