The Rescue of a 1984 Plymouth Fury

Poly

Reaction score
This car appears to have two front sway bars

The torsion bars. The adjuster on the driver's side will increase or decrease the tension for the passenger side. The adjuster on the passenger side is probably close to the fuel pump.

A lesson I learned: If the shocks pass the bounce test, if the steering parts are not worn, leave the GD front end alone. Finding a shop that would do an alignment on a 80's vehicle was difficult because it wasn't "in the computer".

Aspen500

Reaction score
Any decent shop should have the program on the alignment machine. Our's has vehicles from the early '50's (with some makes/models I never heard of before) all the way to 2018 and it isn't exactly state of the art. It's over 20 years old but gets updated every year. Yes, they are always a year behind (update in 2020 will ad the 2019 vehicles). I suppose it helps to find a shop with a bunch of "experienced techs" that have been doing it for 30-40 years and remember working on cars of the '70's and '80's, like where I work. There's 5 of us and I've got 35 years in, and the other 4 are a couple years either side of that. Now that I think of it, damn, I'm getting old.....................:(

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Any decent shop should have the program on the alignment machine. Our's has vehicles from the early '50's (with some makes/models I never heard of before) all the way to 2018 and it isn't exactly state of the art. It's over 20 years old but gets updated every year. Yes, they are always a year behind (update in 2020 will ad the 2019 vehicles). I suppose it helps to find a shop with a bunch of "experienced techs" that have been doing it for 30-40 years and remember working on cars of the '70's and '80's, like where I work. There's 5 of us and I've got 35 years in, and the other 4 are a couple years either side of that. Now that I think of it, damn, I'm getting old.....................:(
I had a young tech inspecting my 97 Ram 1500 RWD. Couldn't figure out where the tiny bit of play in the front end was. He had never seen a greasable, adjustable wheel bearing. I guess I'm getting old too!

Coronet 14

Reaction score
Fender tag pictures Don't mind my Solar Dome

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Coronet 14

Reaction score
I knew what you meant. I did some research and looked up the paint codes and interior codes. I found some old brochures. It appears that the closest color I found for paint is Sable Brown BT8 but it doesn't match the fender code. Interior appears to be Beige. The only full vinyl bench seat color available according to the 1984 brochure.

Poly

Reaction score
No, I didn't mean it that way. What I meant was, a good shop will be able to do it and if they can't (or won't), there are those that will. No offense intended!

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I found both BT8 and PT8 listed as Sable Brown solid (non-metallic) for 1983-1985. No idea what, if any, difference there is between the two. Can't tell from the pics if the underhood paint on your car is solid or metallic. Possibly the listing I found is wrong and either BT8 or PT8 is metallic(?).

Coronet 14

Reaction score
I'm working on the rear brakes. Is there supposed to be a bar that goes between the shoes? I'v never seen a rear axle brake drum without one but this car doesn't have one on either side

002.JPG

Poly

Reaction score
This is what I've got in comparison. A 1983 J, though. There is a bar under the wheel cylinder with a blue spring.

018.JPG

Duke5A

Reaction score
You're not going to find that bar in hardware kits. Someone here will probably have them or you could go junk yarding. Don't know if 11" drum breaks use the same lever. Unless someone knows then be sure to get one from a car or truck with 10" drums.

Coronet 14

Reaction score
Worked on one side of rear brakes today Haven't done much to it in a while due to my rheumatoid arthritis acting up.

005.JPG

006.JPG

Coronet 14

Reaction score
Also did a little wiring work the Radio wiring is a where is Waldo search. I figured out the rear speaker wiring and the Keyed 12 volt power. There is no 12 power to the radio except when the key is on. I ran a jumper wire to the positive Battery side for 12 volt power. What I did today was just to figure out this mess. I have a question The Red wire with tape is the 12 volt keyed power But the other Red wire and Orange wire have no power What are these wires for My repair manual doesn't have Radio wiring diagram Thanks

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Back