sooo,i bought this..kicks tire,and no,it doesnt have a hemi

M Body General Discussion

1. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

You know, we never did ask what what your budget is for this project. You've got to factor in chassis upgrades and drive line as well. Are we looking at fast & reliable or more towards the Roadkill end of things?

and Oldiron440 brought up an interesting point. A gen3 Hemi block will hold a 1,000 HP. SB is good for 500 and BB 700. What's your power goal? Track car or more street? Looking for a specific quarter time?

2. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

There is a popular alternative to the Chinese turbo and that is a turbo off a diesel turbo like the Cummins or power stroke. Generally they are to big but they work and are cheap. Then buy good a wastgate and the plumbing and your ready to go. Hotrod did a thing, actually it was Roadkill where thay did it to a 5.0 mustang motor. I think I posted a video of it here before so I won't again but it was impressive.
    I think it would be possible to make over 500 hp cheaply but your going to be up against the limit of the block.
    It would work for awhile.

3. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

The Rotson! I loved that series. Too bad it's all behind a paywall now.

Car consisted of a 5.0 from a Fox body Mustang. Factory forged pistons they regapped the rings in. Thing was an absolute animal.

4. Oldiron440

550 hp 600+ lbs of torque!
    They use a junkyard turbo and made 18 lbs of boost.

5. beatersRus

beatersRus Active Member

i think ill stick to my original plan,which was to use the 318 magnum with a bigger cam and the 500 overdrive trans with the 373 rear.
    all the rest of that can wait.

ill research the boosted big blocks,
    as i think that may be where i would like to be on the next go around with this car.
    thanks for the help.
    all thats left is cam choices vertor choices and getting things done.
    ill be stripping the parts car this weekend so shout out if you need something.

6. picklesgarage

picklesgarage Member

7. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

I did read you have a plan for now but something to maybe consider.

I know not mentioned, but nitrous with a progressive controller can come on easy/soft just like a spinner can and maybe a $600 buy in if you pic parts right will net you 300ft lbs of added tq. Oddly alot of nitrous kits say 100 150hp shot but fail to mention the tq increase.
    Stock motors can live on a 150-200 shot for a long time using a controller with the benefit of all the stock features when just wanting to drive.

Obviously if your wanting 10 big smile runs a day, not the best option.

Your project is dam cool though.

beatersRus likes this.
  8. beatersRus

beatersRus Active Member

ty sir..
    i am wondering,do they make Any kind of fiberglass for these cars?
    as in hoods.

and yes to the omni guy,that one is cracked and ive been looking for another one.

picklesgarage likes this.
  9. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

Some might say I have a plethora of parts in my garage (well, all but the parts I actually need …).

When I got my ’86 Fifth Ave, I started to look at what I wanted to do with that car.
    First thought was 4-bbl, camshaft and so forth for the original 318.
    A few weeks labor, a 360 was on the brain with a few more parts added to the mix.
    About a month later, it was a built 340 (even had a 340 in the garage at the time).
    About 2 months after that, was a stroked 360 (410 ci or so) with even more money projected.

I then had to think what my purpose for the car was, what is my goal, did I have any parts already in garage and how much money to spend.

I can’t remember that far back (when decision was made on which direction as what I had to work with), but currently, in my garage, is a ’84 318 police engine, ’79 360, ’84 360, ’70 V-code 440 (from my ’70 300/H), 440 motorhome engine (which was bought for its transmission), a NOS 440 short block (now sold) and two (2) NOS 400 short blocks with about a dozen transmissions of various types.

What I finally settled on, for my daily driven cars, was a pair of stroked 400 big blocks. An A727 (or A518, not decided yet) for the ’86 Fifth Ave. The other 400 will be mated behind a 5 (or 6) speed standard for my ’77 wagon. I highly prefer manual transmissions – but leaving the Fifth Ave an auto so wife can drive it.

Currently, I’m still in part procurement mode (and gathering more $$$ mode).
    So far, the stroker kits, stealth heads, coated custom pistons, aluminum water pump housings, intakes, and tons of other parts are in garage and ready for assembly. I also made a decision not to go into debt for this, so getting parts as I can afford 'em.
    BudW

Duke5A, beatersRus and Ele115 like this.
  10. beatersRus

beatersRus Active Member

sounds like you are way farther along than i am.
    still trying to figure out what cam to go with and youve got everything already on the table lol.

i discovered that the bb motor the guy wanted to trade me is leaking water from the head gasket area on d side....apparently he was running it on alky and it got hot...
    so im going to skip that joy and search elsewhere for the elusive bb combo.
    which further puts me in 318magnum mode for now,to get the car up and running.

btw,i really like that you have a volare station wagon.
    bitd,when i was a youngun,i used to ride the highways down in raleigh nc,
    and change peoples tires and gas them up for small fees.
    usually whatever they felt like giving.
    my wheels of choice?
    a 77 aspen wagon that i built a nice 318 up for and cruised everywheres,
    loaded with tools and spares and gas cans.
    some really good memories w that car.

11. Oldiron440

My Fbody was a 440 car the day I bought it but it had a /6 in it. I have two 440s for it the first is/was a low compression stock stroke 440 the other is the 500" 440 with a 12.5 compression ratio.
    My Volare was bought to be a home for a 440....nothing else.

Duke5A likes this.