Reaction score
Aspens

8B45DFA9-B2CF-422C-9056-8DEDE0E3E1AC.jpeg

1EA24002-CDEF-4437-AEB6-AC8CFF027718.jpeg

C37A3AC8-339F-4854-B1AA-FDA315D7194E.jpeg

14E22E30-0B73-4040-9877-D406CB8CDB04.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
When you're pretty sure you've honed in on the problem, lol.
Vehicle electrical control module from an '04 Audi A4. Came in to the shop with the wipers not working, except sometimes they'd come on by themselves, signals would work then not, various lights would come on for no reason then go off, or stay on forever along with misc other phantom electrical problems. Followed my nose to the burnt electrical smell and knew I was getting close when I dropped the module down to get at the wiring connectors and water ran out of it. Anyways, $600 for the module plus labor to find the problem and fix it, some burned wiring repair and find then find/repair the water leak. Grand total of almost $1,000. Ain't the modern automobile grand?:p
DSC00363.JPG
DSC00364.JPG

Camtron

Reaction score
Oh, Just super lol
Took 7 weeks for a local Chevy dealership to fix my girlfriends, Stepdads Tahoe. Took it in because his dome light kept randomly coming on and turning off while driving, parked, even when the car was turned off.
Gets it back, and about 30 hours later, the starter goes out; two week waiting list to get it back into the Chevy dealership for warranty replacement lmfao
... I still wouldn’t mind an RS3 in the garage one day lol

55C859EF-8116-4CEC-A9B7-8CA3A827F3DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Just about done with the down pipe. Runs up into the fender and follows it around. As BudW pointed out in an earlier post, that fender is about guaranteed to get roasted now. I wonder if they’re going to wrap it or insulate it in some fashion.

8FB914C0-2C95-4E8C-A187-5236CD8CFCE7.jpeg

A349B527-7DF0-4C1D-86C6-4E19BF74BEE5.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you can afford to pay someone else to work on the Audi maybe,,,,, as long as it isn't me, LOL! They cost twice as much as a non-German car just to change the oil, not to mention anything else more involved. I worked on those things for 5 years at the dealer here and every time I get one in my bay at work *which fortunately is seldom) I get the heebie-jeebies and have flashbacks.

We're scheduling over a week out also. Been that way for the past couple years straight with no time to relax, not even one single slow day. Guess we're doing something right to have that much business.

I'm thinking some sort of heat wrap/insulation would be a wise idea on that down pipe.

Camtron

Reaction score
A small part of a farmers private collection in ,North Dakota...need to get me farm subsidies, lol

2DDE72CC-B95A-409B-86E5-292D126FA9C2.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Yea, that’s an hp70 8 speed mated to a LA small block

47EEF199-5C8B-4E94-88D2-B43851E4A84E.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Any more to the story on that LA with the HP70?
View attachment 38515
BudW
Guy picked up a wrecked Chrysler 300c and is going to eventually stuff the engine into 72 dart swinger and he also bought the HP70 from a guy who wrecked a challenger hellcat. He has most of a center console, shifter, gauge cluster from a Challenger done and wired into the car. Idk if the HP70 is a direct bolt on or not to the LA engines but, I don’t see an adapter plate or any indication the bell house was modified from the pictures. He’s planning on running this combo for a little while until he can get the Hemi into the car.

B39444EE-A6D3-42EE-AF55-886F6853B609.jpeg

B45076D2-895D-4695-BC5E-2A0663D98075.jpeg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
As noticed, it will bolt onto the block without issues.
The flexplate, I can't comment about (too new for me to know).

The crankshaft position sensor hole is very close to the engine flange and I “think” is also a sensor for the transmission computer.
The only hard part will be the computer that operates the transmission, transmission mounting, propeller shaft attachment and speedometer drive. If the computer is combined with the engine computer one might have problems. If transmission computer is separate, then you might have a winning combo there.

If the propeller shaft flange looks like this:
14 5.7l 6spd.jpg

Then the differential flange will need to also look like this:
MB Yoke.jpg

and U-joints like this:
983_SK935601.jpg

BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
I’m trying to get more info out of them but, I don’t think they’re eager to share. As far as I can find online, this is a first for a LA and HP70 to go together...but still isn’t in/or moving a car down the road just yet.

Edit: once it’s in the car, they will do a write up on how they made it happen. I’ll be sure to post it here when they do.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The 8HP70/845RE transmission is based off and licensed from European ZF 8HP55 transmission with ZF approved Chrysler modifications. The transmission does have a separate transmission computer (which is good) but they put it in a not so good location.
Electronics, in general, do not like to get wet, don’t like heat and don’t like vibrations. Well . . . this computer is actually inside of the transmission, soaked in and baking in ATF. I can’t comment about vibrations, but WHY put an item that doesn’t like to get wet or hot, inside of an automatic transmission? (no need to answer that).

To purchase a computer – it comes with the valve body attached. If you purchase valve body – it comes with the computer, as well - and it is not cheap (about $1,200 (US) - the last I checked) and a new computer/valve body needs to be programmed before transmission can be used (ie: Dealership).

Here is a good link that talks more about that transmission: 845RE / 8R70: ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Chrysler cars .

Can't wait to hear more.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The TCM is inside many transmissions, bathed in fluid and very, very, very seldom do they fail. Actually, the fail even less than that so nothing to worry about. The external, underhood mounted ones fail more often, and that's still rare. Water and even worse, water with road salt dissolved in it, are what kill them if the case seal leaks and inside the trans, no water or salt (hopefully!).

BTW, the crank position sensor is only for the engine. Transmissions have separate input and output speed sensors (many times 4 or 5 of them total).

A stand alone trans controller is about the only way I can see that trans working with an LA engine since the TCM gets much of it's input data from the ECM (and even the ABS module in certain cases). I'm curious to see what they do to get it all to work. All I do know is, it's way beyond my capabilities!

A little off the topic thing. My mother's cousin (I think he is, or was, her cousin) owned a ranch in Kansas. I remember once hearing him mention he had 2 guys who work full time just maintaining the fence around the ranch,,,,,,,,,,80 miles of fence. When they'd get back to where they started weeks earlier, it was time to start back around again. Darn cattle are hard on fences it seems. It was a wooden double rail type fence. He bought a brand new Caddy every year, probably out of pocket change, lol! Almost like one of those Texas ranchers "Time to trade in the Lincoln, ashtrays are full". Sounds like he was a successful farmer as well. Not sure but I imagine he's passed away by now. It's been 45 years since then.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Turbo, stroker 318 update: cold side is mocked into position. Just waiting on the HD clamps from, Vibrant performance to get everything cut and welded down solid. Intercooler is built around a 1000hp Garrett core.

686E5A50-FB25-484D-8105-1F540822F3F1.jpeg

AE6F21B9-E082-4AC3-AFBD-3BA1A8424A3A.jpeg

4B97C97D-9C76-4ABD-9F9E-C6C285063D30.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that enough radiator for engine and for the water/air intercooler?

I would think the coolant pipes would need to be larger for the intercooler. It looks like the coolant fitting close to the exhaust should have been moved outwards a tad.

Anything going in front of the radiator (like a pusher fan motor)?

There is more than enough room to put the A/C compressor up top.

Some extra fine work there.
BudW

Camtron

Reaction score
BK Fab responded: that this will be more than enough to keep both turbo and engine cool. Has a large duel electric fans pulling air through the radiator as is. These Garrrett Intercooler cores are used by Roush, Mercedes AMG, Ford SVT and others in cars that produce over 1,000hp and can/are ran consistently at high rpm, so this should be more than enough for short weekend cruises and occasional trips down the drag strip.

Back