sooo,i bought this..kicks tire,and no,it doesnt have a hemi

beatersRus

Reaction score
Non flippin AC? Thats ok. A stripper.
heck yeah no power Anything cept brakes and steering.
thats less weight and easy repairs if anything breaks.
car really has some good things going for it.

all cept that am radio lol,i could use a different radio setup that fits that space.
would prefer a newer factory one but still older setup.
like the ones with the tape deck And the cd and the little joystick for the speakers.
( hint hint to anyone )

Trey

Reaction score
I'm not a lot of help on the M body cars but I will say that is a great looking car. I've never seen one like it and I'm glad you're bringing her back. There are lots of guys on here that can help with your restoration and I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck with it.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Oldiron likes pro 15, just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet.:cool:

Ele115

Reaction score
I see 8 year old cars people have moved here with that have a lot more rust than that one. The ones from New England seem to be rust buckets very soon after leaving the showroom. Ontario too. Ours tend to rust around the windshields first near the top from wet debris in the pinch weld

kmccabe56

Reaction score
in fact,it doesnt even have a motor....yet.
lol.

hi folks,im an old fart whos gotten himself into a bit of trouble here with this car.
its a 1980 lebaron salon coupe thats grey? silver?
faded is a good word,with red interior.
it has original wheels and seems like most of the parts were there Except under the hood is Bare,no nothing.
it came originally with a slant 6 auto trans,and im not real sure what rearend this is.
plus this thing has what looks to be brand new bushings/body mounts and the entire k frame is new or completely refurbed,im not sure which,but it looks pristine/newish.
the body seems? good and the interior is mostly Really nice except for the headliner.

i was doing a cleanout job for a lady when i saw this car sitting in the trailer park and figured why not ask?
an amazingly low wad of cash later and its now sitting in line with the rest of the herd.
yes,the bumpers front nosepiece/grill and rear tailights and bumper were all in storage there and in Vcg as well.
looks like someone was getting ready to paint the car the underhood area is done already.

however,im kinda not up to speed at all with this odd torsion bar setup on these cars.
looks like they made more space but the steering linkage runs across the rear instead of the front of the engine bay.
im gonna try and post some pics,
and id appreciate you fellas sharing some thoughts on what i should do with this roller?
as in what would you do with it? am i wasting my time?

my thoughts were originally to stick the 318 magnum in and get a big cam with a good vertor and some 373 gears and go have fun blowing peoples doors off with it.
i dont think anyone would see this thing coming.

i do have an la 360 rebuilt but with truck pan and mounts and a 727
i also have a 318 magnum,same thing,
truck pan and mounts And that would need a magnum carbed intake.

View attachment 35438
View attachment 35439 View attachment 35440 View attachment 35441 View attachment 35442 View attachment 35443 View attachment 35444 View attachment 35445
View attachment 35447

View attachment 35446
We'll need a photo of the front header panel to confirm, but there's a good chance this car is an LS. LeBaron's answer to a Mirada CMX. All the sport looking bits, but as you've found, it could be had with any engine offered. Firm Feel is the place to go to improve the car's handling. Poly bushings on the sway bar, another, but smaller bar on the back and some good KYB shocks will all work well. As for brakes, find yourself a '79 Cordoba with the 11.875" rotors, grab the caliper mount, swap it on to this car and with new rotors you'll have bigger front brakes. If you really want to up the brakes look for an `up to' 97 B100 van with an 8¼" rear axle, and grab the backing plates and some of the internal hardware bits and you can have 11" drums on the rear. Just watch that the right rear doesn't lock up early. You've already got 15" wheels, so just one size up on the first number, one size down on the second number and you've got a nice improvement in the footprints.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Love to find a M coupe v8 for reasonable money,Ha ha ha
One near here 6500 with /6...
Beautiful car but pricey in my book..

beatersRus

Reaction score
phase 2
style of wheels and hood scoop determined.
painter located,waiting for time to get estimate.
blaster located,waiting for appt.
motor trans located,318 magnum with a518 trans.
need cam and any recommendations you have for this build.
convertor is 2800 stall.
rearend 8.8 with 3:73 gears.

only thing lacking now is leaf springs,a fuel setup and a wiring harness for the front of the car.
also,i Hate the way these bumpers stick out in the back a country mile off the body....
thats going to Need to be fixed.

