The Rescue of a 1984 Plymouth Fury

Projects & Restorations

1. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

The front speakers are in and wired up. All instrument cluster lights work now. The headlight panel light works now also. Had to make a tiny mod to it. The radio is hooked up and working. Just on the front speakers for now. Had to cut out all the crappy wiring someone did and rewire it all. The wiring is much cleaner now. I had to replace every socket and bulb in both circuit boards in order to get all that to work.

002.JPG

003.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

2. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

t
    Are you still looking for one? I have an extra one, the chromes kind of pitted, but you can have for the cost of shipping if you want

3. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

I found one I need to find the proper base for it. Installed the rear speakers today. Instead of hacking the metal shelf to fit the speakers I just mounted them under it

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

4. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

That's what I did with the rear speakers in my car also. The speaker is bigger than the opening but I just couldn't bring myself to cut the hole bigger.

5. Darth-Car

Darth-Car Well-Known Member

I hope those front speakers are not to tall when you go to put the dash back on. If they would end up hitting the dash than that would press down on the main speaker giving it no travel, and your sound will be lousy.

Some folks have also experienced problems with front speakers having to much magnetic power from overly large magnets. This in turn causes funky problems with the display and accuracy of the ammeter, and the temperature gauge.

6. Opticon77

Opticon77 Well-Known Member

Oh good lord what a mess. Get you some 5x7 to 6x9 adapters.

183481d1478964500-there-proper-adapter-6x9-speaker-into-6x8-hole-11-12-16_0950.jpg

And the coaxial tweeters in the front are on stalks that travel through the main driver cone and secure to the frame. Nothing will be pressing on the surrounds but you really don't want any pressure twisting the frame and vibrating it apart either.

7. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

It appears that the front speakers are the same size as the originals. I wish I would have known about the rear speaker adapters before I drilled new holes. At least the person before me didn't destroy the speaker holes. I'm trying to track down an oem radiator for it. The aftermarket one that is in it has cracks under the overflow hose and in the filler neck. It also seems that something is missing. The trans lines don't go all the way to the radiator. Maybe I'm missing an aux trans cooler Just has rubber hoses going the rest of the way to the radiator.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

8. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

The steel lines don't go all the way to the radiator. Last couple inches is supposed to be rubber line. For the radiator I'm sure Champion has something in their catalog that fits. They're right around $200.

9. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

10. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

Located a base for the emblem Will be here next week. Got tires mounted on the rims. I have to move the car next week so front brakes and other stuff will have to wait. Getting Bathroom redone. I'm working on the dash stuff now. I ordered a can of BT8 Sable Brown. I sprayed a small area on underside of Trunk and it appears to be a match. The interior dash color and carpet appears to originally be body color. Cleaning the dash pad and got some of the black spray paint off shows a dark brown color. So I'm going to try to remove as much of the spray paint as I can and get some Dye paint of the BT8 and coat it. Had to remove backseat to get right rear door open. Both rear windows were wired closed. Cut the wires. The rear window motors on both sides run but the windows don't move

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  11. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

12. Coronet 14

Coronet 14 Active Member

I'm going to paint the metal speaker cover dash piece with the paint. I'm trying to find the Sable Brown color for the dash pad and other plastic pieces around the dash in a spray can. I can only find it in Quart size. I found Cordovan Brown but not sure it will be a close match.

13. 80mirada

80mirada Well-Known Member

The window motors probably needs new drive gears.