360 Magnum

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok got the magnun back, the 360 LA cam bearings are in place now, the crank has been polished, the mains are good to go the big ends need replacing, I picked up some perfect circle ford rings for the magnum on out local auction site and I have a set of Clevite CB-481P big end bearings to go in, just waiting on my buddy to pop over and hone it out and we should be all good to go. Spent a few hours cleaning out all the ring groves, it sure does get backed on! The bore wear is minimal, so when she is back together she will be a pretty good over hauled engine! Although over hauled be pretty close to a rebuilt motor!

New Cam
New EQ Heads
New Rings
New BE bearings
New oil pump
New Lifters
New Cam bearings
New double roller timing chain
New Water Pump
New cam chain tensioner
Rebuilt alternator
New air gap intake
New Rear main
I have a choice of my low mileage 600 holley or my new 770 street avenger

Bruceynz

Reaction score
my buddy turned up today with his hone. He honed it, then we washed/scrubbed it with washing up liquid, hosed it down, washed it with diesel, cleaned it off with rags, then covered in CRC. If my roller lifters arrive next week can pop it together next weekend.

honed and new LA cam bearings

hone1.jpg
hone2.jpg
hone3.jpg

hone4.jpg

Last edited:

MoparKidD-4

Reaction score
Nice work... just a tip though, toss those cork end gaskets for the intake manifold in the trash (you guys say 'rubbish' down there? lol) and just run a fat bead of oil-resistant RTV silicone (Permatex Ultra Black here in U.S.) along the surface right before you drop the intake on. Sometimes those cork gaskets are too thick and don't let the manifold seat properly on the head surfaces.

If I end up keeping my 5th Ave for the long haul I will most likely swap in a stock 5.2L Magnum with factory (or some cheap alternative) EFI and something like an A-500 OD trans. Much better fuel economy and an extra ~50 HP over the current roller-cam LA 318 as a bonus.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This weekends progress, frost/freeze plugs in, alternator and power steering pump back on, belt on, harmonic damper on (135ft lbs is a big pull) thermostat housing on, bolted trans up for fitment and starter hits block and headers hit truck engine mount so grindy grind time next! Enjoy the eye candy. Found a good use for skate board. Oh I almost forgot the intake is on! That was a mission, the holes were out by 1mm thats is imperial 40 thou, I consulted the machine shop, he was happy to mill but advised to slot holes he said not the perfect way to do it but will save you $300 or $400 bucks! So I found the thinnest intake gaskets I could and slotted the holes, job done.

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking nice!

The only thing I see that “might” be a problem, is the P/S pump. At first glance, it looks like it and battery tray “might” want to occupy the same space.
Hopefully I’m wrong.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the Magnum installs I have seen, have either not been in an FMJ or they used the older style timing covers/pulleys/brackets.

Take that back, I did see a Magnum in an F-body using the timing cover/pulleys/brackets you have - but they used a P/S delete pulley bracket (pulley and bracket that takes the place of the P/S pump.
Belt routing is the same but pulley is smaller and belt is shorter.
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
if power steer pump clears will leave battery in the front, will find out when I go to put it back in, need to grind the block next for starter and header clearance. grrrrrr

Every weekend getting a little closer to getting the engine back in. If I could get a good solid week on it would have it done in no time, but the dreaded work gets in the way of hobbies :)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is something shiny between the engine oil pan and block. I would guess aluminum.
Can you tell us about that?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking nice!
I thought the oil pan was painted black, like the block – and wasn’t thinking chrome.

With silicon sealant – Chrome covers and pans don’t like as bad as they used to do (without sealant).

Also, I’ve never been a fan of engine chrome - which might because of fixing so many chrome covers/pan oil leaks (many years ago). I’m not saying chrome is bad, by any means, but I just got burnt out fixing them (we didn’t know what silicon sealant was, 30-35 years ago).

You can’t do this on chrome, but I like to give an extra heavy coat of paint at the (assembled) gasket areas like oil pan, timing cover, valve cover, etc.), for the paint will act as another leak preventer.

This only really applies when engine is out, like it is now.
Replacing a gasket in car – doesn’t lend itself well to do paint because of overspray and you need non-oily surfaces for paint to stick.

Brass freeze plugs don’t need paint, but steel ones do - to prevent rust.

Tip, you might want to get some wood or cardboard (or something) to protect the oil pan from sparks from grinding the block down. Those sparks are hot enough to weld onto the outside of the pan, creating rust, making the pan not as shiny and more difficult to clean.
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok this weekends progress, I managed to grind off the truck engine mount, in fact I realized I was going to be grinding all day pretty quickly so I got a cut off wheel and just cut the thing off, job done in 5mins! Tidied up around the starter. Bolted the trans on, bolted the converter in, filled with 5 quarts of oil, primed it up until oil was flowing out off all the push rods on to the rockers, bolted valve covers on, dropped the dizzy/pump drive in, popped the dizzy in, spun engine around until it blew my finger off number one, bought to TDC, lined up the dizzy, then marked block, marked number one plug, engine and trans ready to go back in the car!

upload_2017-9-24_22-4-23.png

upload_2017-9-24_22-5-23.png

oil.jpg

ready.jpg

View attachment 27061

Last edited:
Back