029.JPG

033.JPG

Duke5A

Reaction score
This car is getting a new lease on life. Looks great.

You looking for a hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller?

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Oh yeah! That is starting to look great. Ruby red is a good choice for color. Was it originally red? I wondered because of the color of the engine compartment. Those wheels are great and that roof line is fantastic! This will be an interesting project to follow! ;)

beatersRus

Reaction score
This car is getting a new lease on life. Looks great.

You looking for a hydraulic flat tappet or hydraulic roller?

well,i didnt want to give away the whole game,but,
i need to build a 318 magnum that can take a turbo without blowing up,
been researching the turbo creations on youtube.
also i need for this 518 trans to go into the car.

Duke5A

Reaction score
well,i didnt want to give away the whole game,but,
i need to build a 318 magnum that can take a turbo without blowing up,
been researching the turbo creations on youtube.
also i need for this 518 trans to go into the car.

Heh, outside of my wheelhouse. Forced induction has different requirements vs NA motors. If there isn't anyone here familiar boosted motors you may want to head over to Moparts.

Car sounds it's going to be an absolute riot.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Forged pistons, quality low end hardware, colder plugs, wider gapped rings, and low compression. MPFI, timing control with a knock sensor, and good gas will let you cheat a little on the compression part. Use at least the EngineQuest Magnum reproduction heads because they fixed the factory cracking problem. Someone on ebay sells cheap front-exit turbo manifolds for the Magnum pattern.

Note: Stay conservative with the cam so you spool earlier. A lack in top end is an easy problem to fix when you have boost.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Forged pistons, quality low end hardware, colder plugs, wider gapped rings, and low compression. MPFI, timing control with a knock sensor, and good gas will let you cheat a little on the compression part. Use at least the EngineQuest Magnum reproduction heads because they fixed the factory cracking problem. Someone on ebay sells cheap front-exit turbo manifolds for the Magnum pattern.

Note: Stay conservative with the cam so you spool earlier. A lack in top end is an easy problem to fix when you have boost.

Is there such a thing as an aftermarket ECU that includes provisions for a knock sensor? I thought those sensors had be calibrated to the motors during the design process.

Opticon77

Reaction score
KS-3 Knock Detection and Engine Tuning Systems

The sensors themselves are just a piezoelectric crystal and a resistor. If you bolt a standard wide range Bosch sensor to your intake and hook it to a pair of low impedance headphones it works like a stethoscope. We did this on the Fury's 392 Poly Stroker as part of our on-road tuning along with tailpipe A/F. The calibration part comes in because you need the ECU to do what your brain does automatically and single out the right noise when it's communicated as a voltage signal. It's rare in aftermarket ECUs but the MPFI Magnum engines should already have a factory sensor so it shouldn't be hard to piggyback.

The knock frequency itself is relative to piston diameter (like ringing a bell). A standard bore 318 should be around 5.8 kHz.

Around 2:40 is what you hear if you're listening to a knock sensor with headphones unfiltered. Knock is the crackling noise.

Last edited:

beatersRus

Reaction score
well i hadda roll it back into the lineup today.
looks like ill need a parts car to finish it,
as the entire wiring harness in front is gone and bumper brackets as well.
gonna have to start throwing money at it soon.
did have a little fun with a light bar from my old fury cop car.

005.JPG

rukinleon

Reaction score
How far from Buffalo NY? There's an 80/81 Lebaron in our yard (M&M U Pull It) with a /6. I don't think the harness has been cut.

rukinleon

Reaction score
I take that back, someone cut off the header and cut the headlight wires. I may still have an 87 Dip harness, 318.

beatersRus

Reaction score
okay after melting my brain on the turbo do-s and donts ive decided to postpone that joy.
wayyyy too much chancey stuff and engine melting for anything less than a full kit install.

so im going to proceed with the 318 magnum with the 500/518 overdrive trans for now.
get the car up and going again,and ready it for paint and por-15.

can someone give me tips and advice on the install of this transmission?
i see theres a huge pinch weld going across the roof of my tunnel > should i cut that off?
also,im thinking id like to be around 2800 stall,with a good cam in the 318.

parts i know ill need
car pan and pickup for the 318 magnum motor.
cam selection for the 318
motor was freshened recently so ?
new 4 bbl intake for magnum motor...or..how to use an la manifold?

Back