paint basics

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Now for the crazy;

I read somewhere a long time ago a used a roller on his Charger. I admit . That was crazy. Claimed that he thinned the paint alot. Has anyone ever heard of this technic ?

barbee6043

Reaction score
I used a roller to paint the out house years ago. IT looked good for a chit house!!
Mom called it putting lipstick on a hog's face!?????????????????????//

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I watched a video on YouTube once actually the beginning, middle and end of this guy painting his car with a roller and sanding it and buffing it.
I was using Alcaide enamel with a hardener then sanding it with 1200 grit paper before buffing. Alcaide enamel is a cheap alternative to automotive paint and is used on tractors. It works great for engines over an epoxy primer or even bare metal. If I was going to try this on something I cared about I would use a industrial urethane I'm positive the manufacturer would have instructions on how to use the product and get great results.

barbee6043

Reaction score
Question: I use Rustoleum enamel on my floors after they are cleaned, treated with Ospho, and neutralized. It is great for such, but so thick and slow to dry. I assume a little acetone would help it cure faster and still be just as tough??

Camtron

Reaction score
Now for the crazy;

I read somewhere a long time ago a used a roller on his Charger. I admit . That was crazy. Claimed that he thinned the paint alot. Has anyone ever heard of this technic ?
Nope. I’ve painted Ground Service Equipment at O'Hare International with enamel and rollers before...Looks good from far and far from good lol

Camtron

Reaction score
The first shop I worked at had a sign saying “fair price, fast service, quality parts. Pick two with your service.”

XfbodyX

Reaction score
My one ton dually has a diamond plate flat bed on it, the org paint was crap and I simply took a wire wheel and buzzed it clean and then used rustoleum black by brush and it layed out perfect by time it dried. This was eight years ago and I haul wood, grain, motors, brush and its still in great shape today although I live where there is little humidity and it does sit inside most the time.

But for the time and low cost I dont know how I could be more pleased.

Let me look for a few pics.

Never mind the twisted axle parts in the pics but the oem junk paint was flaking off and wanted to fade to blue. The last pic was about a year ago and the RO has lasted great, I do put down a piece of plywood for motors or anything that will deep scratch or scuff things.

DSC03530.JPG

DSC03523.JPG

DSC03801.JPG

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
That looks great!
I have a trailer that should be done that way.
I have grown weary of replacing boards; however, the trailer does spend its life in the elements.

JW

Back