Second Chance at a MOPAR the "BlackBird" build

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'll try to clean it up-apologies Nocar340. I think you are a very stand up good guy. -my spat was only meant to be an explanation was bitter whining of my stripped privacy. i'll try not to wiener it up anymore
It wasn't meant as a harassment or with any ill intent--hence the smiley face. The good Captain got the gist of it and stated it best.

As far as your minor rant about privacy, I'm getting a little psychotic about it myself. I do not easily give out my phone number, I have an add-on on my browser that show me whether a link is tracked by anyone and another one that allows me to control advertising or tracking cookies of any sort--I even adjusted my Flash settings to not allow any storage of information on my computer. I do not have a smartphone because I do not want a GPS locator in my life (do you think those satellites were placed for your benefit?). Your Facebook phone app can hear what's happening in the background of your location. I uninstalled Microsoft Silverlight because it can be remotely configured to turn on the webcam/microphone on your laptop without your consent, approval or knowledge even though I refuse to buy a computer with either built-in. Anyone with a good enough scan tool can plug into your OBD-II port and tell if you've been driving over the speed limit or erratically--that's why it's law; the government doesn't give a rat's ass whether your car is easy to diagnose and repair. I don't have international service on my phone, so a Canadian friend recently suggested I call him using a Facebook service. I politely declined. It's bad enough that the NSA is listening, but Zuckerberg can just go piss up a rope. :icon_biggrin:

I'm not paranoid, but I'm both awake and intelligent... and Ted Kacynski looks a little less insane every day.

There's my rant on privacy, and I didn't even get involved with the scary shit in your cable TV/internet service provider's fiber-optic system (which I used to design).

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
The sub-frame repair begins today. I have sections of sub-frame from the donor car and some angle iron. its about 10 here as a courtesy to the neighbors I don't use power tools until after 10 so game on! I have to do this first because I have parts on order from rockauto.com and if I can fix this before they come in I will be able to spray bomb the engine compartment and install the engine and trans and mock up the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder sooner. like greymouser7 said 90 days and counting!

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I would prefer to do show and tell on the subframe when its done because its UGLY right now. I have been taking pics though.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I hope you have lots of braces welded into position to hold the car in shape when you cut out that section of frame... the car's probably gonna want to bend instantly.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Yes I would have braced it if I were cutting more than what I did. Put 8 hours into it today and probably 8 more tomorrow. I know it is hard to believe but there was still plenty of good thick weldable material left. Just looking forward to moving on from this because I really want that engine in the car so I can free up space in my garage again. its like I only have a path now and no working room.

Also a side note rock auto send me my pressure plate bolts and I only received 5 out of 6 so I am trying to get them to send another one to me. :BangHead:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
20140806_164050.jpg
calling it a day...

20140806_164050.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
You are taking a break...from cutting/welding.

Im really looking forward to the pictures, and keeping up with this project. Gives me that much more motivation to learn how to weld.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
You are taking a break...from cutting/welding.

Im really looking forward to the pictures, and keeping up with this project. Gives me that much more motivation to learn how to weld.

I am endulging in a choice 40oz brew. I will be posting pics of the entire frame welding process including the drenching of the existing frame in OSPHO to convert the rusty metal into iron phosphate. I just know better than to post pics of an unfinished job because it is easily picked apart. Dont worry though I am taking pics of every step of the process and believe me it is UGLY at first but the finish is not so bad. These things take time and so far it has taken me me 8 hours to get almost half way done with a 30 inch cap.. now I will say in advance my method for repairing this problem is by no means the best possible way to do this. It is however the most economical way I could think of and either way will achieve similar results. If you want your frame rail to look like a new unmolested frame then I would completely replace the entire frame rail. One thing about these cars is that the reason they are not full frame cars is because the structural load is passed onto the actual body of the car. Much like an aircraft the body of our beloved MOPARS are UNIBODY. the actual subframe of a mopar is a VERY critical part of the car. I cannot stress enough if repair is to be done on a subframe OVERKILL must be your plan. Dont worry if this doesn't make sense pics are to come.

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I had to put one more coat of OSPHO since a little rusty red showed, after it dried It was ready for paint.

20140807_095710.jpg
20140807_142049.jpg

20140807_095710.jpg

20140807_142049.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Here is my CHEAP idea for the rear seat cover...hog-ring on a Mexican Blanket they are 74 inchesx 50 inches and are 12.99 each I think 2 would do it..I might get three and do the bottom of the bucket seats to match.
c_red_charcoal_white_wm__83338.1357853520.290.270.jpg

c_red_charcoal_white_wm__83338.1357853520.290.270.jpg

Back