The FMJ Weather Channel

Justwondering

Reaction score
that is definitely worse.
However, you live a few miles north of the red river.

I should be complaining about the heat right now, not the cold. bleh

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's 50 here at noon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mostly sunny, pretty much no wind and it feels soooooooo good! Upper 50's this weekend and 60 on Monday. Maybe, just maybe, spring is finally here.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I can't get my hopes up with spring, it's snowed in northern Iowa in May.

Justwondering

Reaction score
We should be in the mid 70s and low 80s.
Tomorrow we are promised rain and might make it to 60's.
Another cold front coming through.... ugh.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I can't get my hopes up with spring, it's snowed in northern Iowa in May.
Same here. A few years ago we got 18" of snow the third week of May. For that matter, I remember snow in August one time. Mowing the lawn in the middle of August with a hat, gloves and winter coat on (40 degrees with a 25 degree wind chill) and then,,,,,,,,,,freak snow storm. WTF?????????????????? All in the life of living in Wisconsin I guess.
I am only confident spring is truly here when I hear the frogs at night. Until then, nothing is guaranteed, winter could make a return engagement at any time. I've never known the frogs to be wrong, not even once. How they know, is a mystery.

Latest is 60 on Sunday and upper 60's for Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's amazing how everyone's mood improved 1000% yesterday with the 50's and sunshine. It's about freaking time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A little over a month later and that 30" snowfall is just a bad memory. This is warmer than it got the entire year of 2017 around here. Last year, I think I had the furnace turned off a grand total of about 2 weeks, and not all in a row. Last year it also rained every other day (seemingly). The past month it's hardly rained at all, maybe an inch at the most. Fire danger signs say "EXTREMELY HIGH" and all open burning is banned, including camp fires. Can you say tinder box? Sure, I knew you could, lol.
may 26 2018.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
All I know is my grass grew 6" this week!!!!

Last year lawn was mowed every other week....

volare 77

Reaction score
You guys must have good soil. My sand lot only grows weeds. I still have to cut once a week.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have a four legged fertilizer that draws more four legged helppers.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You guys must have good soil. My sand lot only grows weeds. I still have to cut once a week.
My yard is a cross between thick, lush grass where it's more shaded along with weeds and bare spots. I used to water and fertilize all the time and then decided it wasn't worth it for the amount of improvement it made. The "soil" is very sandy and lots of rocks. When you dig, it's about 2" of a dirt like substance, then sand, which becomes pebbles and as you go deeper, you run into rocks at about 18", then boulders and then what is seemingly a solid shelf of stone about 3-4 feet down. That's why very few houses in the area mine is, have basements. Blasting is required ($$$$$$). Heck, my house only has a foundation that goes 18" deep (frost line is 48") but the house is perfectly level after 75 years and you get no drywall cracks. I guess rock isn't affected by frost, lol.
Hit a new record yesterday, 95 degrees. Fortunately, only abut 20% humidity. Today is going to be warmer except that it rained last night and now that the sun is out and evaporating the water,,,,,,,,,,it's just a tad on the muggy side, although in the past hour it feels like the humidity is much lower. NOT COMPLAINING. After months of cold and snow, and more cold, then more snow,,,,,,,,,,this is great!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Figure this one out. Last Saturday at 5 pm it was sunny and 94 degrees. Today at 5pm it's pouring rain and a sweltering 53 degrees.................. Go from A/C cranked up full blast to the furnaces turned back on within a weeks time. :(Sigh.........................

Justwondering

Reaction score
Heat index is 106F today.
Sigh.
I swear, last time we had a spring like this was 1980 and it wound up with 72 days of 100 degree temps
I am now dreading this summer.
JW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
We just had the driest May on record with under 2MM of rain for the entire month and temps 20 degrees F above normal. Rain is supposed to roll in tomorrow though.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Cold, windy, overcast, dark and damp today. It MIGHT have got up to 55 at some point. Sucked pretty much all my ambition right out of me. As typical though,,,,,,Monday is going to be mostly sunny and 78. Guess who is taking their Aspen to work tomorrow?

We had the coldest April on record this year and on the other side of it, the 2nd warmest May in recorded history. That's Wisconsin for you. Might be 60 in January and then get snow in August. Keeps it interesting:D

Back